new plotter

scott craven

looking at the Garmin 172c color plotter...
anybody currently using this product ?
likes, dislikes?

thanks

scotty

I have been using that model for three years now.
Luv it!
Anything specific you're look'n for?

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

I have been using that model for three years now.
Luv it!
Anything specific you're look'n for?

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

never owned a plotter previously, so looking
for a good reliable product.
have a garmin #72 hand held unit that's been good to me.
i will try the 172c when i get the $$$ together

scotty

never owned a plotter previously, so looking
for a good reliable product.
have a garmin #72 hand held unit that's been good to me.
i will try the 172c when i get the $$$ together

scotty

Mine has been a true Work Horse.
There are better systems available - If you can accommodate them on your boat.

I have had issue's w/ Garmin in the distant and not so distant past (2 weeks ago and several years ago), unrelated w/ the 172. Each time I presented my query, they came back with UNBELIEVABLE Customer Service. Which IMO, is SEVERELY lacking these day's. Especially in the marine industry.

If I'm correct, I think I saw them available at the shows for around $550.00 (?)

I should also say that my unit uses an external antenna mounted high on the arch.

Good luck - Dean.

Mine has been a true Work Horse.
There are better systems available - If you can accommodate them on your boat.

I have had issue's w/ Garmin in the distant and not so distant past (2 weeks ago and several years ago), unrelated w/ the 172. Each time I presented my query, they came back with UNBELIEVABLE Customer Service. Which IMO, is SEVERELY lacking these day's. Especially in the marine industry.

If I'm correct, I think I saw them available at the shows for around $550.00 (?)

I should also say that my unit uses an external antenna mounted high on the arch.

Good luck - Dean.

have located an on-line source (thanks to Malibuguy)
for $399.00 us dollars, map chip is $129.00
when i'm ready i will use that source.

why is a little electronic box so damn expensive?
you can buy a home computer for the same price !

scotty

have located an on-line source (thanks to Malibuguy)
for $399.00 us dollars, map chip is $129.00
when i'm ready i will use that source.

why is a little electronic box so damn expensive?
you can buy a home computer for the same price !

scotty

Mr Dean, i've heard good reviews about the garmin, how does the chart detail on the chip compare to navionics?

Thanks

Mr Dean, i've heard good reviews about the garmin, how does the chart detail on the chip compare to navionics?

Thanks

Craven;
Fairly certain that the price of $550 Can. included one chip of your choosing........
This price is less than half of what they were selling for when we were purchasing. And are cheaper as every year goes by. Guess one has to identify and justify the need for purchasing one.

But once you do, you'll never fish without one AGAIN! regardless of the manufacturer you go with.

marula;
Haven't used the Navtronics. Have several friends that utilize Globaltec. Detail apears to be equal to that, for the areas I haunt. Both display charts as if you were looking at the real deal except the contour lines are colour scaled giving you a sense of 'depth'. Globaltec wins the race hands down with display features and power though. IF I could use it on our boat, I would.

The only draw back that I see w/ Globaltec is that the lap-tops don't hold up very long bouncing over the oceon. ALL my friends need a new one after two, three seasons tops. Not to huge of a deal. Just sucks when it doesn't want to perform when you do.

Edited by - Mr. Dean on 03/13/2006 14:40:09

Craven;
Fairly certain that the price of $550 Can. included one chip of your choosing........
This price is less than half of what they were selling for when we were purchasing. And are cheaper as every year goes by. Guess one has to identify and justify the need for purchasing one.

But once you do, you'll never fish without one AGAIN! regardless of the manufacturer you go with.

marula;
Haven't used the Navtronics. Have several friends that utilize Globaltec. Detail apears to be equal to that, for the areas I haunt. Both display charts as if you were looking at the real deal except the contour lines are colour scaled giving you a sense of 'depth'. Globaltec wins the race hands down with display features and power though. IF I could use it on our boat, I would.

The only draw back that I see w/ Globaltec is that the lap-tops don't hold up very long bouncing over the oceon. ALL my friends need a new one after two, three seasons tops. Not to huge of a deal. Just sucks when it doesn't want to perform when you do.

Edited by - Mr. Dean on 03/13/2006 14:40:09

399 US converts to 461 Cdn. When you add on the extra international shipping charges and brokerage. You may want to consider a Canadian supplier. GPS Central at http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/172c.htm has them for 499 Cdn with shipping as low as $8 Cdn. Since they are in Alberta it looks like no PST either making the price the same. Them US deals are not so great when you get hit with a $60 Brokerage Fee, GST and PST, and have to ship them to the US for warranty.

Had a Garmin 12XL and really liked it. I ended up gettting a Lowrance 337 because Garmin's coverage areas were so much smaller, hence more $$$ for equal coverage of the coast.

399 US converts to 461 Cdn. When you add on the extra international shipping charges and brokerage. You may want to consider a Canadian supplier. GPS Central at http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/172c.htm has them for 499 Cdn with shipping as low as $8 Cdn. Since they are in Alberta it looks like no PST either making the price the same. Them US deals are not so great when you get hit with a $60 Brokerage Fee, GST and PST, and have to ship them to the US for warranty.

Had a Garmin 12XL and really liked it. I ended up gettting a Lowrance 337 because Garmin's coverage areas were so much smaller, hence more $$$ for equal coverage of the coast.

sorry wrong price should read $379 + $129 for the chip
+ 40.00 shipping handling + 2% border fee = $558.16 us dollars

this would equate to about $648.00 canadian

gps central $499 + $170 + 46.83 gst + $15.00 frt = $730.83 canadian

savings of about $83.00

worth it? not sure....

scotty

sorry wrong price should read $379 + $129 for the chip
+ 40.00 shipping handling + 2% border fee = $558.16 us dollars

this would equate to about $648.00 canadian

gps central $499 + $170 + 46.83 gst + $15.00 frt = $730.83 canadian

savings of about $83.00

worth it? not sure....

scotty

Not sure what the 2% Border fee is.

If it comes accross legitimately, you get a bill for GST and PST which will come to almost exactly another $83, go figure.

Spent about $1500 on electronics last year. I looked long and hard at the US, prices looked way better. It's like a big roulette wheel with couriers and brokerage. Avoid UPS they are the most expensive. I hear the best method is USPS as they charge a flat fee, but either way you end up with a bill for PST and GST. In the end I bought up here, piece of mind with the warranty.

Not sure what the 2% Border fee is.

If it comes accross legitimately, you get a bill for GST and PST which will come to almost exactly another $83, go figure.

Spent about $1500 on electronics last year. I looked long and hard at the US, prices looked way better. It's like a big roulette wheel with couriers and brokerage. Avoid UPS they are the most expensive. I hear the best method is USPS as they charge a flat fee, but either way you end up with a bill for PST and GST. In the end I bought up here, piece of mind with the warranty.

Back