New here

• Thread starter Thread starter PTFisher
  • Start date Start date
P

PTFisher

Hello,

Watched the postings for awhile, and had a couple of questions that I thought would be worthwhile posting.

I was thinking about taking my family up to Sooke late this spring or summer, fishing for chinook or halibut, depending on when we go. We have a 15' Arima, which we fish in the Strait on this side (Neah Bay and Sekiu) through the summer. We would tow it across on the ferry and stay a week or so, fishing maybe a day or two.

Just wondering how far people run from the boat launch/marina in Sooke for halibut and chinook? My boat is a small boat, but is fine in the Strait on good days. If it's too far to run in exposed waters (more than 10 miles), we might do the charter boat thing, but that looks pricey.

Also, it looks like you've been having an incredibly winter chinook fishery this year. Does the good fishing generally last until the mature chinook show up in July, or is there a break where the feeders head offshore?

Thanks for the info in advance.

The feeders tend to usually die off in early march. You won't have any trouble with your boat. Most hot spots for salmon are within 5 miles or even closer from the marina's in Sooke and East Sooke. The halibut is for the most part from 6- 12 miles from the marinas in Sooke. Good luck, M.D.

The feeders tend to usually die off in early march. You won't have any trouble with your boat. Most hot spots for salmon are within 5 miles or even closer from the marina's in Sooke and East Sooke. The halibut is for the most part from 6- 12 miles from the marinas in Sooke. Good luck, M.D.

Actually the winter spring fishing has not been so spectacular this year, average at best. A lot of that though may be as a result of the windy weather keeping lots of boats off the water. You won't have any problems in Sooke with your boat and there are good hali places close by that you can get to I.e. Race Rocks, Pedder Bay etc. Most people anchor for Hali's but drifting can be productive too. You should have lot's of fun and you should consider towing the boat to fish Port Renfrew for a nice day trip as well for some nice springs.

Actually the winter spring fishing has not been so spectacular this year, average at best. A lot of that though may be as a result of the windy weather keeping lots of boats off the water. You won't have any problems in Sooke with your boat and there are good hali places close by that you can get to I.e. Race Rocks, Pedder Bay etc. Most people anchor for Hali's but drifting can be productive too. You should have lot's of fun and you should consider towing the boat to fish Port Renfrew for a nice day trip as well for some nice springs.

Yote-

I thought about doing a trip over to Renfrew... just looking at tidepools at that kind of stuff. If the spring fishing is better there, then I would probably fish there. Guess I would play it by ear. But, it sounds like that is doable, too. I'm encouraged.

Yote-

I thought about doing a trip over to Renfrew... just looking at tidepools at that kind of stuff. If the spring fishing is better there, then I would probably fish there. Guess I would play it by ear. But, it sounds like that is doable, too. I'm encouraged.

If you are looking to go to Renfrew , late May to early June has the Columbia springs in the area and will provide you with some sport, weather can still blow up though so stay close to the San Juan bay and you will be fine , Camper creek ,rock pile and the ladder are the area's within your reach.

AL

If you are looking to go to Renfrew , late May to early June has the Columbia springs in the area and will provide you with some sport, weather can still blow up though so stay close to the San Juan bay and you will be fine , Camper creek ,rock pile and the ladder are the area's within your reach.

AL

I think if you taking a trip and fishing around Sooke include a day out at Port Renfrew.

I think if you taking a trip and fishing around Sooke include a day out at Port Renfrew.

wait till end of july, or august and you will have better
odds at a good spring fishery.
it seems to be getting later every year, and in 2005
the first 2 weeks of september were the best for big fish.
renfrew was hot at that time too.

scotty

wait till end of july, or august and you will have better
odds at a good spring fishery.
it seems to be getting later every year, and in 2005
the first 2 weeks of september were the best for big fish.
renfrew was hot at that time too.

scotty

Back