outboard question

hooked for life

Hi

I have just purchased a newer 21ft Trophy and am now looking for a newer fourstroke kicker for it and the question I have is; can an after market outboard be plumbed directly into the main tank? I cannot find any info on the net on this.

Cheers and thanks to all who reply.

What I did for my boat was I first put a ball valve on the end of the fuel line before it went into the fuel filter. You need this to make sure the fuel is shut off so you can change your fuel filter. Next I put a Tee fitting AFTER the fuel filter on the fuel line in the engine compartment (or some convenient place for you)with 2 more ball valves connected to the tee fitting.Putting the tee fitting after the fuel filter just means that the fuel to the kicker is coming from the filtered side as well. One valve shuts off the fuel to the main engine (302 Ford I/O) the other was a shut off to the kicker motor.
The reason for the valve to the main motor is it becomes an anti-siphon valve. Without it the kicker motor could suck the fuel out of the carburator.So when you go to start the main motor after running the kicker it won't start until it gets primed again. It just becomes a matter of opening 1 valve and closing the other
I picked up all the fittings at Fairview Fittings. They are located at 3765 East 1st Ave. in Burnaby, if that works for you.

My boat came with a three way valve. Got to manually switch from kicker to main and sometimes if you forget to switch from kicker to main you're in for a surprise going 4200 RPM to motor shuts off [B)]
I like the daddystoy setup with the ball valves. Then you don't have to switch no valves.

cheers
vic

Hi Hooked I've got the two hoses after the fiter,works great. This spring I am going to put a hose coupler in front of the filter for my spare out board tank. Stops all the water and junk in the tank going to the moters. Put a valve on all the outlets. Yosh

Back