nanaimo fishin help

• Thread starter Thread starter fish junkie998
  • Start date Start date
F

fish junkie998

hey im new to this forum and im just wondering if any body kniws some good holes to jig lingcod\hali's in nanaimo. dont have any downriggers so all we do is jig usually. any info is appreciated.

fish junkie[8D]

haha hes a memeber..your able to jig where ever you can troll/do troll, just park yourself where people are fishing, drop your jigs down to bottom, rell them up 5 or 6 turns (if your fishing 2 rods try reeling one up 5 times, one 10 times, to vary the depth and see where the fish are if they are around (theres not the best salmon fishing on the east coat :P) Where to jig i dont no im from, duncan so dont fish up there.. right now theres also a closure on slamon fishing, im not sure where the boundaries end up their so youll need to check that

lol uhh i dont fish nanaimo much mostly north and my spots havent been that consistent even. If i were you i would look for an uneven bottom near a drop off that ranges from 40-80 feet and focus there. Good old buzz bombs are always a good bet i like size 4-5 white. Macdeeps and other jigs alway produce fish as well. Live herring would be nice for big lings but its hard to get here. This year ive actually been catchin more lings when i find bait balls on the bottom. If not hooking up much just keep moving and trying new locations and methods. Remember rockfish/lingcod are slow growing so you want an area that is not heavily fished if your looking for bigger fish. I sometimes look at charts and try to find places i know arent fished before i even head out. Good luck

lol uhh i dont fish nanaimo much mostly north and my spots havent been that consistent even. If i were you i would look for an uneven bottom near a drop off that ranges from 40-80 feet and focus there. Good old buzz bombs are always a good bet i like size 4-5 white. Macdeeps and other jigs alway produce fish as well. Live herring would be nice for big lings but its hard to get here. This year ive actually been catchin more lings when i find bait balls on the bottom. If not hooking up much just keep moving and trying new locations and methods. Remember rockfish/lingcod are slow growing so you want an area that is not heavily fished if your looking for bigger fish. I sometimes look at charts and try to find places i know arent fished before i even head out. Good luck

ty for the help im gonna try some herring off gabriola isl. then maybe snake island as well. I also usually use buzzbombs, my step dad had a 30= plus on just off snake isl last time we went out usin holographick buzz bombs.

fish junkie

Hi if your going to try snake do the south side as close to shore as you can in 35 to 65 ft water, herring has always do me very well there. the bigger the herring the bigger the ling, jigs work well too -- good luck -- clay

ty for the tips. Any info on maybe some halis( probly unlikely) and maybe wat jigs to use.ty.

fish junkie

try the clifs of gabriola iv fished there with a mackdeep and got nice 12-15 pound lingcode[8D]

i went there last time and couldnt get to bottom with a buzz bomb it kept on rising to surface in like 5 mins. I heard someone knew were to catch halis near nanaimo any info would be great!:D

fish junkie

im not sure were polier pass is? Any directions would be great:D

fish junkie

Anybody were io can get live herring in nanaimo and any more places to use em for lings??

fish junkie

im pretty sure you have to jig them your self, im not aware of anyplace that sells them..if thats the case dont bother lings will eat anything! u can buy some dead herring and stick a hook through them and put a weight a couple feet up the line and drope them down and just let them sit there so a bit, maybe move the rod around and it will work great

m goin out today just gonna jig diamonds and buzz bombs of snake isl.
hope i get somethin big!

fish junkie

Hey Junkie,

I was just on a tug at Duke Point, it's pretty freakin windy out there, and there ain't much lee offered by Snake.

I didnt go went up to the big q hatchery and theyve closed it up. Im goin to stamp 2morrow or snae not sure depends on wind.

fish junkie

i heard someone knew were to catch halibut near nanaimo??

fish junkie

Just a reminder. Lings are closed again in the areas you are speaking of.

Subject: FN0707-Recreational Fin Fish: Lingcod - Strait of Georgia - Areas 17 & 29 - Closure

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0707-Recreational Fin Fish: Lingcod - Strait of Georgia - Areas 17 & 29 - Closure

Effective 00:01 hours August 21, retention of lingcod is prohibited in Area 17
and Subarea 29-5. Proportioning the total allowable catch for lingcod within
the fishery management area is important for the long-term sustainability of
lingcod abundance. To date a disproportionately high level of catch has
originated from Area 17 and 29-5.

Variation Order No. 2006-392

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Gary Logan, 604-666-6810

Back