New anglers' coalition hopes to lobby Ottawa

Whole in the Water

[h=1]Excellent article about what SVIAC is all about!

New anglers' coalition hopes to lobby Ottawa[/h]By Sharron Ho - Sooke News Mirror
Published: December 05, 2012 5:00 AM

A new society has been formed to lobby different levels of government against the decline of the recreational fishery on South Vancouver Island.

The South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition has an objective to educate municipal, provincial and federal levels of government on the social and economic importance of the region’s fishery to increase access for all Canadians.

“The purpose of the society is to act as a lobbying voice for the angling community of South Vancouver Island. We want to see the stop in the decline of the fishery that we’ve been witnesses over the last 10 years,” said Christopher Bos, SVIAC president.

“In other words we want to return and rebuild the robust, thriving fisheries that we had on South Vancouver Island historically. It’s important that we have abundant, healthy fish populations and we would like to see our wild fish given more respect by our government and more emphasis on rebuilding those stocks that are of concern.

“We are anglers that need to get the message out about the social significance and the importance of angling to the lifestyles of many people who live on South Vancouver Island as well as the economic impact that we bring when we have a thriving fishery.”

Bos stated over the course of 10 years, he’s observed increased restrictions and a massive decline of local fisheries like coho, chinook and halibut.

“When I say decline, I use the term of 50 per cent of our fishing time in the last decade is now under heavy restrictions or closed compared to a decade ago,” he said.

“We believe the Department of Fisheries and Ocean is using the reduction of fishing opportunities for commercial, recreational, and the First Nations as a method of recovery, which has proven to be historically a failure.”

He said the DFO is not addressing the root problem in fish stock decline, which could be a result from massive overfishing from commercial fleets, climate changes, destruction of habitat overtime or human caused activities.

“We don’t believe that it’s all nature caused as to why there are these declines and we believe that we can through our lobbying efforts create a positive change,” Bos said. “I’m not saying there’s not conservation concern on some of the fish, but we believe that’s not being addressed properly.”

One of the long-term goals of the society is to hire a full-time lobbyist in Ottawa who will speak on behalf of South Vancouver Island anglers. A position that will come at a hefty price of between $100,000 to $120,000.

Bos acknowledged the organization has a long road ahead.

The organization, became a society in July and had it’s first meeting on Nov. 27 in Langford.

“We had about 125 people attend our meeting and we signed up over 60 per cent of attendants as members on the spot,” Bos said.

As a new organization, the society has identified the four following tasks:

• Development of a strong membership base.

• Development of a three-year business plan to identify the key components such as details on the professional lobbyists, whether or not to take legal action on issues of importance, and how to proceed with activism campaigns.

Perform an economic study on the fishery of South Vancouver Island for lobbying efforts.

• Introduce themselves and educate all politicians within the SVIAC jurisdiction on fresh water and salt water angling on South Vancouver Island. Attain their support for lobbying efforts in Ottawa.

• Generation of a large amount of funds.

Info at: www.anglerscoalition.com.

Lorne, go to the website and under membership you can pay your annual fees to become a member of this society. The online payment link actually goes through the SFBC website - funny isn't it?

I will hope that this pilot project will soon gain tracks elsewhere in BC until we have a truly forceful voice for BC anglers. All it takes are some dedicated individuals and the pain-threshold being crossed.
Cheers!

A question here:

First of all I absolutely support the belief that we need a strong united group to work the political fight and lobby. I do have a couple questions that come to mind as I sort all this out.
Other than being geographically Specific (for now) How dose this group differ from the SFI? Has the SFI not taken a more political route and at times teamed up with BCWF to do some lobbying for sport fishing?

I guess what I am asking is this. Why not grow an already strong group and become stronger, rather than start yet another and spread resources and peoples interests even more? Is there a difference in opinion and objectives between the two? Dose the south Island group feel they need more attention directed at their unique issues surrounding their fishery?

I realize that each area has it's own unique situations and needs. It just seems at first glance that with that understanding I would wonder if one united group would be stronger than multiple groups.

I am not trying to question anyone's intentions here I am Just trying to sort it all out

You can now join SVIACS on-line!

