MR2 vs MR3

The comment about the drag sensitivity shouldn't be understated - I also found that the MR3's drag wasn't even close to as smooth as the MR2's in terms of consistent smooth payout while playing a fish or dropping down on rigger. For me MR2 hands down. I sold my 2 MR3's last year. Freespool is a bonus as well if you like to jig for lings with salmon gear. Cheers
I don't understand it. I have to respectfully disagree. Why make a full turn or two to adjust the drag when a quarter turn will do?

I don't understand it. I have to respectfully disagree. Why make a full turn or two to adjust the drag when a quarter turn will do?
Well now I have to disagree, I own 4 MR2's (my two spares are for sale because I'm finding I don't need spares) and I can guarantee you don't have to turn the drag knob anywhere near 1 or 2 turns to make minor adjustments . I rarely touch mine at all.

Stizzla, I have an MR3, MR2 and an Able that I won in a derby. The Able will maintain a consistent drag for the longest time without some lube on the cork. As stated above I agree that the MR3 also gets messed up easily in heavy downpours by water intrusion into the cork. I've had to pull it apart while fishing to dry off the inside, doesn't happen with the 2.

Well now I have to disagree, I own 4 MR2's (my two spares are for sale because I'm finding I don't need spares) and I can guarantee you don't have to turn the drag knob anywhere near 1 or 2 turns to make minor adjustments . I rarely touch mine at all.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant about the drag sensitivity? Sounded like you meant the MR3 was too sensitive. Anyhoo I've had both and the little finger tickle job you've gotta give to MR2 to find that drag knob is frustrating to me. There's a reason they changed it and a reason they stuck to it in the TR3.

As far as the TMX goes it's the sound alone that makes me want to chuck my buddies overboard. Clackity clackity clack. The drag also opens up all the way too fast for my liking but maybe that's just because I only fish them once in a while.

And last yes @Stizzla it was a late one lol. Up all night drinking wine trying to settle on a good fried chicken name!

I was given an MR3 prototype by Islander when they were first in development to try and give them feedback. I think there were 6 of them out there for a period of time before they went into production. The drag issue was the only negative I had at the time. I don't think I used it in heavy rain at the time so I had no feedback for them on the wet conditions drag issue. When you adjust the MR2 drag knob a little bit, the drag increases or decreases slightly...turn it more and it increases a bit more....that is how it should work. The MR3 you turn the knob a bit and it stays the same, give it a bit more and it can now be to tight or to loose. I find I have to use it on the looser side because it is harder to find the just right tighter setting. Customers also are more prone to hitting the drag knob on the 3 while playing fish and again a slight change will result in a big change in tension.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant about the drag sensitivity? Sounded like you meant the MR3 was too sensitive. Anyhoo I've had both and the little finger tickle job you've gotta give to MR2 to find that drag knob is frustrating to me. There's a reason they changed it and a reason they stuck to it in the TR3.

As far as the TMX goes it's the sound alone that makes me want to chuck my buddies overboard. Clackity clackity clack. The drag also opens up all the way too fast for my liking but maybe that's just because I only fish them once in a while.

And last yes @Stizzla it was a late one lol. Up all night drinking wine trying to settle on a good fried chicken name!
What’s the name?!

What’s the name?!
I don't think there's many guys that would appreciate it on here but after many versions of Jonny Ps, Little Jon's, East Side, Uncle Jon's, Pollo Pulice and several bottles of wine were ended up at CRUNK Chicken. Lol.

I don't think there's many guys that would appreciate it on here but after many versions of Jonny Ps, Little Jon's, East Side, Uncle Jon's, Pollo Pulice and several bottles of wine were ended up at CRUNK Chicken. Lol.
WHHHAAT?! YEEEAAAYYAA!!! OKAAAAYYY!!!
Little John’s lol

Are you referring to the MR3 prototypeor the TR3 prototype?

