Prawn Puller

I just bought mine to build a prawn puller similar to yours. Costco discontinue the 2000lb winch (not much call for them, apparently) but Crappy Tire sells a similar winch. Its a off shore knock off 2000 lb with remote for $70, so I will be calling you soon. Thanks all

Hey Blue,

Someone has played with your picture any chance you could replace it?

I just blew out the 2nd motor in my Ace Line Hauler (after the three Ezzy Pullers before it). I want to play with adapting the frame and wheel from my Ace line hauler to a beefier motor such as a winch.

My concern is the speed and if I'm going to need to play with a gear to step up the speed... The wheel on the Ace is only just over 11 inches and it sounds like you went with a 14 inch wheel. Did you direct drive the wheel from the winch?

Anyone else played with adapting an old hauler with a winch and if so did you need to gear up the winch speed?

Has not been a good week for things breaking [}:)]

Bear with me while I load some pictures onto a site for you to view.
I just got my internet back after being down for the last while....

Thanks!

I'll buy a winch before asking any more dumb questions. I've never looked that closely at a winch so I'm not sure if you can just dissassemble them to remove the wire spool to get at the motor drive shaft or if you have to start cutting things. Biggest concern is that it will be geared so low that with an 11 inch wheel it takes me forever to bring in 500' but will buy a winch and do some math on the shaft rpm and figure out if I need to gear it back up a bit which will make things a wee bit more complex....

Thanks again for the picture.

S.I.R.
Went to Canadian Tire for a T1500. You remove the drum bracket from the winch and make a pillow block for the drum. Made a new right angle bracket to hold the motor and pillow block on the back of the puller. Used a hole saw and cut hole in main frame bracket for end of drum to bolt through to the rope wheel. Runs about 11 amps and pulls about 100 to 125 feet a minute.

Now those instructions I can handle - THANKS - off the crappy tire

Hey Kisinana,

I bought a T1500 this afternoon and stripped it down. I was a little surprised to see that there was no spindle coming out of the motor and that the drum unit that held the cable actually had the gear on it that fit into the female opening on the motor.

I see how I can drill a wide opeing thru the plate of my existing puller and mount the wheel directly to the end of the drum but I figure I'm going to have to build some type of fingers onto the pillow block to hold the original drum into the motor otherwise the drum and rope wheel will just fall away from the motor.

Is this what you did???

I have a sheet of thick teflon I can use to back the the fingers to keep the friction down. The orignal winch had a rubber bushing on the outer drum housing that held the whole assembly into the motor. I guess I was expecting a drive shaft coming out of the motor....

I made a right angle bracket the same width as the winch base and about 4 inches long and 2 inches on the back of the puller. I positioned the winch and drum so they were holding the drum the proper distance through the puller to keep the main puller wheel the right distance out from the frame. There are two mounting holes on the bottom of the winch and I drilled these at the back end of the bracket. I used a 4x4x2 piece of plastic block. Stand it on a 2x4 inch surface. Then drill a hole the diameter of the inner surface of the drum (I have forgotten the size,somewhere near an 1 3/4)centred 1 7/8 inches from the bottom edge and 2 inches from each side of the block. Drill 2 1/2 inch mounting holes through from top to bottom one on each side.
Then run through the table saw and cut in half so that it goes below the drum and over top and the bolts hold the 2 halves together and drill the base plate of the right angle. You may have to bolt halves back together and run drum size drill through again (depending on your saw blade thickness)
Drill 4 1/4 inch holes in end of drum and same in main puller wheel.
Bolt everything tight and you are back in business.

Got it. Your using that solid plastic block to do what I was thinking of having some fingers standing up from the mounting plate do. I think the solid plastic block sounds like a better idea. I guess over time the block will wear on the drum face and need to be replaced but it's low rpm so I would guess that will take some time.

Off to the shop - gotta get the traps out before the commercial guys take over the ocean in a few weeks :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Back