Nootka Report

Holmes, great report as usual. Nice shots. Looks like a landmark year for CC and Nootka Sound. Paella recipe on its way this week.

Matador

Hey Holmes,
All of us really appreciate the reports that you have been posting here and the enthusiasm that you have shown. My brother and I will be there starting Wed for a week. We're staying in Tahsis but will no doubt be doing some fishing in Nootka. What time of the day are those ribs ready.We would like to stop by and personaly thank your for the great reports and enjoy a dinner of "Holmes Ribs".

the ribs have been sounding very enticing and like tyeeking we too will have to swing in for a taste.

Thanks Holmes. Family is keeping me close to home these days, but if you, Cam and Catherine are ever down this way, we always have a couple open seats on our boat (Granted the fishing in Puget Sound can be spotty).:D

Darrel and Sandra

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

Thinking of sleeping in the boat this year , does critter cove have moorage and do they sell ice . thanks . Been to cougar creek 5yrs in a row , missed last year.Got a bigger boat and want to try the outside this year, the pictures on this post have been making me drool!

KCW I stay in the boat there lots, $30.00 per night, good washrooms, pay shower (right on), and a great restaurant. Lots of ice available, you can leave cooler at your dock space while fishing.
And coffee ready at first light.

like me, try it, and you will be back

Snagger

Holmes, thanks for taking care of us for 4 days, we had a great time. Yes everyone his ribs are the BEST """""""""". We took our fair share of the clones (25lb) missed out on anything bigger. Saw lots at the dock. I need to spend more money I guess.

the late guys

Bag lunch and dinner special

Holmes, thanks for taking care of us for 4 days, we had a great time. Yes everyone his ribs are the BEST """""""""". We took our fair share of the clones (25lb) missed out on anything bigger. Saw lots at the dock. I need to spend more money I guess.

the late guys

Bag lunch and dinner special

Had a wonderful fishing trip this weekend. Went with seven guys in three boats. We stayed at Tuta for three days. It’s rustic to say the least but the people that run it are very nice. They had a birthday party for Larry on Saturday night with all the guests invited to supper. I was out fishing so I missed it but some of our group attended and were very impressed with the food. The repairs to the docks are nearly completed and everything is looking much better than in the past. The weigh in scale is reported to be a couple of pounds out so you might want to weigh your fish there if you are still looking for that tyee. Our group all managed to limit out, except me. Sunday was our best day and the bite at camel rock seemed to last all afternoon. I tried almost everything in my tackle box with no luck for two days. I finally gave in to the bait side and with a six and a half foot leader, purple haze teaser head and silver / green flasher at between 40 and 50 feet I got two nice springs into the boat. Had a few other pin poppers that did not stick but hey that’s fishing. Our group did get a few clipped Coho but we were not targeting them. Ran out to bajo reef but only stayed for 10 minutes. It was to rough for most to enjoy the fishing. (read chum the water) The inside spots that I usually fish were only producing small springs. Camel Rock and Three Bay is where our group had the most success. We heard of a few other places that the fishing was good but we usually stick to the places we know. For the most part people kept their right side rod to the rocks and everything worked out fine. When playing a fish we found that having the net out and in ones hand all the other boats gave way or went around us. Stopped at Critter Cove for a supper and then a lunch the next day. Holmes knows how to treat you. The food was excellent. I had the pork chop special for supper and a critter burger for lunch and they sure hit the spot. I highly recommend the food there. I’m not a camera guy but did bring my daughters to try to take a few snaps.
GLG

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0492.jpg

Had a wonderful fishing trip this weekend. Went with seven guys in three boats. We stayed at Tuta for three days. It’s rustic to say the least but the people that run it are very nice. They had a birthday party for Larry on Saturday night with all the guests invited to supper. I was out fishing so I missed it but some of our group attended and were very impressed with the food. The repairs to the docks are nearly completed and everything is looking much better than in the past. The weigh in scale is reported to be a couple of pounds out so you might want to weigh your fish there if you are still looking for that tyee. Our group all managed to limit out, except me. Sunday was our best day and the bite at camel rock seemed to last all afternoon. I tried almost everything in my tackle box with no luck for two days. I finally gave in to the bait side and with a six and a half foot leader, purple haze teaser head and silver / green flasher at between 40 and 50 feet I got two nice springs into the boat. Had a few other pin poppers that did not stick but hey that’s fishing. Our group did get a few clipped Coho but we were not targeting them. Ran out to bajo reef but only stayed for 10 minutes. It was to rough for most to enjoy the fishing. (read chum the water) The inside spots that I usually fish were only producing small springs. Camel Rock and Three Bay is where our group had the most success. We heard of a few other places that the fishing was good but we usually stick to the places we know. For the most part people kept their right side rod to the rocks and everything worked out fine. When playing a fish we found that having the net out and in ones hand all the other boats gave way or went around us. Stopped at Critter Cove for a supper and then a lunch the next day. Holmes knows how to treat you. The food was excellent. I had the pork chop special for supper and a critter burger for lunch and they sure hit the spot. I highly recommend the food there. I’m not a camera guy but did bring my daughters to try to take a few snaps.
GLG

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0492.jpg

Hey GLG, good on you, sounds like you guys had a great trip. I have fished Camel Rock on quite a few occassions and managed to leave a couple of canon balls behind there....:( Thanks for the pics. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey GLG, good on you, sounds like you guys had a great trip. I have fished Camel Rock on quite a few occassions and managed to leave a couple of canon balls behind there....:( Thanks for the pics. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

SS Rodger that. Left 2 c-balls 2 bungies and 2 clips there. Did not hit bottom but had smeg on the downrigger line that slid the pink stoppers up till the line snapped. Lesson learned that you need 2 pink stoppers to trigger the auto stop.
GLG

SS Rodger that. Left 2 c-balls 2 bungies and 2 clips there. Did not hit bottom but had smeg on the downrigger line that slid the pink stoppers up till the line snapped. Lesson learned that you need 2 pink stoppers to trigger the auto stop.
GLG

here are some pics from our trip on july 25th thru the 31st

mostly caught outside on the highway except for a 32 by the wall and a 31 by hois point

CanonCamera2009255.jpg

CanonCamera2009332.jpg

CanonCamera2009346.jpg

CanonCamera2009365.jpg

CanonCamera2009391.jpg

here are some pics from our trip on july 25th thru the 31st

mostly caught outside on the highway except for a 32 by the wall and a 31 by hois point

CanonCamera2009255.jpg

CanonCamera2009332.jpg

CanonCamera2009346.jpg

CanonCamera2009365.jpg

CanonCamera2009391.jpg

Back