price of fishing

have a trip planned tp nootka sound in mid july but with the gas prices these days its looking a little pricey for long boat hauls to the fishing grounds!!! Anybody got any ideas as to where to go in mid july where the fishing is a little closer to run to?? Maybe port Hardy or somewhere on the east side? Appreciate any ideas.I think it would be cheaper to haul the boat on a trailer than run it long distances in the water.Saltspringer

Mr D. hadn't really thought of an exact budget but to run out from Gold River to nootka , stay three nights and fish three days and back to GR would probably run about $500 or so. I wasthinking that staying in Port Hardy or Port McNeil or some place like that and not having to run so far and the gas wopuld probably be cheaper than Critter Cove. Campbell river is just so damned crowded these days and I don't know of any place down Island that has any good fishing that time of year. Any thoughts?

How about Sooke? Highway access, all the amenities, tow right to the place you wanna fish, and it can provide fishing equivalent to Bamfield and Critter Cover no problemo.

How about that suggestion? Don't feel like fishin'? Head to Victoria for a half day and then fish the other half!

If your heart is set on Nootka Sound why don't you trailer to Cougar Creek and camp there then you are only 12 miles or so from open sea and there are many spots to fish within 3 to 6 miles, Critter cove is only a few miles away for gas etc.

AL

Theres no fish at sooke at that time of the year:D:DBut another spot you may consider is telegraph cove as captain duds can attest to there is some nice fishing up there as well lots of fog may be a factor but it usually is burnt off by mid morning and is easy fishing

Good luck Wolf

No fish in Sooke at that time of year? Really? Same could be said for Bamfield where they have to run 5 to 20 miles offshore to catch a spring...as for Critter Cove, it's not like you hear too much about fantastic fishing coming out of that place--every spot has it's day...Critter Cove is relatively hard to access.

Middle of July...hmmmm..at any place on the west coast you shouldn't have a problem to hook more than a few fish. At the extra expense of Critter Cove, how many more fish do you expect to catch and release? Heck, in the middle of July you could even do a trip in the Charlottes, happen on a slow trip and play 15 springs the whole trip..it happens! What's great about Sooke is the fact that the amenties are there so your trip won't be a write off if something happens! Or you could time it right and get out there and hook 20 springs a morning...or ? Hard to say...I know guides in Sooke that will GUARANTEE you a limit of springs a day...if you're a meat hunter or looking for the most fish.

:) :)

Just my opinion... there's a lot of bashers of Sooke out there...wonder why that is? There's a lot of bashers about Vancouver fishing too...however some of the people doing the bashing aren't exactly the ones doing the catching! :) :)

Not to knock Critter Cove or anything..but the safety and piece of mind should be part of a successful trip, and you're going to PAY at Critter Cove for what you get. If GAS cost is an issue, perhaps other places on the coast with lower costs for lodging would be a better idea and that way you can spend more money on a longer trip?
I'd rather have 4 days on the water enjoying consistent fishing as opposed to 2 days having outrageous fishing for the same money. :) :) It's not only about the FISH per se, but rather there's plenty of other things to take into account.

I was kidding there F.M. anybody who knows me knows I love sooke and fish it alot thats all but I was just thowing out an option because I have the pleasure of fishing in both places all summer long thats all.

Good luck Wolf

Hey! Sounds like fun.

One of the areas you may want to go to fish would be Port Hardy..that area is awesome..however..it can be costly...

I am trying a week on Malcolm Island mid July. 500 a week for a cabin near Sointula. This is my first time there, so I will probably stay in close, and not burn much gas in my 16 footer, unless the kids insist on getting towed around on something.

Hey guys, thanks for all the info, really apptreciated!! I've fished Pt.Hardy afew years back and did pretty well but heard the fish kind of quit up there, maybe they are coming back. Fish alot in Nootka and know the area pretty well but have never fished Sooke. Is the fishing in close that time of year or do you have to go pretty far out? Reading some of the past posts it sounds a little like its a hastle to launch and park at sooke and marina problems etc. Maybe it's better to go with what you know and bight the bullet on gas.There's a floating lodge we always stay at in Nootka and is real handy to the fishing just have to hit the tides right at Gold River to launch and take out . Bigthanks for all the help and I'm still open to suggestions,Saltspringer

If type of salmon is not an issue..Port Alberni for sockeye..it lots of fun and action..Lots of doubles and triples on, and better eating than spring. A 5-10 min run from the launch gets you into fish.

How'bout trailering to Winter Harbour and fishing in Quatsino Sound?
Haven't been there since '99 but the July fishing was awesome then and proximity to the fishin' grounds, lodging, gas and other amenities aint bad. Anybody been there lately?

Yeah....Port Alberni sockeye fishing- lots of fun. Some sockeyes are big can weigh more than 10 pounds. Most sockeyes are average 7-8 pound (my opinion).

quote:Originally posted by saltspringer

...I've fished Pt.Hardy afew years back and did pretty well but heard the fish kind of quit up there....

Not in my opinion.
As the locals would say. "If you can't catch a fish in PH, then you're likely not going to catch one anywhere else. Best to take up another hobby".

If you've been there before and had an enjoyable time and were able to find the fish, I don't see why it would be any different.

Mid July is perfect timing...

Back