Opinions from the best resource I know....you guys

Pippen

Howdy all,

So I am casually keeping my eyes open for a boat this fall/winter. I am in no huge rush and although I have been running boats for a long time I have a quick question about engines.

How notable would the difference in gas consumption be with the engines on this boat vs going with newer 4 strokes or the new 2 strokes? I had one friend say these would be "pigs" on fuel.....but is a "pig" considered 25% more fuel consumption or 75% more?

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Pursuit or Grady will likely be my choice. I do like this boat...and the price is right....my only downfall is the "walkaround" aspect of this boat. I have been on many Pursuits and for me I would like to have this as a boat to fish around Vancouver with but I find the "walkaround" aspect to be almost a bit of waste of space. I would prefer more room down below and not sure how nuts I would be running this on the WCVI.

Anyhow....my main question is for you pro's as to what kind of a difference in fuel consumption vs newer power?

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=5664

Thanks guys for any help or insight.

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

quote:Originally posted by holmes

you will probably use a lot of fuel with minimal distance covered without any props[:p]...holmes*

Ha ha....ya it will help me to keep my trolling speed down. Way easier than dragging a 5 litre pail behind the boat. [:p] Full Gorby style. [:eek:)]

Can only talk from my own experience-had a 98 yamaha 200 pushing a fully loaded-sleep two guys 100 lbs of ice etc etc for west coast fishing. The boat was a 21'century about the same weight as a Striper /about 12 gal an hour. I now have a 2003 Orca 24xlc which is at least a 1/3 heavier if not more with a 225 4 stroke around 8 to 8 1/2 an hour. Now the speeds are not the same-cruise was 32 for the century vs.26 for the Orca. So my gut feel is 25 % better fuel consumption on standard engines(I have no knowledge of HPDI's or similiar). Hope this helps-my boats always seem to have full weight on board-they are never run light.

quote:Originally posted by spring fever

Can only talk from my own experience-had a 98 yamaha 200 pushing a fully loaded-sleep two guys 100 lbs of ice etc etc for west coast fishing. The boat was a 21'century about the same weight as a Striper /about 12 gal an hour. I now have a 2003 Orca 24xlc which is at least a 1/3 heavier if not more with a 225 4 stroke around 8 to 8 1/2 an hour. Now the speeds are not the same-cruise was 32 for the century vs.26 for the Orca. So my gut feel is 25 % better fuel consumption on standard engines(I have no knowledge of HPDI's or similiar). Hope this helps-my boats always seem to have full weight on board-they are never run light.

Thanks SF....that is kinda along the lines of what I was thinking to expect. [8D]

the newer 2 strokes (like, 2006 and up) are a very, very different engine from past generations.
I just repowered my 25' grady from 1989 twin 200 yamaha 2 strokes
to 2008 etec 200's (2 stroke) and my fuel mileage went up close to double. I can now fish all day offshore for about 120 L/day. It use to be well over 200.

on smaller boats, i think yes 4 strokes are noticeably better in fuel mileage, up to the 21' ish range. Above that, its a toss up. We have family friends with the exact same boat as me with twin 200 yamaha 4 strokes, and i cruise 3mph faster than him all while getting .4mpg better mileage.

img3937n.jpg

Scotty, youre going to hate that windshield, or lack of. Those old 2 strokes will burn 25 gal/ hr. I highly suggest keep looking. Theres better deals out there.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I have a 1997 200 carbed Yami on my 22 Seasport...10 gallons per hr at 30 mph. Personally and this is just me...I don't like boats that on this coast that don't offer protection from the weather for less than 4 persons. So cabin boats are me preference. I've had my share of small open boats over the years stuck in cold winds and bundled up trying to keep from getting soaked right through to the bone. Some of the larger Grady's really can't keep more than 2 people comfortably out of the weather. Fine in Florida, not so much here.

What Profisher said. Unless you are a CC enthusiast, get a cabin boat. I have had a couple of Walk Arounds, at teh end of the day the cabin is big enough to be a pain but too small to even do anything in! If you want a great walk around boat, just get a centre console, you can actually fish from the front, versus trying to deal with a halibut 3 feet in the air from the front of a Grady.

