outboard engine stand- build it or buy it?

Hoochiebob

Here's the skinny on my dilemma:
Have a rebuilt powerhead that is ready to reinstall. Need to find or construct a stand for reassembly. Will also require the stand to put my existing motor on once I have swapped engines,until it sells.As it may take some time to sell the other motor I am hesitant about renting one.
I have not had any luck finding a stand to purchase, so I am considering building one. Has anyone built their own? It will need to be fairly skookum as it is a f150 yammy (476 lbs). Or does anyone know where to find one?

I just put a couple outboards on automotive engine stands. We did have one shop build one that was tall enough for a long shaft. Not sure if a commercial one would fit a LS.

Here's the skinny on my dilemma:
Have a rebuilt powerhead that is ready to reinstall. Need to find or construct a stand for reassembly. Will also require the stand to put my existing motor on once I have swapped engines,until it sells.As it may take some time to sell the other motor I am hesitant about renting one.
I have not had any luck finding a stand to purchase, so I am considering building one. Has anyone built their own? It will need to be fairly skookum as it is a f150 yammy (476 lbs). Or does anyone know where to find one?

I built a double sided one out of square steel tube on casters. It's great because you can take a outboard off then spin it around and hang the new one. I think I spent about 300. on materials including wheels. I will put up a few pictures if anyone is interested.

beemer

I built that same stand as per spects for an older 115 Johnson V-4.It's a heavy ***** at about 280 lbs. and it carries it
just fine. Any much heavier though and I would definately reinforce it a bit more as Foxsea has already mentioned. The whole project cost me about $60.00 to build,and that was
including new lumber. If you have some scrap wood laying around you could do it for
alot less!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to see a few pics Beemer. Wood is definitely an easier build, but steel definitely sounds like a better way, and I do have a welder at my disposal. Thanks for the link GLG, that iboats site actually seems pretty informative.
Still checking around, but building one looks like the only way to get this done timely.

Love to see a few pics Beemer. Wood is definitely an easier build, but steel definitely sounds like a better way, and I do have a welder at my disposal. Thanks for the link GLG, that iboats site actually seems pretty informative.
Still checking around, but building one looks like the only way to get this done timely.

Here ya go hoochie bob , hope it works our for ya. If you need any measurements let me know.

beemer

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/orcabeemer19/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back