You can now join SVIACS on-line!
The SVIACS is pleased to announce that memberships are now available for purchase on-line by following the link on the site home page.

Or you can go there from here http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=235

Details of the cause you will be joining and the benefits to members are described on this website or you can use the "Contact Us" link if you have questions and you wish to find out more.

Please join us and help build the momentum and voice we need to speak for our wild fish and the recreational fisheries they support that are so vital for our economy, culture, environment and our well-being!

P.S. Good questions Jencourt. An official explanatory response is being formulated now.

Last edited by a moderator:
In short Jencourt, SFI and other existing organization have done and do lobby governments on our behalf as well. Only problem is that these organizations are not totally independent from government as they received funding from them. And as you can imagine you can only lean so hard on someone who provides funding to you. And of course the results today show that past lobbying efforts have obviously not been enough or not effective as otherwise we wouldn't be in the pickle we are in right now.

Time to try something new, independent and focused.

[QUOTE I will hope that this pilot project will soon gain tracks elsewhere in BC until we have a truly forceful voice for BC anglers. All it takes are some dedicated individuals and the pain-threshold being crossed.
Cheers![/QUOTE]
Not just B.C., all CANADIAN anglers who have a vested interest in OUR Pacific Ocean stock.
I won't make many, if any of the meetings, but I'll sign up from out here to show support!!

x2

[QUOTE I will hope that this pilot project will soon gain tracks elsewhere in BC until we have a truly forceful voice for BC anglers. All it takes are some dedicated individuals and the pain-threshold being crossed.
Cheers!
Not just B.C., all CANADIAN anglers who have a vested interest in OUR Pacific Ocean stock.
I won't make many, if any of the meetings, but I'll sign up from out here to show support!![/QUOTE]

I won't make many, if any of the meetings, but I'll sign up from out here to show support!!

Not just CANADIAN either. Some of us U.S. folks also like to fish in B.C. waters and would like to see better protection of B.C. stocks. As it is now, I joke that I go to the west coast of Vancouver just to catch U.S. hatchery fish a bit earlier. Unfortunately, that joke is truer than I'd like it to be.

In short Jencourt, SFI and other existing organization have done and do lobby governments on our behalf as well. Only problem is that these organizations are not totally independent from government as they received funding from them. And as you can imagine you can only lean so hard on someone who provides funding to you. And of course the results today show that past lobbying efforts have obviously not been enough or not effective as otherwise we wouldn't be in the pickle we are in right now.

Time to try something new, independent and focused.

BCWF, government funded??? Please explain, I don't know that to be true.

Really, you want to give tax receipts then you may not be a lobby group.
Government frowns on groups that give tax receipts lobbying against them.

Really, you want to give tax receipts then you may not be a lobby group.
Government frowns on groups that give tax receipts lobbying against them.

Really? So the Gov't controls any charitable organization that provides tax recepts for donations. That's a new quantum leap. OMG

They receive funding for some of their projects, for instance here look at the bottom of the page where the sponsors are: http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=190

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is not good or they are not doing a great job in what they do but I believe an effective lobby group needs to be financially independent from the target of the effort.

Reply to Jencourt's earlier post ...

Hello Ray,

You ask a very good and important question. Here is my response …

You wrote … “Has the SFI not taken a more political route and at times teamed up with BCWF to do some lobbying for sport fishing?” - Answer – Yes but in truth, the BCWF has a strong shooting and hunting club here in Victoria but has not been tremendously active in lobbying the federal government on important local tidal fisheries issues. And for some reason, the SFI does have a presence here with several BoD members but as I see it doesn't have much support of the local guide and charter guys. This is an example of where SVIAC could and will bring everyone together more effectively, by helping SFI and the BCWF build their bases in this local patch.

You also wrote … “Dose the south Island group feel they need more attention directed at their unique issues surrounding their fishery?” - answer yes, big time!

And you wrote … “Other than being geographically Specific (for now) How dose this group differ from the SFI? Answer read below ...

