Pinks in the Puntledge

Cuba Libre

Expect a opening for pinks in the Puntledge in a couple of days. The paperwork is waiting for a DFO signature.

Have a look at my thread I've started on the Public notices.

Pinks open tomorrow on the Puntledge and Courtenay River.

I put a bit in there about the 1st Nation fishery. We have some guys who fish for food and pass the fish around to the village elders. They couldn't get a spot down on the reserve lands last weekend. They want to fish by hook and line, but it is their right to drop a net across the river if they wanted....Let's give them some space.

There's a few status natives who think their status card let's them do what they want...it is not. If they are going to food fish, they need to have a permit from the Komox Band, otherwise, they must fish as per all recreational harvesters, limits and gear type. NO SALES

The Komox Band council agreed to have me put up a notice board down by the Tsolum and Puntledge confluence. I'll make up a notice to describe Food Fishing rights. My partner is posting the notices for the rec fishery as I type this.

If you see illegal activity, give our radio room a call. We will do the best we can to respond...as resources allow.

My day off so back to working on my deck.

Have a great weekend on the river.

Bryce Gillard

I've worked with Coast Guard but have never been with Coast Guard. I started as a seasonal Guardian in the Queen Charlotte Islands and Victoria. I worked my way through college, when Federal competitions came out I wrote my exams, and did my oral boards. After 2 years I was hired as a trainee Fishery Officer in Quesnel and after another 2 years took my 1st post as a full Fishery Officer in Bella Bella in 1994.

good stuff, Bryan Jubinville is my father and I have heard your name come up in conversations over the years so I thought I would ask if you worked for fisheries as you have been updating the opening and closing of fisheries on this forum.

Cheers,

Marc

Haven't fished myself but watched others catching nearly all green humps. Fun to catch but not so good to eat unfortunately. :(

Mark,

I've taken the kids down the last two days and have picked up some nice silver fish. Kept them cold, and have smoked them up...they are wonderful. I'm fishing 6:30 am with the fresh tide so the fish are pretty clean.

Marc,

BJ was great to work with and for. We miss him. Is he still cycling around Europe and beyond? He retired at a good time, when budgets used to let us do our job.

I like these forum's. It's a great way to get the info out to people.

Bryce

Bryce, it would be wonderful if the Puntledge would open for chinook retention before Oct 1st because by then they are usually black old boots and not worth keeping anyway!! Just a thought!! Obviously it would depend on the hatchery getting their quota.

Back