Pulling my boat with my F150

• Thread starter Thread starter saltybeaver
  • Start date Start date
S

saltybeaver

Just wondering how bad it is to be pulling my 21 wellcraft (2500lbs I think ) with my 1996 F150 Auto straight 6.

I have only been using it for around Nanaimo but I think I have to take it up to tahsis this week I guess I will be in four low for some of the hills .
It sure is gutless going up hills does anybody else pull a mid size boat with there f150?

I had the same problem with my 87 E150 (no power under load). I advanced the timing way past Ford spec. Advance a little then climb a hill, repeat until it starts to knock then back off a hair. Made a hell of a differance on my van.

I had the same problem with my 87 E150 (no power under load). I advanced the timing way past Ford spec. Advance a little then climb a hill, repeat until it starts to knock then back off a hair. Made a hell of a differance on my van.

Hey Salty:

The one and only time I drove into Cougar Creek with my Ford Explorer V6 pulling a 16 ft runabout, I did not think I was going to make it up the first steep hill coming back out of Cougar Creek. Temperature kept climbing, speed was down to a crawl. Those coming up behind you in logging crummies have little sympathy, I'm sure the logging trucks would be worse. Are you thinking of driving to Tahsis or Gold River? The paved road to Gold River is much more civilized, and I'd take the boat ride over the truck ride any day.

p.s. did a trip ther early June last year, got my Halibut but burned a lot of gas.

Hey Salty:

The one and only time I drove into Cougar Creek with my Ford Explorer V6 pulling a 16 ft runabout, I did not think I was going to make it up the first steep hill coming back out of Cougar Creek. Temperature kept climbing, speed was down to a crawl. Those coming up behind you in logging crummies have little sympathy, I'm sure the logging trucks would be worse. Are you thinking of driving to Tahsis or Gold River? The paved road to Gold River is much more civilized, and I'd take the boat ride over the truck ride any day.

p.s. did a trip ther early June last year, got my Halibut but burned a lot of gas.

I dont think I will have enough time by boat.
I will just go slow . thanks for the input and if I break down I will call one of you to come pick me up, any phone numbers ?

I dont think I will have enough time by boat.
I will just go slow . thanks for the input and if I break down I will call one of you to come pick me up, any phone numbers ?

I have a 542 Campion 19ft and use my 86 Bronco with a inline six and an automatic. I can also pull a buddies 21ft. I just drop to 2 gear and just take it easy. If someone comes up behind me I find somewhere to let them by. But my speed on the hills is not noticably different from anyone else.

I have a 542 Campion 19ft and use my 86 Bronco with a inline six and an automatic. I can also pull a buddies 21ft. I just drop to 2 gear and just take it easy. If someone comes up behind me I find somewhere to let them by. But my speed on the hills is not noticably different from anyone else.

salty is your truck a 4x4? man thats a hill going in but comming out its hard and you will think it never ends . thank god for the cool weather right now . and just dont stop . that gravel is loose. make sure your cooling sytem is working right. scottyboy

salty is your truck a 4x4? man thats a hill going in but comming out its hard and you will think it never ends . thank god for the cool weather right now . and just dont stop . that gravel is loose. make sure your cooling sytem is working right. scottyboy

Those inline six Ford engines have a ton of torque. Not much for speed, but they do a suprisingly good job. Just gotta have patience. Like scottyboy said though, make sure your cooling system is in good working order. Also, if you pull over after making a long haul up a steep grade, let the engine run a while to cool off. It's not so good to just turn it off after working so hard.

Those inline six Ford engines have a ton of torque. Not much for speed, but they do a suprisingly good job. Just gotta have patience. Like scottyboy said though, make sure your cooling system is in good working order. Also, if you pull over after making a long haul up a steep grade, let the engine run a while to cool off. It's not so good to just turn it off after working so hard.

OK I'll say it, 21 wellcraft is likly a good bunch over 2500 lbs loaded with fuel, gear and Beer!Hit the scale with the trailer and it will shock you.

300 CI 6cyl is a good torque puller but the Auto trans is the main concern.

Aftermarket trans cooler is going to help out a ton. The stock ones just dont have her. Keep the trans cool and it will do fine.

OK I'll say it, 21 wellcraft is likly a good bunch over 2500 lbs loaded with fuel, gear and Beer!Hit the scale with the trailer and it will shock you.

300 CI 6cyl is a good torque puller but the Auto trans is the main concern.

Aftermarket trans cooler is going to help out a ton. The stock ones just dont have her. Keep the trans cool and it will do fine.

Everyone seems to worry about pulling power and forgets about the brakes!

Everyone seems to worry about pulling power and forgets about the brakes!

Ah, you would assume the trailer has brakes. Without brakes, the setup would not be legal to take anywhere. [:X]

Back