Need Help Finding a Place To Stay Next Summer!

Rain City

Crew Member
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a privately rented cabin or a house or motel or resort, ANYTHING! We tried really hard to find a place this summer for mine and my twin brothers families. Nothing really seemed to work for us, or was WAAAAAY to expensive. We are 4 adults and 4 kids under 6. We'd need three bedrooms and a pullout or 4 bedrooms would be even better. Our biggest ask is something on the water. Ideally something with a beach within short walking distance. Somewhere to beachcomb for the kids and experience what the coast is all about. We've done the cokeanagan thing for years and just aren't into it anymore. I'd be a happy man if I never have to have a beautiful morning looking out to the water ruined by some butthat in a surf/wake boat blasting terrible music. I want forrest and rocks and waves (real ones). My own family explored the gulf islands for the years we had the big boat and we absolutely fell in love with it. Now that we sold the boat, I want to find that again and let my kids enjoy it with their cousins. Ideally for many years to come, where they can look forward to returning to the same place every summer. As much as I'd appreciate posted links to air bnbs, PMs with private places would be much better. I'd be happy with anything anywhere from Tofino to Princess Louisa and all the way up to Quadra. Would definitely need to be accessible by car. We're brand new to exploring the coast, so we don't have many friends and definitely no family with places outside of the city. And we aren't yacht club members with access to 10 million dollar homes on Gambier.

So I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer! Thanks all.

Jon

Pender harbor resort has larger cabins, great setting and a pool. Plus the local lakes aren't far away and if you have a boat by then they offer transient moorage. Kids can cliff jump right out front, it's a great place.

Salmon pointe resort stayed for two weeks years ago they had several park model trailers in a row for rent it was awesome !
Pool, hot tub, clubhouse for games and functions, boat launch and marina, restaurant next door beaches
Probably not as private as you want but checks alot of boxes

Port Browning marina rents trailers/glamping tents & camping spots. Public boat launch next door. A bit pricey for what you get, but nice spot. We're on Pender most of the summer (as work permits). Have family right on the bay. The kids love cruising the beach for sea glass, and it's easy access for a trailer boat to some good crabbing/prawning & fishing areas.

2nd vote for Pender Harbour resort. Close to everything and far enough from the yahoos. Kids would enjoy a sunny day on the lakes and you can take them out on evening to grab an ice cream from the local shops.
If you have a trailerable boat by then and want to commit to a longer drive, you can also consider Ucluelet. The town has everything for young families and you’ll be only 20 mins drive from a sandy beach on Kennedy lake (see the pic) or just go to the Small Beach park for a day of picnic. Good airbnb places book up really fast for late July and August and you may want to book it before Xmas.
One last thing about ferry reservations- do your reservation as soon as they open up online. I usually do it for all of our planned trips before the Easter long weekend. Had to travel to Victoria for an emergency meeting a couple weeks ago and had to wait 3 sailings on a Tuesday - and no, flying wasn’t an option. 😂

Let me give you an alternative angle to one of the nicest beaches in the province; Silver Beach in Seymour.

Its a neat little town, has a pub and store in summer and the lake has trophy rainbows that never ceased to impress me.

or rent a houseboat and motor around.

The Shuswap is an all around great spot.

Let me give you an alternative angle to one of the nicest beaches in the province; Silver Beach in Seymour.

Its a neat little town, has a pub and store in summer and the lake has trophy rainbows that never ceased to impress me.

or rent a houseboat and motor around.

The Shuswap is an all around great spot.
I LOVE the Shuswap. My dad had a fifth wheel below the tracks in Canoe. I think we've all decided though that with all of the recent fires, we just don't want to risk it anymore.

Another Powell River option:

These cottages are right on the beach and I took my kids here when they were young. I also stayed in a suite for work a few years ago.
There are also many lakes within a short drive up the logging roads.

I’d recommend somewhere in Powell, probably best price point and an endless amount of lakes trails and swimming spots. The fishing on the ocean is pretty much always good and I think we have some of the world’s biggest cutthroat trout in our lakes.Try lining it up with blackberry fest,logger sports or texada sandcastle competition.

Best of luck!

Have you considered a little further north? Sointula has a few rentals large enough to suit. This one has 2 units that accommodate 5 and 6 for $275 each per night. Oceanfront. 2 minute drive to the marina in one direction and 2 minutes the other way to the store. https://orcalodge.ca/

Also this one a bit back from the water - https://www.bereroad.com/house-rates - $300/night. Others: https://www.sointulainfo.ca/island-directory/

My family [and a brother's] rented a similar place for many years and day-fished, checked out the beaches and hikes, shrimped off the wharf.

Last edited:
Back