Nanaimo Newbie

essyoo

Looking for some gear advice for a complete beginner to the saltwater fishing scene. I've read through the last few years of area reports and as many old threads as I could find. I have a pretty good head start on how to rig it all up and a tiny bit of understanding on the local spots, but would love some advice on what your confidence, good-for-most-situations choices are for around here.

What are your go-to flashers, spoons, and hoochies for the nanaimo area for chinook and coho? I know the tackle junkie in me will eventually build up a collection, but we're starting from scratch and the selection is a little overwhelming at this point. Follow up questions would be: how do you decide what to pair together? Does tide, time of year, time of day dictate your choice much? Does the depth you're targeting influence the type of lure you put on?

Thanks!

It depends on so many things. Me personally. I use spoons and hoochies until summers time. Then I switch it up with spoons, hoochies but manly anchovies from July to October. My leader to my flasher is 30" or for hoochies. But longer for spoons and even longer for anchovies. I'll be out tomorrow and I'll probably start with a light green flasher one side and a black on the other.

Common gear out front Nanaimo includes green glow splatter back hoochies, irish cream, cookies and cream skinny G spoons and the usual anchovie set up. Go into harbour chandler and they can set you up.

Looking for some gear advice for a complete beginner to the saltwater fishing scene. I've read through the last few years of area reports and as many old threads as I could find. I have a pretty good head start on how to rig it all up and a tiny bit of understanding on the local spots, but would love some advice on what your confidence, good-for-most-situations choices are for around here.

What are your go-to flashers, spoons, and hoochies for the nanaimo area for chinook and coho? I know the tackle junkie in me will eventually build up a collection, but we're starting from scratch and the selection is a little overwhelming at this point. Follow up questions would be: how do you decide what to pair together? Does tide, time of year, time of day dictate your choice much? Does the depth you're targeting influence the type of lure you put on?

Thanks!
Remember that part of the fun is going out and learning what works for you. Everyone has their own favorite depth, speed, and go-to lure. They are all different. Some guys use hootchies that I wouldn't dream of using but if it works for them, then have at er.

but go buy anything that is herring aide and you should be good. And anchovies. And various teaser heads because although the teaser head is small and seems like it won't make much of a difference, they all make a difference.

Remember that part of the fun is going out and learning what works for you. Everyone has their own favorite depth, speed, and go-to lure. They are all different. Some guys use hootchies that I wouldn't dream of using but if it works for them, then have at er.

but go buy anything that is herring aide and you should be good. And anchovies. And various teaser heads because although the teaser head is small and seems like it won't make much of a difference, they all make a difference.

Oh for sure. I don't mind putting in the time to figure things out when I'm on my own. But in this case, I've got the wife and kids with me and if I don't shorten the curve a little and get them into some action they get harder to convince eventually ;)

These have been working great this spring/summer and last year. I only run these flashers and the spoons will switch around. I can’t seem to anything on hootchies. I usually fish around 140’ on the riggers cause I am lazy.

I don’t pay attention to tides or times as I have a family and usually just go fishing when I can.

The areas I fish are off Hudson Rock and the inside tack between pipers lagoon and neck point. Again I am lazy and don’t go far.

Attachments

• 73D72121-143F-4176-B650-40F845D37346.jpeg
    73D72121-143F-4176-B650-40F845D37346.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 90
Nanaimo is also a good area for Salmon jigging in the summer as well. I second head into harbor Chandlers. They will set you up.

Yeah, am definitely going to give jigging a try as well. Just read that whole "technical rigging" thread.

One other question I meant to ask, what action rods do most folks use for trolling? Medium or Medium Heavy?

Yeah, am definitely going to give jigging a try as well. Just read that whole "technical rigging" thread.

One other question I meant to ask, what action rods do most folks use for trolling? Medium or Medium Heavy?
Hard to beat a Technium MH 10ft6 rod. Best bang for your buck IMO and will last you a long time

Hey All, I'm also a Nanaimo newbie. Recently acquired a 25 foot Monaro moored at Boat Harbour. Just got riggers set up and am excited to get out. I'm hoping to fish with a few friends this weekend but it looks like it might be a bit lumpy with a NW wind especially on Sunday.

I know most folks fish Thrasher, Entrance but I imagine those are pretty exposed if things do blow up from the northwest. Anyone ever fish the channels south of Gabriola? Stuart, Plylades channel etc?

Hey All, I'm also a Nanaimo newbie. Recently acquired a 25 foot Monaro moored at Boat Harbour. Just got riggers set up and am excited to get out. I'm hoping to fish with a few friends this weekend but it looks like it might be a bit lumpy with a NW wind especially on Sunday.

I know most folks fish Thrasher, Entrance but I imagine those are pretty exposed if things do blow up from the northwest. Anyone ever fish the channels south of Gabriola? Stuart, Plylades channel etc?

Tent island can be a good winter spot down Stuart Channel. I'm not sure about the summer though. Looks like Tent is Chinook non-retention August 1st to October 15th.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-191512_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-191512_Drive.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 19

Pretty much all waters inside the gulf islands is either non retention, rca or fin fish closure. The exception is around Tent up until I believe august. From where your moored, Porlier pass and Thrasher are probably the closest spots. Can also fish in the small area in Northumberland on the other side of Dodds. That’s probably the most “sheltered” spot but there’s not really anywhere to hide from the Nw winds we get in the summer with high pressure ridges.

Back