This past summer when SVIAC was being formed, we, the founding members and the board of directors, discussed that question in great depth, concluding our chosen path of organizing a new society was the still best for everyone. One very important aspect of our founding principles as a society is to build strong powerful alliances with all like-minded angling groups and other NGOs with similar objectives. We most definitely have no intent to start a turf war. Far far from it. It is in all our best interests for anglers from all works of life to stand shoulder to shoulder.

South Vancouver Island is blessed with approximately 14 angling associations or groups … maybe more. Mostly local but a few provincial in scope. Most have been around for decades. Those groups all provide a service to their membership and do a good job in what they do and we, at SVIAC, support that completely. Thousands of dollars a year goes into salmon enhancement, thousands of hours a year goes into stream keeper and hatchery volunteering, plus many of those clubs offer important social and educational angling programs. The provincial angling groups face a myriad of fish, habitat and fisheries issues, (and yet many more if they represent hunters too), all with limited resources and thinly stretched volunteers, yet they all do as best they can which is truly remarkable. It deserves all our praise!

That having been said, here on Southern VI, we are facing massive challenges to our fisheries and the abundance and health of the fish our fisheries require; these are issues that are simply not being addressed effectively, if at all by anyone. Fraser stream-type Chinook recovery, politics skewing fisheries management, no socio-economic study of angling on SVI, unreliable indefensible Area 19 and 20 creel data, insufficient Chinook hatchery enhancement and net-penning, insufficient Chinook for Orca food to meet the SARA recovery plan are all huge issues for us down here. Pretty tragic and telling when the high point of our fishery is catching the Chinook provided by USA.

What is actually being done by any group to stop this disaster from running over us like a tsunami? We MUST do better! Let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone. We, as a community of anglers, aren’t very well organized and we certainly aren't well funded. To compare how the other harvesters organize take a look at the BC Seafood Alliance. I simply want to step up and do something proactive and powerful for all our benefit. We need action right now! If DFO closes a fishery or makes a dramatic management decision, we ALL stand up a scream out in anger. Sadly, reacting when the fishery is closed is actually too late. For many years I have sat reading angler rants on my computer but have seen little discernible action to create meaningful change. As Albert Einstein quipped “… the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results”. How true!

Our official launch on Nov 27[SUP]th[/SUP] showed the attendees that SVIAC is a pure angling lobby group. No fluffy stuff, no multi-sport mandate and no being beholden to government. It’s a fresh exciting concept that we believe will inspire the angling community to rally around us for the greater good. We WILL organize the angling community of South VI and press government hard for positive change. In addition, make the public and politicians understand we are important as a community and will not accept the treatment we have been getting from our government’s fisheries managers. We will work to bring ALL the fishing groups together on SVI to speak with one cohesive powerful voice and show politicians just how many people we truly represent, our social and lifestyle value and the economic importance we provide.

We do however need a large membership to be relevant and massive war chest to meet our objectives, going to the same old angler well of coins is not the answer. So effective marketing and fundraising looms as vital and must be addressed differently and in dynamic ways. To put a lobbyist in Ottawa full-time is expensive; to challenge government in court is very expensive. We must get out in front of this now before it is too late. An anglers coalition focused like a laser on the real important SVI issues with a proactive, well-organized, well-funded plan that is pursued relentlessly will see positive change. You’ll see.

As founding members and the Board of Directors we can all feel there is trouble ahead, we can feel it in our bones. To a man, our inaugural Board of Directors cares deeply about there being abundant healthy fish so our fisheries can thrive. They want to do this not for personal greed, no, just so their kids have a chance to share what we have been blessed with years ago. Today this anglers coalition just makes sense down here. My $40.00 is paid and I willingly offer to do anything in my power to change the situation for the better of us all. I hope you can be counted on too? We ALL need to come together as one united angling community on South Vancouver Island for the greater good of ALL of us. We won't get too many chances at this.

Bring it on!

Tight lines

Gov

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why Dr. David Suzuki stepped away from his group so he could be a critic.
The BCWF has a separate group that is their political arm.

Really? So the Gov't controls any charitable organization that provides tax recepts for donations. That's a new quantum leap. OMG

They receive funding for some of their projects, for instance here look at the bottom of the page where the sponsors are: http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=190

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is not good or they are not doing a great job in what they do but I believe an effective lobby group needs to be financially independent from the target of the effort.

