Port Hardy, Port McNeil or Nootka Sound 1st week of July

Doubletyee

I am planning to go fishing north Island first week of July. Have never fished north of Nootka sound. Where would be the best area to fish for springs
The first week of July. Have salmon fished for 40 years but never north of Nootka. Any help greatly appreciated.

What kind of boat do you have? Port McNeil will still be closed for retention.

I’m going up to hardy for the Canada Day long weekend. You need to run pretty far to keep fish and it can get a little sporty up there but the first week of July should be prime time!

Only have a 22 ft boat so not wanting to run too far especially off shore. Keeping a fish is nice but fish a lot so not necessary.

McNeil is nice especially telegraph cove with lots of protected waters. Spent a few Canada Day long weekends there years back but never really caught a lot of salmon. Great exploring all the islands and passes with the family!

Hardy is about a 25 Knot run to retain salmon but there is lots of areas that you can fish that are closer.

Ya there are always fish to catch around McNeill but the restrictions on retention will be in effect.

Your best bet for retention would be running an hour north of Hardy or heading west to winter harbour.

A 22ft boat is more than adequate for these waters as long as you understand the weather and tides and do not push it in unfavourable conditions.

I have been to the nahwitti bar north of hardy more than once in a 21ft boat and felt very comfortable.
My current boat is only 18.5ft and I’m not worried about fishing off shore on days when the tide changes are <12ft and the wind is <15knots.

Nahwitti bar/cape sutil as well as the west coast off winter harbour are well within your reach as long as you don’t pick a really massive tide swing combined with a snotty wind day.

If you do head up to Sutil just before you get to Nahwitti Bar go around behind Tatnall Reefs to get to Cape Sutil and the sea conditions are usually way better than the center of the Bar. Worst Bar conditions will be a big Ebb and a strong Westerly. If those are the conditions fish elsewhere.

If you do head up to Sutil just before you get to Nahwitti Bar go around behind Tatnall Reefs to get to Cape Sutil and the sea conditions are usually way better than the center of the Bar. Worst Bar conditions will be a big Ebb and a strong Westerly. If those are the conditions fish elsewhere.
I’ve always hugged the shoreline near Tatnall Reefs unless it’s slack and they look calm, is that what you mean by going around behind them?

Yes that is exactly what I mean. The main idea is the stay out of the main tidal flow and that’s exactly what you are doing by following the shoreline.

I am planning to go fishing north Island first week of July. Have never fished north of Nootka sound. Where would be the best area to fish for springs
The first week of July. Have salmon fished for 40 years but never north of Nootka. Any help greatly appreciated.
Go to Esperanza via Gold River.Full retention

Just back from Port Hardy. Like DoubleTyee, I had never fished north of Nootka. For this trip we went with a guide….Trygg at Steel Rock Charters. Glad we did ….as there is a lot of water to cover. Trygg was great. We got our limit in springs ( most were 15-18 pounds ) and Hali ( biggest was 35 pounds ). Great trip !

Hey Capt Ed, how are things around TC. Haven’t seen too many reports as of late. Fellow I work with will be arriving Friday for a week… I will be up mid August. Seems kinda quiet….
I'm in McNeill. Will be fishing the TC/Alder Bay area this coming weekend and will post a report after.

The scuttlebutt at the local fishing store seemed to suggest that there are lots of pinks and coho around in the strait, and the usual spots off the back side are still holding chinook. Some tourists seemed keen to buy all the army truck hoochies they could find after a day of fishing off TC / Blinkhorn.

Will likely fish my usual circuit - back side in the early morning, then pick up the family at Alder Bay and head to Bold. Fish toward Flower if the tide is with me and listen to channel 7 for whales. Run to CP or north to Knight and beyond depending on what channel 7 has to say about whale locations. Then do a little jigging if heading north, or a short hali if headed to CP and the tides set up right. Then run toward the VI shore and troll back toward TC and see what's about, or if the wind is up, head in for a burger and a beer at Alder Bay.

Rarely disappoints. Should be lots of fish around. Saw some pinks or coho jumping off the end of Mine Road on the weekend, so given that that's not really a "spot", it suggests there are plenty of fish around.

There's been some beauty slot size chinook caught from shore at Lady Ellen recently, so might have to do a nite bite today or tomorrow depending on how yard chores and boat maintenance go today/tomorrow.

There is lots of everything everywhere here.we even had a 13.9# coho the other day

Back