Opinion on 115 - 4stroke

When I got the new boat, 185 Double Eagle I looked into the 115 and the 150. The general opion I got was that it was ok, but the 150 was better.After using the 150 for the year I'am very happy I went with the extra power.It is lazy out of the hole but once you're up it's good,the 115 would have to work harder I think,but would proably do the job.I personally like to have some extra power,and if you have a choice go big.DAN

Whats the difference in fuel economy? Were looking at a new boat and i had the feeling i wouldnt be able to afford fuel on anything over 115

I have a 19ft cuddy with a 150 Evinrude-good old 2 stroke at that.To launch at Sunny Shores and fish the day at Otter-trolling with the main engine(f****N' merc kicker!)Would run me 60 liters.Not sure what the distance is but I'm happy enough with that.
Need the 150 to get out of the hole and keep it out comfortably.
I'd rather work a 150 at 60% than a 115 at 80%-& I bet the gas consumption rate would probably be quite similar
Unless of course you like to cruise at 5000rpm!

It hardly burns anything Kelly,I didn't keep an exact log but I would say just over half of what my 2 stroke 130 Yamaha burned which was on a 17.5 Double Eagle.When we were up in Barclay sound this summer my friend had his 16 Double Eagle with a 90 evinrude 2 stroke we burned less than half of what he did.We pretty much went to the same spots each day.They are great on gas.DAN

Had an 18 ft w/a Trophy with 115 merc 4 str. and thought it was kinda gutless. Fairly slow out of the hole.
Last winter went through The Race Rocks mixed with some wind, bout 5-6ft standing waves and the 115 was huffing pretty hard. I'd go for the 150 for sure. Got an 150 Optimax on a 20 ftr tin boat and I can tell ya that that thing jumps out of the hole, cruising @ 3700rpm with 6 gal/hr[^]
quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Is a Yam 115 - 4 stroke enough to power an 18-19'
walkaround cuddy ?
what d'ya think ??

I think it depends what you want from the engine. A 150 4 stroke will cruise at lower rpms, work less hard, be more attractive for resale and give you a higher speed at WOT. Don't think time to plane will be significantly better with a 115 4 stroke because of the 150's weight. You will want to consider hydraulic steering with a 150 but could get away with cable steering on a 115. The costs become signficant between the two if you go 150 with hydraulic steering. Have a tight budget and want a 4 stroke go with the 115 with trim tabs. I would also look at the 115 Etec.

I have a Malibu 182 that has a 115 yamaha as power.It's fine out of the hole and cruises at about 30 mph.The boat did have 135 Mariner and it cruised at 42.I love the fuel consumption but I do miss the speed.I like to go fast.In hindsight I wish I would have gone with the 150,But the 115 is more than adequate.

I have a 18.5 ft cuddy with a 06 150 Yamie, I run loaded to the cabin from Port to Julia Passage and then out to all the haunts, including off shore to fish for several days and I average about 4 gallons per hr when running 28 mph. No complaints at all and like the extra power over the 115.

Somewhere along this, may I ask for your opinion too guys? I have a 17.5' Champion runabout, 1979 vintage, still with the original 70 hp Johnson. While the boat is in excellent shape due to a bit of work, my old and so far reliable motor is starting to act up. I think it's time for a replacement and I was peeking at a 115 Yam too - figuring one day my two sons (3 and 5) may want to do more than just fishing with this boat. But I am a bit concerned about the motor weight. The boat lisence says it can be powered up to 140hp - but that was 2 stroke and they were most likely lighter than a 115 4 stroke. My 70 hp leaves about 6 or 7" freeboard at the transom when just floating. Wouldn't a 115 Yam basically sink my boat over stern?

Why don't you go to a 90hp Yam if you're worried about the extra weight although it will still weigh in at almost 370 lbs
the 115 is over 400lbs.

I found out that my old 70hp Johnson weighs 230 lbs. The boat was max. rated for a 1979 140hp 2stroke. Anybody an idea how heavy such an old 140hp engine is/was? That would be the max weight I should stick with, right? Can you actually ask for a sea trial of a new motor on your boat when you buy in a marine store? Would they install the engine and replace in case the sea trial reveals the motor is too heavy?

Why don't you add some weight in the back and see where she sits.I don't think any marine place that I know of will bolt a motor on for free,and change it if you don't like it.DAN

How much do you weigh, Dan? Can I borrow you for a trial? I can't think of a practical 150 lbs weight that I can just temporary mount on my transom...

Had a 17' Searay Laguna, centre console, I expect to be alot less weight than yours, and the 115 was pretty bad.The boat was rated for 150 h.p.. And talked to some people and they said you are allowed 20% over the boat rating, so I did, put a 175 on it and what a difference, I think fuel economy was even better as didnt have to work the motor as hard to acheive greater speeds

Back