If it is the MR3 prototype, that was a long time ago and quite a a lot of reels later. I have never had issues with water on my solid back MR3 reels. I did dunk them into the ocean when I was testing against the amundson tmx4 cork drag knock off reel. It too was dunked into the ocean. The drag adjustments were smoother on the Islander with better range, but the amundson was still very acceptable. The Islander got jumpy and the amundson locked up and could not turn. I took bother reels apart only to discover that the factory had used grease on the amundson cork rather than spec oil. Cleaned both reels up, re-lubed and back into the water. They both were working fine, however the Islander was still sightly nicer to operate and battle fish with. I would make the comparison an AC Cobra and a VW, they will both get you there.

MR2 to MR3, they are two totally different animals. This really does come down to flavors again for the most part. However the MR2 has a much smaller drag disk than the MR3, therefor would be much less grabby when wet. The MR2 has a free spool option which is awesome for mooching and some like it for quick drops on the down rigger, and the odd angler jigs. The MR3 is primarily used on a down rigger and has no free spool. The MR2 has a smaller drag knob than the MR3. The MR2 was primarily developed for mooching, hence the mass line capacity and the reel reason most anglers use backing. Backing is not a requirement on the MR2, MR2-LA, MR3, TR3 reels. The MR2 and MR2-LA reel is right hand retrieve only, while the MR3 and TR3 are left or right changeable. Again all flavors.

I mentioned the MR2-LA. It was introduced as a away to offer a mix of both worlds, adding a nicer, easier to manipulate drag knob, large arbor spool design and still in a nice compact frame the same overall size as it's predecessor with slightly less overall line capacity. Mostly because there are far less anglers running 15 to 20 pound line classes.

Lastly at work we sell way more MR3 and TR3 reels than we do MR2 and MR2-LA reels to the general angling public. Islander to Amundson is pretty even on the overall sales. Its all flavors, it comes down to your preference and the way that you personally fish and what your own personal budget restraints are. When it comes to fishing, I don't have budget boundaries. I buy what I want. I may have to wait to get it, but I will buy it if I decide to. Just flavors... :)
I still don't understand the argument that one would need to free spool to get gear down quick. I drop FAST but with a nice rod bend the whole time. That way as soon as I'm down I tighten up the drag (1/2 turn maybe?) about 10 feet from my goal depth and boom it's locked and loaded. No reeling in to take up slack after. I also don't need to palm my reels when a fish runs. I'm thinking that either A. Guys don't know how to properly utilize their drag or B. Guys don't know how to maintain their gear.

But ultimately yes you're right, to each their own.

MR 2 all the way. No messing with drag knob only when there's a fish on.. Use the free spool all day long. When Mooching that free spool is a must but moving to some levelwinds for quicker up and down. MR3's are a great reel but i don't like the drag knob as others have mentioned. I own a tmx-5 but haven't tried it yet. I also like to fish the legendary Hardy Longstone as there is no sound like it.

Are you referring to the MR3 prototype or the TR3 prototype?

If it is the MR3 prototype, that was a long time ago and quite a lot of reels later. I have never had issues with water on my solid back MR3 reels. I did dunk them into the ocean when I was testing against the amundson tmx4 cork drag knock off reel. It too was dunked into the ocean. The drag adjustments were smoother on the Islander with better range, but the amundson was still very acceptable. The Islander got jumpy and the amundson locked up and could not turn. I took both reels apart only to discover that the factory had used grease on the amundson cork rather than spec oil. Cleaned both reels up, re-lubed both cork drags with oil and back into the water. They both were working fine, however the Islander was still sightly nicer to operate and battle fish with. I would make the comparison of an AC Cobra Vs. a VW, they will both get you there. :)

MR2 to MR3, they are two totally different animals. This really does come down to flavors again for the most part. However the MR2 has a much smaller drag disk than the MR3, therefor would be much less grabby when wet. The MR2 has a free spool option which is awesome for mooching and some like it for quick drops on the down rigger, and the odd angler jigs. The MR3 is primarily used on a down rigger and has no free spool. The MR2 has a smaller drag knob than the MR3. The MR2 was primarily developed for mooching, hence the mass line capacity and the reel reason most anglers use backing. Backing is not a requirement on the MR2, MR2-LA, MR3, TR3 reels. The MR2 and MR2-LA reel is right hand retrieve only, while the MR3 and TR3 are left or right changeable. Again all flavors.

