Prince Rupert vs winter harbour

davefortier84

Been fishing Prince Rupert for a few years every summer. Wondering if I can get some opinions/comparisons on which is a better spot between Prince Rupert and Winter Harbour for those who have fished both?

Winter Harbour you can retain Chinook, Rupert not no much.

What are you looking for when your say better? More fish, specific species, shorter runs to fishing grounds, ocean conditions, services and accommodations, remote with no people?

Depends if you prefer rain or wind.
What are you looking for when your say better? More fish, specific species, shorter runs to fishing grounds, ocean conditions, services and accommodations, remote with no people?
I’d say more fish (salmon, halibut, lingcod), shorter runs, ocean conditions and places to fish when wind is rough in a given direction. Been booking charter boats when I go up to PR for years. Sometimes it’s awesome, other times not so great due to winds and we have to fish in worse spots, yielding unproductive days.

Winter Harbour is fantastic for ling cod. Haven't done a lot of salmon fishing there. There are pretty good spots for salmon in most reasonable conditions. A lot of the fishing is pretty close, 10-12 miles you can get just about everything. It's notorious for being windy, most bottom fishing is on the outside so easy to get chased back inside by wind. I've found halibut fishing a bit harder there than some other places but I haven't put in that much effort. Tuna can come in quite close. Never had any success finding prawns or crab despite a fair bit of effort, caught lots of hag fish.

I always run my own boat and rent a room from the Outpost. I've heard good things about Oli's charters.

Winter Harbour is fantastic for ling cod. Haven't done a lot of salmon fishing there. There are pretty good spots for salmon in most reasonable conditions. A lot of the fishing is pretty close, 10-12 miles you can get just about everything. It's notorious for being windy, most bottom fishing is on the outside so easy to get chased back inside by wind. I've found halibut fishing a bit harder there than some other places but I haven't put in that much effort. Tuna can come in quite close. Never had any success finding prawns or crab despite a fair bit of effort, caught lots of hag fish.

I always run my own boat and rent a room from the Outpost. I've heard good things about Oli's charters.
Thanks! Really appreciate the rundown! I think I’ll book Oli’s next year.

Been fishing Prince Rupert for a few years every summer. Wondering if I can get some opinions/comparisons on which is a better spot between Prince Rupert and Winter Harbour for those who have fished both?
Everything is bigger in Rupert,more productive.Plus halibut are easily caught.There is a place to fish on every point on the compass.Also one word Dungeoness.Your timing on Chinook however May be off for retention.Winter Harbour is next to the windiest spot on the Island Cape Cook ,aka Cape Misery,I have had winds hurricane force In August…no fun.

Back