Petition-Save the IFS

Not expecting anything to change but the petition is signed and posted in a couple of other places where it may generate some interest.

If Steelhead are listed under SARA, wont this cause fishing closures in saltwater as well as fraser? I recall this being discussed a few years back but i could be wrong?

DFO threatened that a Sara listing would result in an 80 days rolling closure window from the northern tip of vancouver island to their spawning grounds.

I believe DFO did this deliberately so the economic and social cost would be to great and the minister would not list the stock.

Its amazing how well the IFS coho did under using the same methodology. They sure recovered. :(

I won't be signing sorry. I fail to see how SARA listing is going to help in this case. For example this would completely close the September rec. coho fishery in Area 19/20. So basically Sooke would have one month season for an impact on steelhead in marine that is non-existent.

In 35 plus years have yet to hook a steelhead in tidal water.

Last edited:
I won't be signing sorry. I fail to see how SARA listing is going to help in this case. For example this would completely close the September rec. coho fishery in Area 19/20. So basically Sooke would have one month season for an impact on steelhead in marine that is non-existent.

You are missing the point I made above. These areas would not simply be closed when steelhead might be present. They would simply have to be closed. Period. Sooke (and the entire balance of these areas) would have no fisheries. None.

Nog

Its amazing how well the IFS coho did under using the same methodology. They sure recovered. :(

In 35 plus years have yet to hook a steelhead in tidal water.
IFS coho were not listed under SARA.
I was a part of the Cultus Lake sockeye listing conundrum; imo the act is written to fail in most cases because the economic impacts are just too severe.

You are missing the point I made above. These areas would not simply be closed when steelhead might be present. They would simply have to be closed. Period. Sooke (and the entire balance of these areas) would have no fisheries. None.

Nog

Yes I understand that. Why I won't sign it.

It would kill the Sooke/Vic fishery in particular in fall. The DNA data doesn't support it either. Very rare to hook one of them in marine.

Last edited:
The thing about the IFC is yes sure no recovery has happened or massive bump in ocean survival like was occuring. However, There also has not been a decline in the last 25 years. You could say the population is relatively stable between 40k to 60k spawners.

You could say the measures implemented like a mark selective fishery were successful at reducing exploitation of this stock.
1638308976024.png

1638309448890.png

The thing about the IFC is yes sure no recovery has happened or massive bump in ocean survival like was occuring. However, There also has not been a decline in the last 25 years. You could say the population is relatively stable between 40k to 60k spawners.

You could say the measures implemented like a mark selective fishery were successful at reducing exploitation of this stock.
View attachment 72732

View attachment 72733

Wow so your saying closing all marine areas would save steelhead?

Anyway I am out here is your ball back.

Last edited:
Back