My $0.02..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Scotty, youre going to hate that windshield, or lack of. Those old 2 strokes will burn 25 gal/ hr. I highly suggest keep looking. Theres better deals out there.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Dave (Gorbola).....I know and I agree. As mentioned in my post...I would much rather go with a Grady or a Pursuit more like yours. I think it would be a good boat for "local Vancouver waters" but if I was to take it to the WCVI with waves possibly breaking over the bow there would be a set of tidal rapids running down the floor on both sides of the boat.

Whatever I end up buying....can you rig up one of your chairs? Best set up I have seen....loved the "perch". It's also great cuz everyone can hear ya beaking at them. [:p] ;)

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

What Profisher said. Unless you are a CC enthusiast, get a cabin boat. I have had a couple of Walk Arounds, at teh end of the day the cabin is big enough to be a pain but too small to even do anything in! If you want a great walk around boat, just get a centre console, you can actually fish from the front, versus trying to deal with a halibut 3 feet in the air from the front of a Grady.

My $0.02..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Charlie, Profisher and LC...

I agree....it's not my style....I just had a buddy mention it to me as he was been looking too. I know I would not be happy with it at the end of the day. Just looking at it and the power on it provoked me to ask the question.

I am leaning toward a red/silver 18' Lund with an old 20HP Johnson (stern drive).....no riggers, and a fish finder....and no radar deflector cuz at that height I am sure I can go "under the radar" and not have to worry about it. [:p] ;) HA HA.. Watch out "highway"....here comes the reckless Pippen!![:p]

The boat in the link would be fun to dick around in and fish off in local waters (used to have a 21' CC Seacraft to buzz the local waters) but if I am getting something at least 28' I also want something that I could cruise and overnight on somewhat comfortably. If I have a few pints and some fish tacos I wanna make sure my lovely GF and fishing partner wouldn't get consumed by the scent and have some room to kick me on the floor. [:eek:)]

Hey there, Pippen. That doesn't really look like what you're looking for, based on your criteria IMO. Also, you saw my boat with the twin 135 Optis - planes instantly. I burn about 60 litres on a Portland trip and 90 to 100 on a Hyson trip, usually less than my buddys with a big 4 stroke and kicker. Those are sweet motors, just a bit noisier than 4 strokes.

Good luck with your search

Scott

As other have said, get a cabin style boat.

I was out this year on one of those wet, windy, drizzly days and ran into some guys from down in the states. One guy asked me what I thought of my Hewes and I said good boat for around here, but I already have 2 ftitis (it actually 4 ft[:p]), I ask how he liked his 26' CC/Wa and he said he had cabinitis:). He (and his partners) were all bundled up in their duck hunting camo and trying to get under the hard top, curtain cover to stray out of the wind and drizzle, and this while trolling. It did not look fun:D(actually it looked pretty funny seeing four big guys all in camo, hudling around the small cockpit....)

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I have a Wellcraft 24' WA and the helm is at the front of the dash not back from the dash like this Pursuit model. So u will be spending alot of time fishing out of cover on that boat. My friend has a older Pursuit I love the boat. The Transom is well set up and all the electronics are under the front dash just lift up and its all there, real easy access. Power wise I have a 99 225 Merc EFI 2 Stroke and my friend has a Grady Adventure with those same Yamis and his fuel economy is the same as mine. West Coast in the Swells your looking at prob 25% more on fuel than a 4 Stroke atleast. That price sticker on that is mainly for the boat value on the motors maybe 4 or 5 grand for both.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

Howdy all,

So I am casually keeping my eyes open for a boat this fall/winter. I am in no huge rush and although I have been running boats for a long time I have a quick question about engines.

How notable would the difference in gas consumption be with the engines on this boat vs going with newer 4 strokes or the new 2 strokes? I had one friend say these would be "pigs" on fuel.....but is a "pig" considered 25% more fuel consumption or 75% more?

