outboard vs. inboard/outboard

Rum Buddies

Why is there is such a stigma placed on I/O engines with a big preference for outboard motors? Are they more prone to problems then outboards?

To me I can work on a basic engine no problem, but an outboard I'm clueless, but still I seem to have a preference for outboards - I just don't know why.

Can anybody tell me the pros and cons and maybe change my mind on inboards?

I have a mercruiser I/O. I love it. Its quiet, smooth, efficient and repairs are just like a car engine. There have been problems with various models over the years, most caused by seals leaking and saltwater corrosion.
It is actually cheaper to replace an engine, as the drive and power can be replaced separately.
I am not advocating I/O over outboard...I haven't owned an outboard since the 9.9 evinrude on my tin boat as a kid.

All that said...there are definitly less things to go wrong with an outboard. Proper diligence is required over the years with an I/0 to prevent the potentially serious problems.

Here is my VERY BIASED opinion:

With marine power, much like a car, it is rareley the ENGINE that gives you trouble, it is all the crap bolted on to it. With your outboard, the innards are DRY and ABOVE THE WATERLINE. With your sterndrive, you have the following in the watter all the time:

Cast Aluminium (Does not repel corrosion like extruded plate)
Cast Iron Manifolds (Does an impression of an eroding urinal cake)

Outboards typically go a long time, and then explode gracefully. With inboards, they will nickle and dime you to death, with a constant influx of starters, solanoids, plug wires, carbourator kits, etc. And don't forget that big (usually black) repair bill hanging in salt water all the time, you had better be sure you REALLY have the bellows, gaskets and drain plug o-rings on, because it is underwater, usually 2 or 3 feet down where there is a lot more then just atmospheric pressure pushing on the weak links.

Quotes from some my sterndrive days:

Gee, my Mercruiser manifold with an 1/8th inch gasget surface between the riser and manifold started leaking right at the back where I can't see it, all over my starter and shift-interrupt (Means that the engine will not start untill you wiggle it to the neutral position)! (And don't forget the exhaust valves, but don't worry, you'll know about them soon enough).

Oops, my oil pan rotted through because it was 3 inches above the bilge.

DANG, barnacle grew near my bellows, tilted the leg up, and RIPPPPPP.

Let us not forget that you are not supposed to bolt "car" starters, altenators and carbs on, you need special "marine" ones with flame arrestors, spark guards, and other "fee for option" add-ons.

With an outboaard, 50% of the electrical system is up under the flywheel, nice and dry, and it is also solid-state. No more alternator wires rotting off, or bearing packs seizing, breaking belts, and leaving you to putt home on, you guessed it, you're trusty OUTBOARD kicker (Try pullin your anchor with your kicker, it's FUN).. You have a much higer hill to climb with your fuel, lessening the chance that water will make it's way up it (You should have a good clear-bottom strainer anyway).

Don't forget, when you poke a hole in your hull, your outhoard will be high and dry, as I found when my Campion Fishing machine busted open at Swiftsure. If I had a sterndrive, it would have been under 18" of water, and may not have ran enough to plane the boat to keep me above water, and you may not have my long-winded rants to put up with today.

So yes, an inboard with an automotive engine may be more familiar to us handypersons, but with a good manual, an outboard is a breeze to service, does not spend it's life in salt water, and provided it is not a decroded old piece of sh**t that hasn't gracefully blown up on you, is easier to keep ahead of things on.

well lastchance you are doing a horrible time convincing me that I/O engines are not all bad ;)

Thanks for the info though, I'm making a purchase soon and I have a lot of options, but it sounds like I can cut out some of the I/O boats.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

well lastchance you are doing a horrible time convincing me that I/O engines are not all bad ;)

Thanks for the info though, I'm making a purchase soon and I have a lot of options, but it sounds like I can cut out some of the I/O boats.

I'm biased! But a fishin' buddy of mine who has a newer one has had good luck with it. He is one of those guys who over-maintains everything, and probably keeps a log book in his truck, let alone his boat.

LastChance...I agree with all your points, I have been fortunate to have avoided all the problems you mention...so far.
The worst problem I've had is a cracked manifold...$300 and 4 bolts to remove and reinstall (of course that jerk Murphy was involved, so it happened the evening before a planned trip to China Creek). It also depends on the individual...my boat is on a trailer in my heated garage, not moored in the salt. I would be a little more worried with a moored boat powered by an I/O.
Outboards definitely are less worrysome...and if that a**hole Big Bill ever visits me, I will likely be an outboard convert.
If my boat was strictly for fishing...I think I'd go for twin outboards. We also like to do watersports, and the full width swimgrid with no obstructions is nice.
When I win the lotto, I'll have an I/O bowrider for the lake, and a fishing boat with outboards for the saltchuck ;).

well you guys are making a strong case for the outboard and expecially with the type of use I want out of my new boat I need reliable power.

