Nootka - Critter Cove

quote:Originally posted by fishwish

Highway means offshore.

FishWish

Thanks! Didn't realize that, we fished out to Bajo last year and did well when it wasn't rough.

hiway in general is 200'to300 ish, offshore. Surfline is find a rock and circle it like a vulture. The fish are moving, so be prepared to move and be flexible. The hiway, if you can get and stay there safely is a pretty good bet. Start at 70 to 90' and go from there. Hope that helps.

JD

8' leaders? Is that all you run JD? You almost have to have to be on the front of the boat with the netter in the back for that.

Cornfed: 8' is reasonable given two reasons:

1.) it is fishing, so give the admirable quarry a bit of a chance, and it is more than worth the adrenal rush boatside. I use 10'6" sticks also.

2.) 8' Fluro w #2 Gamis and small bait....WORKS....

....I better stop helping U

ha ha...well let me help you. Get some OWNER hooks and you will never go back. I run 6' leaders and they seem to work for me, but I can see where the 8' would come in handy if the fish are finnicky and you want a little bit of excitement.

What weight Fluoro?? I was running 30# in Beer Can two years ago and had a 30ish King chew the back hook off. I have since started running leader guard which works great, but just curious what other folks are having success with?

I think its that thin plastic almost tube thing you put between your hooks on tandom setups. Ushually orange at least thats what it sounds like

I've seen it on Radiant's pre tied double rigs, It's on the leader between the 1st and 2nd hook(very small plastic tube) great idea.

Bingo, you got it, Radiant's UV tubing works great. They sell it in bulk pack's also.

D

regarding tandem hooks, all I ever do is use a braided line from lead to trailer and I have never broken a fish off between the lead and trailer hook. the main line or leader will break first.

dan

Nootka what pound test are you using and what knots are you tieing.

quote:Originally posted by nootkaguide

regarding tandem hooks, all I ever do is use a braided line from lead to trailer and I have never broken a fish off between the lead and trailer hook. the main line or leader will break first.

dan

Dan, are you using halibut type braided line, or do you mean braided as in double wrapped monofilament?

Thanks

brokenrod

I am using 80 lb test and a palomar not and for life of me I cant remember the name of the other not.....I think braided snell?? I will find out for sure for you..

dan

The problem is you're using Fluorocarbon leaders, that material is not suitable for saltwater fishing trolling, it nicks and breaks far too easy. Its great for fly fishing lakes rivers and saltwater flats where fish have clear water and more time to look at a presentation.

The point of Fluoro is to have it disapear in the water, putting a leader guard in it totally defeats the purpose.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

The problem is you're using Fluorocarbon leaders, that material is not suitable for saltwater fishing trolling, it nicks and breaks far too easy. Its great for fly fishing lakes rivers and saltwater flats where fish have clear water and more time to look at a presentation.

The point of Fluoro is to have it disapear in the water, putting a leader guard in it totally defeats the purpose.

I've never lost a fish on fluoro leader, just started using it two years ago after I lost the Spring on Maxima mono. The UV tubing is also invisible (theoretically)- who know's we are not fish 'eh??
I just know we've had more hookups on the fluoro, but most I know who use it run 40# leader.

Back