Products To Use On Your Boat

Stizzla

Crew Member
I think I would be cool for us to help each other out by letting others know what works well on cleaning and maintaining our boats.

I used McGuire’s PlastX today on the plastic windows and they came up WAY better. These were rough before, like 2/10 and they are now 6/10. I might try again with an RO polisher and see if it does even better.
6297461E-8477-4AD5-B562-91470E824353.jpegF6EF878E-66C3-460A-84C8-CD8C29028454.jpeg

You can polish those clear windows for sure. Mine were replaced about 5 years ago and I never really thought about it again until I was bored and I used whatever polish was kicking around and wow what a difference. Certainly go with a least abrasive product but it is well worth it.

Windows have been covered.
When I was working over my Wellcraft and bringing it back to life it had crazy amounts of rust stain and footwear marks and mold.

For the rust stain I used CLR some diluted some pure. I should have taken a pic of the one fish locker the rust was thick in it, the previous owner used it as his anchor locker and he did not have galvanized chain, what a mess. I poured most of one container in there and some warm water let it sit a while and then scrubbed and scrubbed. That locker came near perfect, it took a lot of work but I got it.

For rub marks and scuffs I use a rag and acetone, not a lot of acetone but a good shot on a rag and enough to get the area wet. That stuff is great for stains. I keep a jug on hand in my shop at all times, just keep it away from most plastics it will melt it.

For the mold I used a good degreaser spayed on with a chemical applicator let sit for a bit then pressure washed off. Worked great, gets in to all the nook and cranny you can’t get with a rag or your hands.

Few things I used on my glass boat.

My bud @Gham did a test of a few different vinyl cleaners on his big cruiser when he got it. I remember him saying one stood out. G, do you you remember which one?

For fibre glass cleaner I use bar keepers friend 3.99 at Canadian tire get the powder one and use it. Then a coat of wax. I got all my boating buddies on it (which isn’t a lot)

For seats this stuff is great bring it back to new. Hit it with 303 aerospace after and your interior will be new again.

20210207_100142.jpg

My cockpit enclosure still looks great but the Sunbrella fabric was getting a bit leaky. 303® Fabric Guard is the only product recommended by and for Sunbrella®, as well as by other fabric manufacturers to restore lost water and stain repellency. It offers unbeatable protection against soiling, water-based AND oil-based stains, and is safe.303-Fabric-Guard-16-oz~2.jpg

Last edited:
For vinyl windows i use 210 window cleaner/polish works great also repels water and has anti fog properties.

I am a big believer in saltaway...i put that sh*t on everything, flush the motors with it as well. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

and the aerospace 303 protectant is worth every penny as well, works great on seats and upholstery not greasy at all.

Most rust removal products use acids.
The farther down the list you go, the more PPE you need and the less time you want it touching your boat and especially your trailer.
1 citric - Simple green
2 CLR has several acids including sulfamic, lactic, glycolic
3 oxalic - barkkeper's friend and fsr big job
4 muriatic /HCL- toilet bowl cleaners like Vanisol

I cleaned the **** out of my old Bayliner non skid for years with harsh cleaners and it just got worse and worse and worse for staining. You really do have to try and maintain some kind of protection on it. I couldn't tell you how to do that.

Back