Anybody want to change my mind?

My uncle owned a Campion with an inboard outboard.Good thing they were easy too work on cause thats all we ever did.This was corroded that was corroded,this bolt was seized,bolt heads broke off,wiring never seemed to stay attatched,it was always some little thing right when you needed it to work.To this day i am still amazed at the profanity that he could muster over that boat.I swore i would never have one.Years later i realized that it just needed to be over maintained and kept spotless.I have a 13 year old yamaha 130 outboard regular maintaince ,never has let me down ever.Check out those new suzukis saw a couple of them in Bamfield last fall could not believe how quiet they were.Both outboards and inboards have their good points and bad points read the posts and you can make an informed choice DAN

If your going to an outboard stick with a Yammy or a mercury as they have reps on the island our lodge went with suzukis and out of 10 motors 6 were absolute s*%t I personally would never buy one but thats me I went for an optimax and I am converting over to it this subject came up a few months ago do a search and you will find more than enough info on it then ask your questions.

Good luck Wolf

I believe people who do not take care of their equipment and have no mechanical skills should stick to outboards.

Poppa - I agree with some posters that an I/O makes more sense for lake sport/fishing applications, outboards for saltchuck 'cause they can be lifted fully out of the water preventing corrosion.
Personally I keep mine in the driveway, using it equally on the chuck (always flush after use) and fresh. My little I/O volvo penta 4 cyl, hasn't failed me in years, just keeps starting and purring along.
Regular preventative maintenace makes a huge difference, just refer to your manufacturer manuals.
Good luck, it's a tough decision. I have owned both, but would probably purchase an I/O again.
PinchMe

Wolf, I love Suzuki's, not that there's anything wrong with Yammy's or Merc's, but my four stroke hasn't even burped once in the time I've had it since '03.
You lodge guys must run them aground or something.:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

Wolf, I love Suzuki's, not that there's anything wrong with Yammy's or Merc's, but my four stroke hasn't even burped once in the time I've had it since '03.
You lodge guys must run them aground or something.:D:D:D

There were a few guys I know with the Suzi V6 fourstrokes that had new powerheads installed because of heavy oil usage (This was after Suzuki tried giving them free oil). And another guy with twins has had the water tubes that run from impeller to heads rot off a couple of times. Other then the bad run of powerheads, the guys that run them seem happy enough.

No running aground but we use them a lot and now he has switch to all yammys we have always used them for kickers now for mains the biggest problem was getting the suzukis service by certified and qualified mecanics we use parker marine now I think up there and seem to have no problems.

Wolf

does anybody know anything about "Force" outboards? I believe they are made by Mercury and possibly only sold in the USA but I'm seeing a lot them lately?

Force has a bad reputation from what I've heard.

Force was last sold by Mercury, used to be US Marine, used to be Chrysler, used to be someone else. They have a tendency to heat up and burn out the second lowest cylinder. on the I3's and up. Very spartan, they were made untill 1999, and they were not "made" by Mercury, they were made with the same US Marine tooling and had Mercury ignitions on 'em (Looks neet how they wired a V6 ignition onto the I5 Force). They were marketed by Brunswick as an inexpensive outboard, which is why you see so many of 'em on the late 90's "Boat Show Special" Trophy's and Bayliner Capri's. I still see lots of 'em run over from Neah Bay when I'm on Swiftsure.

Good news is you can usualy get 'em for a grand running with a few spare engines on a pallet. They do have balls, and as long as you periodicly inspect under the exhaust plate for carbon buildup, they are all right as a simple outboard. They don't like to idle for a long time (Like trolling), they like to go balls to the wall, and when they blow, cause they are a big engine, there is lots of scrap aluminium to sell. They are childishly simple to work on, and LOUD, but smooth idling. However, as better outboards age, there are probably better choices for entry-level low cost stuff.

As a famous actor said in a movie we all know!!!!!

" MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU"

Wolf

force out boards are a poor mans mercury - I personally would not touch them

I think with marine engines regardless of weather or not you choose outboards or stern drives you have to maintain them correctly
if you don't trouble will follow you around

I would choose the boat to suit my needs first

Back