I understand that, just cautioning that to my knowledge (I'm not on the BCWF exec - just support them donating charters; nothing more, not even a member) they are not funded by the Canadian Government. I think what you are seeing on their site is some formal recognition of the habitat project money that has been co-sponsored by Government and others. That is no different than when I was a Director with the SSBC and started habitat work on the Squamish River where we applied for and secured funding from Government and private sources to co-fund habitat projects. We and others simply went out there to build habitat for fish. None of that ever stopped us from doing any form of lobbying as we were independently fundraising to support that. So no conflict of interest as appears to be your suggestion.

I would just say that there is no apparent conflict of interest in the ability for the BCWF or the SFI to be independent, uninfluenced by gov't in their lobby efforts and leave it at that. Its just better that we find ways to work together, which appears to be what Chris is implying in his most recent post. I'm glad for that as there is way more power in working together....bring that on all day long.

Searun: Good points you raised here and like you I, too, am thankful and respectful of the good work that the BCWF and the SFI have done for the angling community in BC for many years.

But as 'the Bos' pointed out, the Anglers Coalition is not designed to compete with any entity out there; rather, this fledgling group of anglers-serving-anglers is tuned moreso to go where other groups have not gone on our behalf (if this makes any sense). Our mandate is to see more fish in the water for todays and tomorrows anglers. This will benifit not only the angling community, but also everyone & everthing else that depends on fish. There are a myriad of issues that need to be addressed; there is much work to do.

As has also been pointed out, the SFI caters moreso to the guide-outfitter/lodge and tackle outfit, while the BCWF has it's mandate halved between the hunting and fishing community. I'm not trying to diminish the vital contribution both these organizations have made to the BC outdoors community. I'm simply trying to underscore the need for something better - a faster pussycat - to more fully represent the needs of the recreational fishing community here in BC in the face of the worst onslaught of government fisheries & habitat management-ineptitudes I have witnessed in my substantial lifetime.

If I've failed to adequately convince you of the need for a new Anglers Coalition, I would ask you these two questions:

1) - if existing groups and organizations are doing such a great job, why are our South Island (and other regions) fisheries circling-the-drain while the Harper government runs roughshod over our habitat and litterally re-writes the Law to accomodate industry?

2) - on the existing course, do you honestly believe your children and grandchildren will enjoy the same fishing opportunities that you and I have been blessed with in our lives?

There are tens of thousands of us here on the South Island, there are hundreds of thousands of us in the Province; organized, government shall tremble beneath our weight.

Join the Anglers Coalition!

I like the idea of putting a full time lobbyist in ottawa to help combat all the crap our politicians hear from the other 100's of lobbyists looking out for corporate interests at the expense of our environment and our actual long term needs. It would still be a very big hill to climb to actually start influencing policy but a step in the right direction. I've added SVIAC on facebook and will be following the progress. Would be interested in getting involved in something similar on the mainland.

Reply to Jencourt's earlier post ...

Hello Ray,

You ask a very good and important question. Here is my response …

You wrote … “Has the SFI not taken a more political route and at times teamed up with BCWF to do some lobbying for sport fishing?” - Answer – Yes but in truth, the BCWF has a strong shooting and hunting club here in Victoria but has not been tremendously active in lobbying the federal government on important local tidal fisheries issues. And for some reason, the SFI does have a presence here with several BoD members but as I see it doesn't have much support of the local guide and charter guys. This is an example of where SVIAC could and will bring everyone together more effectively, by helping SFI and the BCWF build their bases in this local patch.

You also wrote … “Dose the south Island group feel they need more attention directed at their unique issues surrounding their fishery?” - answer yes, big time!

And you wrote … “Other than being geographically Specific (for now) How dose this group differ from the SFI? Answer read below ...

This past summer when SVIAC was being formed, we, the founding members and the board of directors, discussed that question in great depth, concluding our chosen path of organizing a new society was the still best for everyone. One very important aspect of our founding principles as a society is to build strong powerful alliances with all like-minded angling groups and other NGOs with similar objectives. We most definitely have no intent to start a turf war. Far far from it. It is in all our best interests for anglers from all works of life to stand shoulder to shoulder.

