Pod builders and cost

Well I’m stuck with what to do with my Bert. I was leaning heavily towards going ahead with podding it, picking up a couple good used outboards, no kicker to save money and troll on the mains. Problem I can’t get past, without sinking a ton more money in is how would I run this boat solo? I would be guiding off it as a second boat to my pursuit. The plan would be to take larger groups of people at once and go out in weather I wouldn’t take the pursuit in. Problem I can’t get past though is how I would run this by myself, run the dr, set rods, pull rods, steer etc. With one station being up on the fb and one inside, unless I put another station at the back(bunch more money) I can’t see how I could run this solo. Obviously an autopilot would help but again that’s just more $$ and I still have to control the throttle.

From most of the research ive done the full extension pod is the way to go. I would certainly be going that way if i do decide to pod it. Each boat is different for sure, from the limited number of guys that have podded a 28 bert, they all say to go with a full extension with as much flotation as possible to counter the added weight of the pod plus 2X 225-300 outboards. Ive seen a few with just an armstrong bracket on them and they sit way to low in the stern. Theres a guy on tht that did a 28 bert and glassed in a complete 3' hull extension, thing was incredible.
Mine’s a full hull extension and I’m Happy with it

Well I’m stuck with what to do with my Bert. I was leaning heavily towards going ahead with podding it, picking up a couple good used outboards, no kicker to save money and troll on the mains. Problem I can’t get past, without sinking a ton more money in is how would I run this boat solo? I would be guiding off it as a second boat to my pursuit. The plan would be to take larger groups of people at once and go out in weather I wouldn’t take the pursuit in. Problem I can’t get past though is how I would run this by myself, run the dr, set rods, pull rods, steer etc. With one station being up on the fb and one inside, unless I put another station at the back(bunch more money) I can’t see how I could run this solo. Obviously an autopilot would help but again that’s just more $$ and I still have to control the throttle.
Yeah you can’t depend on guests steering the boat. I’ve seen it and it’s ugly!

Yeah you can’t depend on guests steering the boat. I’ve seen it and it’s ugly!
Ya gave up on that years ago lol. Autopilot and remote throttle for the kicker was the answer there for the Pursuit. Bertram is such a bigger rig though with poor visibility from the back deck forward.

Ya gave up on that years ago lol. Autopilot and remote throttle for the kicker was the answer there for the Pursuit. Bertram is such a bigger rig though with poor visibility from the back deck forward.
Why pod the Bertram? (maybe I missed that in the thread). There's a 28 in the Ukee fleet with twin yanmars that's been pretty low maintenance. Think he just rebuilt one diesel after 7 seasons and it came with mid life engines. He can also go tuna fishing on less fuel than the rest of us and he's 15000 pounds.

He just runs a 25hp kicker and a rear steer.

A pod job/power/ all the other stuff that goes along with it will run you 100k. Might as well go buy something suitable in the used market that will pack big groups. Shity if you spend that money and then the ride is disappointing

Kinda nice in a wide Bert to be able to land fish right off the transom instead of working around the motors. I've watched the Bert do this for years and see the appeal. Nice for running a 3rd nut off the center of the transom instead of off a corner beside the twins.

I like outboards but it's tough to make a business case for the pod job.

you cable on the berty or hyd ........ convert over to hyd and put a helm on the rear or the standing side ...

Why pod the Bertram? (maybe I missed that in the thread). There's a 28 in the Ukee fleet with twin yanmars that's been pretty low maintenance. Think he just rebuilt one diesel after 7 seasons and it came with mid life engines. He can also go tuna fishing on less fuel than the rest of us and he's 15000 pounds.

He just runs a 25hp kicker and a rear steer.

A pod job/power/ all the other stuff that goes along with it will run you 100k. Might as well go buy something suitable in the used market that will pack big groups. Shity if you spend that money and then the ride is disappointing

Kinda nice in a wide Bert to be able to land fish right off the transom instead of working around the motors. I've watched the Bert do this for years and see the appeal. Nice for running a 3rd nut off the center of the transom instead of off a corner beside the twins.

I like outboards but it's tough to make a business case for the pod job.
Is that one out of ukee a flybridge? Asides from listing a pros and cons list, the biggest reason I was considering converting to outboards is, A I hate inboards and working on them, B the fuel economy is less than 1mpg with the twin 351’s, C they are the original engines that were rebuilt at one time and if the gauges are correct they have 1700 hours on them since being rebuilt. My biggest concern is having to throw money into old motors etc that may not be reliable. Boats been on the hard for almost 5 years now so I’d be concerned that other stuff will go wrong once I get the boat in the water and running. If I was to go the outboard route there’s no chance I could afford new motors so I would be looking for a decent used set that would be less than half the cost of going new. My friend who I bought this boat from actually went and bought a bert 28 that had the yanmar’s in it already. He spent a lot on that boat and on maintenance and said he should have just put outboards on the one he sold me instead if he could do it over again.

Is that one out of ukee a flybridge? Asides from listing a pros and cons list, the biggest reason I was considering converting to outboards is, A I hate inboards and working on them, B the fuel economy is less than 1mpg with the twin 351’s, C they are the original engines that were rebuilt at one time and if the gauges are correct they have 1700 hours on them since being rebuilt. My biggest concern is having to throw money into old motors etc that may not be reliable. Boats been on the hard for almost 5 years now so I’d be concerned that other stuff will go wrong once I get the boat in the water and running. If I was to go the outboard route there’s no chance I could afford new motors so I would be looking for a decent used set that would be less than half the cost of going new. My friend who I bought this boat from actually went and bought a bert 28 that had the yanmar’s in it already. He spent a lot on that boat and on maintenance and said he should have just put outboards on the one he sold me instead if he could do it over again.
Yes, it's the one that charters south Isl in the winter. I don't like inboard either but a big Bert isn't a boat I'd spend 100k podding. Sounds like that needs much more than a pod. Ain't like nice used power is easy to come by, and that will need big power.

Boats are getting cheaper. I'd be looking into the used market this summer.

What you meant to say was A, 2, and lastly, D.

Well I got DSS fab coming to check out the boat next week to get an idea on the size and cost of the pod. Trying to get another shop to do the glass work first but pretty limited on places to go for that.

Do it your self AFTER the pod is built very easy to do
The transom on these berts are pure glass, so it has to get beefed up first with some ply on the inside tied into the stringers etc before the pod goes on.

Back