New to the game - where can I shore fish?

Suther

So I used to fish for trout as a kid, and recently decided to start fishing again now that I have my own kids.

I started with some crab traps. Figured it was a really easy way to get something to show the kids, and maybe get some food too.

That quickly led to me wanting to pick up a rod and reel and see what I can haul in. So far, all I've nabbed is a small sculpin.

I dont have a boat, so crab fishing off the dock in Belcarra is my closest location. Well, technically Rocky Point Park is closer, but between the boat launch and super-low water levels there, I figure there isn't much decent fishing to be done...

Basically, I have two big questions right now.

First, Can you catch Salmon from Belcarra? Or is it just a waste of time? If salmon is no good, what do you suggest I should target while there?
Any good saltwater fishing spots near port moody that I haven't thought of?

Second, where can I do some night fishing??? Anywhere I can think of is in a park (Cates park, Rocky Point, Belcarra, Gary Point, Ambleside...) and parks all close at dusk or 9pm. I work late, and I want somewhere to go fishing after work. The closer to Port Moody, the better.

Thanks for any insight, and I look forward to becoming part of this community.

Last edited by a moderator:
You an catch Pink Salmon in Cates Park, but that's a long way from Port Moody and the Pinks have finished their run up to the Indian River.

here ya go.... i have lived and fished port moody all my life but i am not handing you exact info....

there are two productive hatcheries in port moody that are 5 mins apart.

learn the life cycle of salmon, you can catch coho at both these spots when they are staging.

cutthroat trout show up when when the lil ones head out to start their ocean cycle.

get some hip waders and some light gear.

if the cutties are around and you present properly you can have lots of fun with them.

sometimes the merganzers can make it tough, they will actually try to grab your gear also, avoid this please, no fun hookin em.

the small lighthouse that sits facing burrrard beach has a couple good spots to target them also. a nice hike in. i have caught cohos here as well.

belacarra also has some sole/flounder

You an catch Pink Salmon in Cates Park, but that's a long way from Port Moody and the Pinks have finished their run up to the Indian River.

Are pinks the only things running up Indian Arm? I was kinda figuring Cates Park and Belcarra aught to have similar fishing, considering their close proximity (albeit across the water from each other.) Any idea how long ago the run ended? I see people catching lots of pinks headed for the Cap River in the fishing reports forum...

Where is the Indian River? The north end of Indian Arm? (google maps doesn't seem to label rivers, and I can't find any other decent maps.)

I dont mind going for a bit of a drive to get somewhere, it seems all there is to catch at Belcarra is flounder/sole, and I haven't had much luck with that since I have been going on weekends and there is always a tonne of people crab fishing on the weekends... (and the lack of being able to fish at night here.)

here ya go.... i have lived and fished port moody all my life but i am not handing you exact info....

there are two productive hatcheries in port moody that are 5 mins apart.

learn the life cycle of salmon, you can catch coho at both these spots when they are staging.

cutthroat trout show up when when the lil ones head out to start their ocean cycle.

get some hip waders and some light gear.

if the cutties are around and you present properly you can have lots of fun with them.

sometimes the merganzers can make it tough, they will actually try to grab your gear also, avoid this please, no fun hookin em.

the small lighthouse that sits facing burrrard beach has a couple good spots to target them also. a nice hike in. i have caught cohos here as well.

belacarra also has some sole/flounder

I have heard Belcarra has sole/flounder. Going to be targetting them next time Im out there.

Merganzer is a duck right? certainly dont wanna be hooking any of them....

I already know the life cycle of Salmon, just need to figure out the timing for the specific area.
I didn't realize there were two hatcheries in Port Moody, although a quick google search provided me with answers there. Thanks!

Any idea when in the year is a good time for Coho at these two spots? It seems to be staging time for many of the other salmon fisheries around?

edit - I read on one of their webpages these hatcheries (at least one) do both Coho and Chum... So could I potentially fish for either?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are pinks the only things running up Indian Arm? I was kinda figuring Cates Park and Belcarra aught to have similar fishing, considering their close proximity (albeit across the water from each other.) Any idea how long ago the run ended? I see people catching lots of pinks headed for the Cap River in the fishing reports forum...

Where is the Indian River? The north end of Indian Arm? (google maps doesn't seem to label rivers, and I can't find any other decent maps.)

I dont mind going for a bit of a drive to get somewhere, it seems all there is to catch at Belcarra is flounder/sole, and I haven't had much luck with that since I have been going on weekends and there is always a tonne of people crab fishing on the weekends... (and the lack of being able to fish at night here.)

Yes, the Indian River is at the very end of Indian Arm. Unfortunately, the only easy access to it is via boat up the Arm.

Yes, the Indian River is at the very end of Indian Arm. Unfortunately, the only easy access to it is via boat up the Arm.

So if the Indian River has a salmon run, and Cates Park is a place you can catch 'em, Belcarra aught to be a reasonable place to try from as well? It was mentioned that the Pink run is done already for the Indian River. Are there any other runs for this river? I have read about winter fishing for salmon farther up the inlet, but do they come down this far? Or would I need to head out to like Ambleside for that?

Where can I gain more information on the salmon runs? I know Pinks only run on odd years, and I can get a good idea of when Cap River and the Fraser is productive from the fishing reports of other users, but beyond that Im finding it really hard to get any useful information for the shore-bound fisherman.

Thanks for the info!

volunteer at the hatcheries,, bring yer kids!!!

Back