Nanaimo Lakes

I'm going camping over the long weekend at Nanaimo lakes. Last year I fished First lake and as usual, never catch much. We just fish it as we are camped there. We tried Fourth lake and didn't have much more luck. Fished Panther lake and had lots of fish on but it's catch and release only and I would like to keep a few. Anyway.....
We are going to try Second lake. Any suggestions or locations that may help? Also, I want to get to Echo lake but the back road seemed overgrown and couldn't get there last year. Has anyone been up there this year? Is it still accessable? Thanks.

only one word for second lake, sand bar, and i would stick to panther but remember its not only C&R its also flyfishing only,you have to go in the back road now to get up to those lakes

quote:Originally posted by fishman69er

only one word for second lake, sand bar, and i would stick to panther but remember its not only C&R its also flyfishing only,you have to go in the back road now to get up to those lakes
Is that the sand bar on the other side of the lake or where the river comes in.Its been quite a while since ive been up there.

Back from the long wet weekend out at Nanaimo lakes. We fished second lake with no success. Four guys and no fish. Second day we took the canoes up to Echo lake. The front road was open and not too bad. Caught 4 keepers and with 5 or 6 smaller ones released between 5 guys. Not great but better than second lake.

The only good fishing lakes seem to be lakes without boat access, which is fine by me, I like to fish from the canoe, but where do I take my 70 year old dad who wants to come up next weekend for some lake fishing?

And a warning about First Lake campgrounds....on Sunday night a large group of nanaimo and area teens showed up at windy point campground. Around 25 yahoo's in 3 sites. They trashed the sites, left garbage everywhere, stole several coolers from other sites (a couple found chopped up with a axe stolen from another site, busted lawn chairs etc. It was a pathetic. There was even a big zip lock bag with 4 or 5 trout left lying in the dirt at the trashed campsite, probably found in one of the coolers the kids had stolen. I keep hearing roumers about the campground closing and it's not hard to see why. They have already banned ATV's in the area.

They all took off as soon as the gate openned and before the camphosts could see the mess. Fortunately the camphost took down most of thier license plate numbers the night before, and we took some pictures of the trashed site. We were fortunate not to have anything stolen.

Back