I mentioned the MR2-LA. It was introduced as a away to offer a mix of both worlds, adding a nicer, easier to manipulate drag knob, large arbor spool design and still in a nice compact frame the same overall size as it's predecessor with slightly less overall line capacity. Mostly because there are far less anglers running 15 to 20 pound line classes.

Lastly at work we sell way more MR3 and TR3 reels than we do MR2 and MR2-LA reels to the general angling public. Islander to Amundson is pretty even on the overall sales. Its all flavors, it comes down to your preference and the way that you personally fish and what your own personal budget restraints are. When it comes to fishing, I don't have budget boundaries. I buy what I want. I may have to wait to get it, but I will buy it if I decide to. Just flavors... :)
Great example S.T.!
I agree that MR2’s, MR3’s, Amundson TMX-5’s and the trophy XL reels are all good reels that can get fish to the boat.
The finish on the islanders are so nice. And that’s why they cost double.
The tmx5 are a little clunky but they are sturdy and they get props for breaking out of the cork drags and the carbon has some big advantages. I am guessing that is what forced islander to up their drag game on the TR3.
I also ageee with @Rain City that you can get a line down plenty fast without the freespool. It’s not good to go down super fast anyways as that causes most lure/flasher tangles, as well as birds nests.

Has nothing to do with getting the gear down faster, has to do with getting the gear out behind the boat and clipped in a lot faster. U can throw a flasher and spoon 30 feet off the back off the boat like a center pin, clip it in and drop. No stripping line off the real. When the bites on every second counts! Waiting for Abel to add a free spool to there new and improved mooching reel..:)

I still don't understand the argument that one would need to free spool to get gear down quick. I drop FAST but with a nice rod bend the whole time. That way as soon as I'm down I tighten up the drag (1/2 turn maybe?) about 10 feet from my goal depth and boom it's locked and loaded. No reeling in to take up slack after. I also don't need to palm my reels when a fish runs. I'm thinking that either A. Guys don't know how to properly utilize their drag or B. Guys don't know how to maintain their gear.

But ultimately yes you're right, to each their own.
The free spool is used to cast the gear out into the window of clean surface water. Many times guests try to help by letting the gear out behind the boat and I just have to reel it back in to take the eel grass off, test the hook sharpness or fix the tangled spoon. Once the gear is below the surface going down it is safe from debris and the drag is engaged. Less playing with the drag just flipping the lever to engage it or release. I have to fish in all weather and sometimes it is salt water flying over the boat while trolling. I use the reel covers in attempt to shield the reels as much as possible but they go missing often. I am also very big on maintenance but don't like rinsing and rebuilding my reels every time the get a splash. Most of the people I fish with do like to palm the reel a bit. It's an old habit that kind of feels good on the fingers! I try to set the drag fairly loose so they can enjoy the feeling. It also makes them have to think a little. Otherwise might as well go back to levelwinds.
Like you say. each to their own.

Obviously Rollie is one of the most experienced anglers on here and if he says he does something a certain way Im sure hes got good reason for it. If freespool is what works best for somebody to get their gear down, then they should use it.

I dont personally like the freespool option for a few reasons:
-Inevitably at least a few guests per season accidentally hit the latch while fighting a fish and the ensuing run from the fish almost always causes a huge birdsnest.
-I like to keep tension on the gear while dropping it to avoid slack line which can lead to tangles.
-Some argue that the reason they use freespool is to get the gear down quicker. Quicker isnt necessarily better, and in the case of an angler running bait, is actually much much MUCH worse. Dropping artificials quickly means less time for fish higher up in the column to see your lure as it descends.
-its just another moving part that needs servicing and adds another point of failure.

One viable use for freespool Ive seen is after you rig up a fresh herring, you can cast it behind the boat 10 or 20 feet and then snap it into the release clip quickly. Realistically it only saves a few seconds but that might be a factor when the bite is on!

Fishmyster knows how to fish and how to fish efficiently. He had seven to our two once during a short bite. Well, probably more than once, but we only followed him once. Nice to see the pros posting tips.

Last edited:
Back