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Pursuit or Grady will likely be my choice. I do like this boat...and the price is right....my only downfall is the "walkaround" aspect of this boat. I have been on many Pursuits and for me I would like to have this as a boat to fish around Vancouver with but I find the "walkaround" aspect to be almost a bit of waste of space. I would prefer more room down below and not sure how nuts I would be running this on the WCVI.

Anyhow....my main question is for you pro's as to what kind of a difference in fuel consumption vs newer power?

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=5664

Thanks guys for any help or insight.

Your gas consumption question has been pretty much answered but re the boat choice:
I think your concern about cabin size on a walkaround is well warranted. The 28' Pursuit you have a link to here while s*xy looking and great for day use in sunny warm climates, is not for the 'wet' coast IMHO. As for cabin space, there's more in a 22'-24 foot cabin boat like Seasport or Skagit Orca !! I have run a 29.5 Pro-line walkaround and while that boat had a stand up head, 2 burner stove, fridge/freezer, sudo galley with counter top and storage cabinetry, as well as V birth, I felt it was way too small for a 30 foot boat. As well all the cabin is 'down below' with tiny port holes you can see nothing out of ......no scenery to see when in the 'cabin' !!
I would talk to Spring Fever about his Skagit Orca and look at some other cabin boats including the Pursuit, Seasport, Tiara, Monaro, Zeta and Commander etc etc .... before considering any more walkarounds ( I understand that I/O may not be an option you are interested in but remember repowering with twin outboards will be $$$$) I think walkarounds are great day-use guide boats for the summer but at the very least, a 28' should have a closeable stand up head !!! If you fish all year round in BC and want to spend a nite aboard or just be dry....walkarounds are not a appropriate choice in my opinion. Spend some of your money on cabin space rather then just length. Moorage will be cheaper too !!

Thanks profisher......I am very much of the same mindset as you. Ya..the boat in the first post would be fun to zip around in on nice weather days but for me and my uses it just wouldn't work....unless I could find that winning Lotto Max ticket!! ;) :D [:p]

Whether I look towards something like a Skagit or that kind of layout or something with a cabin "below" like a Pursuit/Tiara etc is something to look at.

I used to own a Zeta years ago and know the family who own the company....very, very solid built boats.

Before you get too hyped over cabin boats, there is one big downfall. You have issues seeing past the cabin super structure, and when fishing in tight conditions it is hard to see and avoid other boats. Not all Gradys have a small seating area. My Express has seats for 5 to 6 passengers plus centre seat for driver. The key is to first develop a careful list of what you need and want in a boat, then try to match that to the boats built. Engines are not a big deal breaker if you get the hull you want. Lets face it, if you have outboards it is 4 bolts and she is gone. The hull is the key.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Anyone who claims that new 2s are better fuel consumption than 4s is just kidding themselves. While you may be able to get slightly better on gas, you are not considering the oil consumption which is considerable. Not considerable in volume, just considerable in cost. Premium Mercury OPti-Maxd Gold synthetic is about $60 to $80 per gallon. Once you factor that into the equation the playing field is at least equal for the 4s and probably slightly better.

I run a injected 2s 200 and when it dies, its a Yamie 250 4s for me. No oil, no smell and an engine that you can talk over really appeals to me.

I gotta say that a hardtop cabin with a rear steering station is tough to beat IMHO.I was never a fan till i fished a few times in them during poor conditions.My buddies 24ft skagit with a pod is the best rig i have fished. As said you have a few blindspots so need to be aware of boat traffic when in the back but in terms of getting out of the elements ect its unreal. Lots of those walk arounds do not have a realistic seating setup. Two seats upfront then two cushions at best. Searuns rig is an exception as its setup just the way it should be but its also got the beam to do so which most 22-24ft WA dont.

Pippen check parkers out.Its a yankee brand but i only hear good things and there are a good number for sale down south. Their lines and construction are gorgeous. Both WA and cabin styles.Not many in canada which suprises me.

http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_lineup/boat_detail.jsp?boatid=16

Back