poor line

scott craven

First time ever, i spooled up a new reel with brand new
"berkeley big game" 25 lb. and had a main line break off...
this was simply pulling the line off the release clip.

lost fish,new flasher & new spoon.. #@%&*!@#

buddy was over tonite and examined the line to see
several "bur's" and rough spots on the line.(brand new)

It's going back to the store for them to look at !

scotty

Craven before you do make sure the guides on your rod are all ok especially the tip one little nick will screw up any line

Craven before you do make sure the guides on your rod are all ok especially the tip one little nick will screw up any line

Perfect example... Re-spool with 40lb.test... it will put up with a few nicks and scuff marks... As in my previous posts... "25lb. test gives me the shivers"

Perfect example... Re-spool with 40lb.test... it will put up with a few nicks and scuff marks... As in my previous posts... "25lb. test gives me the shivers"

IMO there's likely a logical reason for these "bur's" (eg. something along the lines of what Wolf stated), otherwise you got the one bad factory spool out of a thousand.

As for 40 lb. test mainline, complete overkill. If you remove the first 30 feet of line every so often, you should have no problems, I never have in over twenty years. Not to mention the extra drag from 40 lb diameter line, good luck getting your gear in the mud (on the Banks) 180 feet down.

IMO there's likely a logical reason for these "bur's" (eg. something along the lines of what Wolf stated), otherwise you got the one bad factory spool out of a thousand.

As for 40 lb. test mainline, complete overkill. If you remove the first 30 feet of line every so often, you should have no problems, I never have in over twenty years. Not to mention the extra drag from 40 lb diameter line, good luck getting your gear in the mud (on the Banks) 180 feet down.

I run 30 lb main line and only use the heavier lines as leaders to impart action to the lure being used.
Is it not true that the test strength you see on the package is only 1/3 of the true breaking strength ?
I believe that the real breaking strength for 30 lb test is holding a suspended 90lb weight for a period of some time and can't rmember what the weights and measures people said it was, or was it CSA ?
Anyway thats my two bits worth.

AL

I run 30 lb main line and only use the heavier lines as leaders to impart action to the lure being used.
Is it not true that the test strength you see on the package is only 1/3 of the true breaking strength ?
I believe that the real breaking strength for 30 lb test is holding a suspended 90lb weight for a period of some time and can't rmember what the weights and measures people said it was, or was it CSA ?
Anyway thats my two bits worth.

AL

I'm not here to argue... every one has their own opinion.. mine is to run 40lb. main line for many reasons as in my previous posts... Run what ever line you want.. Happy fishing!

Edited by - TheRock on 03/13/2006 23:21:44

Edited by - TheRock on 03/13/2006 23:23:42

I'm not here to argue... every one has their own opinion.. mine is to run 40lb. main line for many reasons as in my previous posts... Run what ever line you want.. Happy fishing!

Edited by - TheRock on 03/13/2006 23:21:44

Edited by - TheRock on 03/13/2006 23:23:42

craven;
Keep me informed as to what the problem was. I have 7160 yrds of the same....un-opened. After expierimenting w/ two reels loaded up last year, I was planning to convert all of em over for this season.

Thanks.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Back