MR2 vs MR3

Capt_Ed

Crew Member
What's everyone's opinion. Personally I like MR2's ability to free spool with the flip of the switch . While I troll alot, I like jig fishing and mooching and find free spooling easier with the switch rather than loosening the drag knob. Let's hear everyone's thoughts

What's everyone's opinion. Personally I like MR2's ability to free spool with the flip of the switch . While I troll alot, I like jig fishing and mooching and find free spooling easier with the switch rather than loosening the drag knob. Let's hear everyone's thoughts
I can't stand the size and feel of the drag knob on the mr2. I have level winds with heavier braid for jigging.

I have one of each. First I got a MR3 then MR2 for exactly what you said. I don't have a huge boat so messing around with to many set ups was a pain I like to just stop and drop the rod without pulling out another rod with the free spool. To make the MR2 retrieve quicker you can put m ore backing on. Sold my boat so thinking about selling both.

I moved from old Peetz to the next great level in mooching Daiwa 275 metal and then to Hardy Long Stone, ABU 7000 baitcasts, then back to mooching when I bought MR2's. Then MR3's when they were born and now gravitating more and more into TR3. I have also had countless other reels that I have tested and that have never really stuck with me like Islander has over the years. I am both a jigger and a troller. I hold gear specific to those actions. I use single actions for both trolling and jigging while salmon fishing. My MR3's and TR3 for trolling and my BER float reel for jigging. I like the quick pick up when in the heat of battle, zero creep and line capacity depending on line class range. Drag knobs and handles, and handle spacing is optimal. I can't say that I don't like the MR2, I just don't angle the same way that I used to, or at least not enough to own MR2 reels again. My reels cover everything that I enjoy doing. I troll all depths now, so a good strong drag is important to me, not so much at the surface down to 100 feet, but down to 280-300 is key for me. The MR3 and for sure the new TR3 do this for me, as does my BER. The BER has a 25lb drag and can be used dragless as well. It truly just comes down to what really works well for you. These reels are what works well for me... :)

How would you compare the TR3 to MR3?

Haven’t heard any TR3 reviews...likely due to the sticker price.

How would you compare the TR3 to MR3?

Haven’t heard any TR3 reviews...likely due to the sticker price.
I like the drag a lot better on the TR3's compared to the MR3s. Maybe just because the TR3s are newer and the MR3s need some maintenance, but I think it is way better.

Never used an MR2 so can't comment on the spool size, but have used the MR2LA (large arbour) and didn't notice any difference compared to MR3. I never use the free spool.

I have one of each. First I got a MR3 then MR2 for exactly what you said. I don't have a huge boat so messing around with to many set ups was a pain I like to just stop and drop the rod without pulling out another rod with the free spool. To make the MR2 retrieve quicker you can put m ore backing on. Sold my boat so thinking about selling both.
I’m in the market for an mr3 what cha got?

I have mr2's and HAD mr3's I got rid of them and replaced them with the MR2LA's and love the feel of them, not so bulky and a little more fun with big fish

So speaking to the original question. The Islander MR2 vrs MR3.

The only real advantage of the MR2 over the 3 is the lever to free spool it when letting out line to get your gear out fast, clipped to the rigger and down. When a short bite is on that is useful and you are not messing with the drag as you would with the MR3. The down side is that while you are ripping it out by hauling on the rod you have to be very careful to keep finger or thumb pressure on the spool or it will backlash and create a potential birds nest which defeats the purpose of getting gear down fast.

There are some who think the MR2 may be a little less susceptible to line creep than the MR3 but I have not noticed a lot of difference.

In every other respect I have found the MR3 superior.

For starters the MR3 can be converted to right or left hand use quickly and easily. The MR2 cannot and you have to buy a left hand or a right hand version.

The MR3 has a stronger spool and can be filled with mono without dacron backing although why would you want to. With the MR2 you must use compressible backing or you run the risk of the mono imploding/breaking the spool and destroying the reel.

Finally the MR3 has greater line capacity which is especially useful if you run higher test mono for trolling with flashers etc.

That said I do wish I had kept one of the MR2's when I replaced them with the MR3’s. If I was to get another one I would go with the newer type large arbor version, the MR2-LA.

Handles don’t really matter as you can get paddles on any of them if you want and lots of people convert them.

Last edited:
I have a MR2 & MR3 I will be spoiling up shortly. I was not aware of the specific needs of each for backing? I use 50# power pro as my main line. What would be the best backing for each? (Currently running Rapala Shift with 25yrds 50# mono backing and 50# power pro braid as main line)

Thanks for the advice... Glad I waited to load them up.

MR2 for me the drag is way more adjustable...I find the MR 3 drags are to sensitive...only a very slight turn f the drag knob goes from too tight to too loose. I keep the 2's full of line to increase the retieve ratio a bit.

MR2 for me the drag is way more adjustable...I find the MR 3 drags are to sensitive...only a very slight turn f the drag knob goes from too tight to too loose. I keep the 2's full of line to increase the retieve ratio a bit.
Are mr2’s the reels you use with guests?

Mr2 all the way for me. Free spool is a must for quick setting gear. The drag knob is less often fumbled by guests when reeling. It's a little too repressed so I just put a washer underneath to raise it. Having handles tighter together makes reeling easier because only your wrist has to move rather than your whole arm. Mr2's tighter handle spread are also less damaging to the poor people who don't, "let em run!" in time. If you include your backing the mr2 holds much more line...so just in case!! Biggest benefit of mr2 is the solid back keeps the water out so they require less maintenance. My reels get industrial use so practicality is what matters.

I dont care for the freespool option, and I think more line capacity and theoretically more pickup makes it a nobrainer between the MR2 and MR3. (MR3)

With that said I wouldnt buy either! I feel like the TMX5 by Amundsen is a better reel than the MR3 and its only half the price. If youre dead-set on an Islander, or you want the absolute best trolling reel no matter the cost (havent tried abels, not a huge fan of cork drags) then definitely spend the extra cash on a TR3. Its got a smooth sealed disk drag system, ported handles, MR3 line capacity, sounds great, and its very light weight! I fish MR2s and MR3s all summer at a lodge, and Ive got TMX5s and a TR3 for my boat, and I would say the TR3 is narrowly a better reel than the TMX5, if at all - and both are far superior to MR2/3s.

TR3s are on sale right now too, so you can pick one up for roughly the same as a guide discounted price.

I also prefer my tmx5 to my mr3, I fact I want another tmx5 and would use my islander as a spare or sell it

Mr2 all the way for me. Free spool is a must for quick setting gear. The drag knob is less often fumbled by guests when reeling. It's a little too repressed so I just put a washer underneath to raise it. Having handles tighter together makes reeling easier because only your wrist has to move rather than your whole arm. Mr2's tighter handle spread are also less damaging to the poor people who don't, "let em run!" in time. If you include your backing the mr2 holds much more line...so just in case!! Biggest benefit of mr2 is the solid back keeps the water out so they require less maintenance. My reels get industrial use so practicality is what matters.

The comment about the drag sensitivity shouldn't be understated - I also found that the MR3's drag wasn't even close to as smooth as the MR2's in terms of consistent smooth payout while playing a fish or dropping down on rigger. For me MR2 hands down. I sold my 2 MR3's last year. Freespool is a bonus as well if you like to jig for lings with salmon gear. Cheers

Back