New To Sooke

• Thread starter Thread starter fishbones
  • Start date Start date
F

fishbones

Hi all,

I just moved to Sooke, and have been fishing secretary isl to the trap shack, with not much luck the last few times. I'm using anchovie with 6ft leader. I've tried purple haze, green glow, and all the other "hot teaser heads", but can't seem to catch the bite. Is Otter pt worth trying. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to sharing many stories and info with everyone on this board. Thanks for all the great posts,

Fishbones

Not the expert as I've been skunked last couple times out, but this area seems mostly dependant on the flood tide (pushing the bait in from open ocean). If you have slack at 6am, you are laughing - get the heck out there. Right now though, bite is apparently afternoon - basically fish from an hour before slack, through the flood and you should find some fish. Keep in mind they apparently are also deeper right now (50-120) where 'normally', earlier in the summer they run 25-60.

Typically there should be a first light bite as well even if it's an ebb, but I didn't see much happening this weekend first light.

Timing is everything!

Hit Otter at 1st light for the flood and surprisingly got nothing for the first few hours. Then, before noon we banged 2 springs close to thirty pounds and then a couple hours later banged 2 more in the low twenties for a LIMIT! The first 2 were surface screamers and the other 2 ran straight down as if they were 40 pounders. Still LOTS of fish around sooke for september, just have to be patient a work a little. Awesome day out there. MAde it home just as the south-easter started blowing.

YUP! Actually 2 were deep and 2 were shallow. The schools of springs seem to be coming thru at different depths.

I'm hitting otter first thing tomorrow morning...will let everyone know how it goes. I was away for the weekend, so I had to take monday off work to get out fishing.

Fished the 6:40 pm tide change last night at Otter--1 20 lber, 1 coho and 1 pink. Seemed a bit slower...
T2

Edited by - tsquared on 09/12/2005 06:39:15

Back