Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Awful quiet..... Everyone keeping their cards close for the derby? We will be out sat, sun likely start at the fingers and work down to thrasher.

Was out today for the first time of the year on a solo trip, fished about a mile off neck pt. Within 2 hours, I managed a 16lb and 12lb... lost a shaker at the side of the boat.
The trick was green flasher, white and black hootchie at 129ft for all three hits! Very happy with the first trip!

hope the pic worked...
the 16lb fish hit like a ton of bricks, couldnt believe how hard it hit and ran!

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 94
Nothing big for us. 10-20 lbers. Got some great whale footage late in the day. The 3 orcas that have been swimming around the area the last few weeks came and checked us out after we killed the engine. They got so close he actually bumped the camera lense while it was filming. Will post vids of fish/whales tomorrow.

Few pics from the derby weekend. Thanks to all the organizers. It was a great event and most seemed to leave happy. Congrats to the winner with a pig 33. Tough fishing today but pretty good yesterday.

About as close as you can get to a whale without jumpin on. These are stills taken out of a video that i will post later this week. Hopefully the editing program can remove the heavy red tinge to the water.

derby-1.png

derby2.png

The fish we bonked with the little coho that beat all of our springs in the draw.

derby3.png

Birds eye on a fight.

derby4.png

Nice pics Kelly you gotta drop by and show me how to do it! I managed to bonk a nice 15lber and a bunch of others came in from Gerald. Bushy limited in an hour with a couple 10 pounders and Mr. Lee landed a 20lb white and lost two more to what he calls "sea dogs". Are you around, might try the low tide this aft if I get all my chores done. MRWood check your pm. Almost forgot all fish were full of small herring probably about an inch or two. BRS

Nice pics Kelly.....I was supposed to be over there too. Unfortuantely had some things come up and couldn't make it but the boys sounded as though they did fairly well. One of the guys won the "rockfish" with a 10lb yelloweye!

Hey Kelly....was that "overhead" shot taken by hand or do you have some sort of a mount for the camera and keep it running?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey greg im back in van but will be in town this weekend ill try to swing by. Let me know how it goes. Heard geralds been hot and a buddy got a 32 at winchelsea.

Pippen i mounted the cam on an extendable pole and have been goofing around with angles. I like that birds eye view. Im going to take the top down next time and film from above on the bow.

Had a good time at the derby this weekend. Had a really nice fish on Saturday morning at the fingers, but lost it to a seal that flinged the fish up into the air. Later on at the grande we managed to boat a 21 pounder. Sunday didnt go as good. Launched the boat in the morning, and it wouldnt start, so we couldnt make it out fishing or to Silva Bay for the awards. Found out that our fish got 6th place. Was their any prizes awarded to a 6th place fish, and did you have to be there to claim prizes?

Pippen i mounted the cam on an extendable pole and have been goofing around with angles. I like that birds eye view. Im going to take the top down next time and film from above on the bow.

I like the view too!

I have one of these http://joby.com/gorillapod that I was thinking I could wrap around something up high on the boat for the same view. My new Canon doesn't have a remote for shooting pictures but I am thinking if there was a fish on I could just turn on the video, clamp it on somewhere and just pull stills out of the video footage.

Lucky ling you didnt miss a ton on sunday as the fishing for some reason turned right off. There was prizes for everyone but i think you had to be there to claim them. They had some great stuff. We lucked out and got the GPS combo for our coho.

Pippen thats what im looking to buy next. I have started making a bunch of mounts but so far the 8 ft extendable pole mount has produced the best shots. If the murky water would go away we could get some better underwater shots. Here is the whale clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGfYv96gdQ

Was the whale hopping for a belly rub...very soothing vid of a close encounter with killer the whale...by the way why did the water look like a cup of tea?...sweet sammy

Fished down towards the Grande this morning... Lost a beauty... Speckle back hootchie.. about 170ft... Felt like a derby winner as it unloaded the spool..lol... Saw another guy boat a nice one by the Grande... but it looked a little quiet... Might try the fingers if the weather hold on Thursday...
The water is still colored up down that way.. Anchovie didnt get a touch...

Fished down towards the Grande this morning... Lost a beauty... Speckle back hootchie.. about 170ft... Felt like a derby winner as it unloaded the spool..lol... Saw another guy boat a nice one by the Grande... but it looked a little quiet... Might try the fingers if the weather hold on Thursday...
The water is still colored up down that way.. Anchovie didnt get a touch...

Same thing happened to me Sunday in the same area. On a hootchie as well.
Dave

started at thrasher picked up on keeper @730 110 spackleback. fished grande till 1:00 picked up a couple and got sealed on a good one. was right behind u peterman.

Back