South Vancouver Island is blessed with approximately 14 angling associations or groups … maybe more. Mostly local but a few provincial in scope. Most have been around for decades. Those groups all provide a service to their membership and do a good job in what they do and we, at SVIAC, support that completely. Thousands of dollars a year goes into salmon enhancement, thousands of hours a year goes into stream keeper and hatchery volunteering, plus many of those clubs offer important social and educational angling programs. The provincial angling groups face a myriad of fish, habitat and fisheries issues, (and yet many more if they represent hunters too), all with limited resources and thinly stretched volunteers, yet they all do as best they can which is truly remarkable. It deserves all our praise!

That having been said, here on Southern VI, we are facing massive challenges to our fisheries and the abundance and health of the fish our fisheries require; these are issues that are simply not being addressed effectively, if at all by anyone. Fraser stream-type Chinook recovery, politics skewing fisheries management, no socio-economic study of angling on SVI, unreliable indefensible Area 19 and 20 creel data, insufficient Chinook hatchery enhancement and net-penning, insufficient Chinook for Orca food to meet the SARA recovery plan are all huge issues for us down here. Pretty tragic and telling when the high point of our fishery is catching the Chinook provided by USA.

What is actually being done by any group to stop this disaster from running over us like a tsunami? We MUST do better! Let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone. We, as a community of anglers, aren’t very well organized and we certainly aren't well funded. To compare how the other harvesters organize take a look at the BC Seafood Alliance. I simply want to step up and do something proactive and powerful for all our benefit. We need action right now! If DFO closes a fishery or makes a dramatic management decision, we ALL stand up a scream out in anger. Sadly, reacting when the fishery is closed is actually too late. For many years I have sat reading angler rants on my computer but have seen little discernible action to create meaningful change. As Albert Einstein quipped “… the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results”. How true!

Our official launch on Nov 27[SUP]th[/SUP] showed the attendees that SVIAC is a pure angling lobby group. No fluffy stuff, no multi-sport mandate and no being beholden to government. It’s a fresh exciting concept that we believe will inspire the angling community to rally around us for the greater good. We WILL organize the angling community of South VI and press government hard for positive change. In addition, make the public and politicians understand we are important as a community and will not accept the treatment we have been getting from our government’s fisheries managers. We will work to bring ALL the fishing groups together on SVI to speak with one cohesive powerful voice and show politicians just how many people we truly represent, our social and lifestyle value and the economic importance we provide.

We do however need a large membership to be relevant and massive war chest to meet our objectives, going to the same old angler well of coins is not the answer. So effective marketing and fundraising looms as vital and must be addressed differently and in dynamic ways. To put a lobbyist in Ottawa full-time is expensive; to challenge government in court is very expensive. We must get out in front of this now before it is too late. An anglers coalition focused like a laser on the real important SVI issues with a proactive, well-organized, well-funded plan that is pursued relentlessly will see positive change. You’ll see.

As founding members and the Board of Directors we can all feel there is trouble ahead, we can feel it in our bones. To a man, our inaugural Board of Directors cares deeply about there being abundant healthy fish so our fisheries can thrive. They want to do this not for personal greed, no, just so their kids have a chance to share what we have been blessed with years ago. Today this anglers coalition just makes sense down here. My $40.00 is paid and I willingly offer to do anything in my power to change the situation for the better of us all. I hope you can be counted on too? We ALL need to come together as one united angling community on South Vancouver Island for the greater good of ALL of us. We won't get too many chances at this.

Bring it on!

Tight lines

Gov

Thanks for getting back to me.

Cheers: Ray

Totally agree Little Hawk that there is plenty of room for all to work together here. Also agree we would be well served by a full time paid lobbyist in Ottawa. Brilliant objective!!! All the more reason to have all join forces to jointly fund such a venture. I have serious doubts that any one group can on their own come up with stable financial backing to do that. As rec anglers our weakness has always been division. Those who wish us harm continue to look for ways to create infighting between different groups. They would sit up and take notice if we could somehow all come together and take action as one.

Back