poor line

RED MONSTER
"everything is 30. Personally, this has worked great, but I may move to 40# on leaders for the really big fish with really big sharp teeth. Have you ever retrieved your line to find a leader with nothing on the end?"

I agree fully. More than once, i retrieved a leader that has been cut just above the hook. Often, i also only had one hook left on the line, the trailer hook was cut off. I have to say, that I am not all that good about checking the leaders often and retyimg new ones. Especially if i have a hot hoochy on and the fish are biting... But these problems went away when i switch to 40# leaders.

RED MONSTER
"everything is 30. Personally, this has worked great, but I may move to 40# on leaders for the really big fish with really big sharp teeth. Have you ever retrieved your line to find a leader with nothing on the end?"

I agree fully. More than once, i retrieved a leader that has been cut just above the hook. Often, i also only had one hook left on the line, the trailer hook was cut off. I have to say, that I am not all that good about checking the leaders often and retyimg new ones. Especially if i have a hot hoochy on and the fish are biting... But these problems went away when i switch to 40# leaders.

Still dont see the problem with some guys using 40lb main. When 25lb gets knicks in it(which is near impossible not to) its going to be weak. Although most can get away with 20-25lb test why not just go a bit heavier to avoid that problem? . With that being said its pretty hard to break a fish off on 30lb if you let it run. Dont guides in the charlottes only use 25lb?

Still dont see the problem with some guys using 40lb main. When 25lb gets knicks in it(which is near impossible not to) its going to be weak. Although most can get away with 20-25lb test why not just go a bit heavier to avoid that problem? . With that being said its pretty hard to break a fish off on 30lb if you let it run. Dont guides in the charlottes only use 25lb?

Any line with a nick in it will break 20 30 40 80 lb test they all break under stress whatever test you use is what you want to use go ahead who cares insted of bitching about it go fishing for god sakes its only fishing line guys there are bigger things in the world than this seems petty to me!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Any line with a nick in it will break 20 30 40 80 lb test they all break under stress whatever test you use is what you want to use go ahead who cares insted of bitching about it go fishing for god sakes its only fishing line guys there are bigger things in the world than this seems petty to me!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Well were all waiting to really get out there and do our thing and passing time with threads as this until the real season starts ----- however Wolf as you know I fish offshore and will not jump into the forum unless I am able to contribute ( being a Tuna,Shark & Broadbill Hunter). Firstly there are only 5 mono line extruders in the world as per my information for example ( Ande Florida CO), (Maxima Calif Co) and (Tripplefish Florida Co ) are all extruded in the same factory in Germany with actual product differences in “marketing” not product - but price when all is said and done! Berkley Trilene and members of the corporate are manufactured in the USA with other extruders in South America, Australia and Japan.

I guess what I’m attempting to share is that the least expensive two items in fishing are line & hooks. Line if not managed properly will bite you in the butt and your fish is gone! A slight nick, reeling up from your downrigger or mooching for the big guys and you have some kelp wrapped around your line ---- that is going to be your weak link! The next time it happens run your line which had the kelp wrapped around over your lips (sounds insane) however you will feel slight cuts in the mono. There is a saying that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish and this is due to the devil in the details. Confidence has a significant impact in what you run with line selection but it’s the maintenance of the line where the results are.

Fore those of you who experience unexplainable cut-offs whether its be between the first and second hook or possible you only have 1 foot left of your leader ---- there are devils that follow the spawning runs in wolf packs ( ask any commercial troller) and they are known to follow into fresh water ---- just start googling.But stay on top of (LINE)maintenance That’s my 2 Cs!

Well were all waiting to really get out there and do our thing and passing time with threads as this until the real season starts ----- however Wolf as you know I fish offshore and will not jump into the forum unless I am able to contribute ( being a Tuna,Shark & Broadbill Hunter). Firstly there are only 5 mono line extruders in the world as per my information for example ( Ande Florida CO), (Maxima Calif Co) and (Tripplefish Florida Co ) are all extruded in the same factory in Germany with actual product differences in “marketing” not product - but price when all is said and done! Berkley Trilene and members of the corporate are manufactured in the USA with other extruders in South America, Australia and Japan.

I guess what I’m attempting to share is that the least expensive two items in fishing are line & hooks. Line if not managed properly will bite you in the butt and your fish is gone! A slight nick, reeling up from your downrigger or mooching for the big guys and you have some kelp wrapped around your line ---- that is going to be your weak link! The next time it happens run your line which had the kelp wrapped around over your lips (sounds insane) however you will feel slight cuts in the mono. There is a saying that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish and this is due to the devil in the details. Confidence has a significant impact in what you run with line selection but it’s the maintenance of the line where the results are.

Fore those of you who experience unexplainable cut-offs whether its be between the first and second hook or possible you only have 1 foot left of your leader ---- there are devils that follow the spawning runs in wolf packs ( ask any commercial troller) and they are known to follow into fresh water ---- just start googling.But stay on top of (LINE)maintenance That’s my 2 Cs!

Very well said it all comes down to what works for every body I personally run my fingers through the line as im reeling it to feel any nick than chop it off.

good luck Wolf

Very well said it all comes down to what works for every body I personally run my fingers through the line as im reeling it to feel any nick than chop it off.

good luck Wolf

Back