Prop Help

Sitkaspruce

Looking to add a prop for the boat and cannot find what pitch I have now. Duhhhh....from a nice reminder from Sharphooks, I am running a 115 yammy on an 18' Hewescraft Searunner.

The markings on the prop are 2036P17 Quicksilver. A quick check on Google tells me nothing, other than an add with one saying H13.25x17p.

From this info, can I assume (which we all know what that can lead to...) that I have a 13.25X17p prop as well? Or do I have to remove the prop and look for other info.

Also, with this prop and a full boat with the usual equipment, I am running WOT 4900 rpm, should I drop to a 15" pitch or what???

Thanks.

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
It's tough to comment on whether you're over-propped or under-propped without the spex on your boat and motor.
I had a 13.25 x 17 P on a Yamaha F150 (19 ft boat) and WOT was 5,500 RPM, which was correct for the set-up and within spec for the Yamaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the edge of the hub closest to the motor , the diameter and pitch should be stamped right on it.
you should be getting 5500-6000 rpms at WOT.
If not ,sounds like you need to change props.

Hey SS

I have the same boat as you and I also have had the same problem. When I went looking for help I could'nt find any one with the same set up as us. So a couple props later I found the 15Pitch prop on my 115 will get you to the right WOT rpm you need. The boat is a little slower it goes around 35mph WOT but its better out of the hole. I normally cruz at 4600rpm and around 25-26 mph. Thats in the okanagan and at sea level the boat does have a little more jam. Hope this help I wish someone gave me these tips before I had to buy 3 props. haha only money!!!

JAC

If the size isn't stamped on the outside, take the prop off it will be stamped on the inside.Most marine stores will let you try different size props until you find the right size.

I'd say you have a quicksilver black diamond aluminum prop in 13.25"x17P size. Your RPM's are definitely to low, especially if you have a four stroke Yami. If it's a 4 stroke you should probably be turning close to 6000 RPM. I'd try a Solas Amita in a 15 pitch, they come in a 3 or 4 blade. I'd try the 4 blade with your boat and motor. The other prop I'd recommend is a Turning Point Hustler in a 15 pitch as well. Both those brands are very high quality aluminum props for the money. They both use a squeeze press manufacturing process that produces a near stainless quality prop at aluminum prices. Try either of those brands and you won't be disappointed. They are both cheaper than the Mercury aluminum props and far superior.

ss is your motor at the right height when your running too? Thats often not done right becasue its a job to change engine height when switching props can hide the fact, but maybe what should be done. Have you looked at it when someone else is driving? Should be right coming from the dealer, but we all know you cant assume anything. Other than that, yes you can prop down in pitch. sometime you can go down in diameter, but your already pretty small there so pitch is the thing to do

Thanks for all the help guys!!

I am looking at either a 13.25X15 or a 13.75X15 both in a hustler prop. Amazing deals in the US right now. Will the 1/2 inch in Diameter make any difference?? Going buy the Merc/quicksilver prop guide that CL posted, it says I need a 13.25X15 or a 13.75X15.

Yes the motor is set up right, I had that checked out when the boat would porpoise at 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Cheers

SS

Hey SS.

If you intend to buy it from the States, try the iboats.com website. Their prices are usually pretty good and they ship to Canada. I have used them and they are good to deal with. That website also has a great forum for boaing related topics. They have a page strictly for prop questions as well.

Ebay is also worth checking out. I have been getting awesome deals on a lot of boating equipment including props. With our dollar the way it is you can usually get stuff for half the price of our Marine stores here.

I have a hustler on my boat 13.25X15. I boat it through Lordco they will get it from Western Marine and if you use Lordco you don't pay shipping. I think it was 100dollars my cost for the prop and the hub!

Hi SS
I have a brand new Mercury Vengeance 15p, have to check the dia, I want to sell
I would say your definitely over propped. I think it would be okay with no load, and lots of cruising. but if you lower your pitch you will save in fuel and get better over all performance, IMHO.
And in my opinion the online prop guides, give you a idea where to start, they do NOT! mean that is the best prop. This is why I started a thread 6months ago to help all of us to get better performance out of our motors.
I'm pretty sure 115hp is a little to small for 4 blades, I'm running a Hustler and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Hey Hali, sorry to contradict you, but I tried the 4 blade Solas Amita on my 115HP and it turned higher than the Amita 3 blade in the same pitch. The 3 blade turned 5800, the 4 blade spun up to 6200 RPM. The 3 blade is 13.25" in diameter, the 4 blade is only 12 3/4" in diameter. All the factors are taken into consideration when designing a prop. That is why the 4 blade is much smaller in dia than the average prop for that size outboard. I found the 4 blade Solas Amita to be a good prop for my 115HP four stroke Merc. Probably would have stuck with it, but I found a great deal on a stainless prop that I liked even better.

I don't think he can go wrong with either the 3 or 4 blade Amita's or the Hustler props.

Hi again SS.

Just remembered, I know a guy who may still have a 15P Solas Rubex for your motor. I bought a 17P 3 blade Rubex from him he also had a 13.25 x 15P which he was wanting to sell as well. He was using the four blade Rubex on his 115 HP and he really liked it. The Rubex is exactly the same as the Solas Amita, except it uses the Mercury FloTorq II replaceable hub kit. The option for self replacement is handy, if your hub is slipping you only need to replace it yourself with a $15 hub sleeve. You don't need to go to a prop shop to have a new hub pressed in. Of course you will have to buy the Merc hub kit for your type motor (if you don't have one).

If he still has it, I could probably get it for $50 for you. That's what I paid for the 17P if I remember correctly. It is basically brand new as he only used it for testing, but it was too low a pitch for him. Good prop for the money, even if you only want it for backup. I will probably be up your way in June or July. You could pick it up from me at Telegraph or Alder Bay (not sure where I'll be staying yet).

Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot him an email to see if he still has it.

Hi Hali.

I booked holidays a little earlier this year. Second & Third week of July. If the wife comes along we'll prolly stay at Telegraph. If no womenfolk Alder is my preference. I may alo head up to Alder around the first week in June.

Maybe we'll see you there. I'll let you know when my plans are confirmed.

Back