prawning

• Thread starter Thread starter Peege
  • Start date Start date
Maybe try the other side of the inlet near Brentwood or Patricia Bay. Keep your eye open for clusters of traps and set near those.

Morty, we set traps at 60 ft in mar/apr east of Telegragh Cove and were getting average 50 to trap and they were big, albeit we use 1 in. mesh min. In Tahsis this year everthing was deep 300 plus. That's what is so frustrating about prawning and why I am trying to find a common denominator. Maybe they are ... just smatter than me.

i use commercial ladner prawn traps the big 5' round 1.5' tall.

im thinking of going prawning in saanich inlet, has anyone had any problems with there prawn traps "disappearing"

Generally Spots run about 240 feet deep in Washington. They come up at night clear to the shore and can go really deep during the day, The general rule of thumb here is 240 feet deep. I have gotten them as high as 160' and as deep as 390'. If you have a very high powered fishfinder and a fine pixelled screen, you can see them down there. They look like fine cold of puffy locusts or clouds on the bottom. They are really fine specs or dots. I have one of the newer Lowrances with the 8000 watts. You can see them on it. Big water currents are actually way more pronounced then they are. So try ot get good at ready your sonar.

They are generally found on steep rocky banks and can also be found where the slope meets the flat bottom. Down here we have to "power shrimp or prawn" as we get a few days a year and a 4-7 hours on those days. We have to compete with hundreds or thousands of pots in the main areas. There are several areas still in the San Juan Islands that open longer and have really strong currents. I make sure my pots weigh 40 pounds each and have big buoys on them, with a tag line and additional big float. In the San Juans the current will sweep non or low weighted pots away. You have to weight them heavy and the tag line will still float if the main buoy goes under.

Here is our secret to out fish the other hundreds of pots. Use concentrated fish fertilizer on your bait. This stuff is really potent and works great. But don't spill it on you or the boat or you will be sorry. The smell lasts forever. You can also put it in a canister with one 1/4" hole in the top and let the current swirl the scent out slowly. With all of the competition down here you have to be good.Good Luck

Thanks Fishinnut. That's the stuff wer're looking for.
There are no in-depth books on prawning (that I know of) so maybe when this thread is finished we will all be the wiser. With the work and expense involved catching them tasty little critters knowledge is our best weapon. Peege

I see the fisheries has now closed all the good prawning area's intil mar.31...I guess that mean's well have to put the rod's back on and chase after some winter spring's...i'm wonderiing if anybody has tried using plug's or apex's this time of year around the sooke area? could be another fun alternative other than flasher's and spoon's....

I see the fisheries has now closed all the good prawning area's intil mar.31...I guess that mean's well have to put the rod's back on and chase after some winter spring's...i'm wonderiing if anybody has tried using plug's or apex's this time of year around the sooke area? could be another fun alternative other than flasher's and spoon's....

Make sure that you GUARD those traps. Left mine overnight at Francisco point...gone in the morning.

PRAWNING IS CLOSE IN SAANICH INLET AS OF DEC 1ST 2006 TILL MARCH 2007

Back