MR 3 Islander Reels

• Thread starter Thread starter Riptide2
  • Start date Start date
R

Riptide2

Anyone have opinions to share on the MR-3 reel compared with the MR-2?

Also anyone have experience with the Trophy Mooching reel?

Love my MR-3... it's actually lighter than an MR-2, with much greater line retriaval speed (handy when that big one turns and runs at the boat)....and holds a lot of line.

Very smooth & precise drag system, easily adjustable due to the indentation for extra space (for fat fingers like mine) around the drag adjustor.

I also really like the bigger handles on the MR-3, u can really grab 'em....and with the counterweight option removing one handle makes it so comfortable to allign your wrist in a more natural "battle position".

My dislike for the smaller pinner handles and slow line retriaval speed of the MR-2 kept me from buying that reel.

I got a blue 1 btw [8D] !!

I got my MR3 at Berrys in Richmond, they have a sale on right now - not sure if it covers Islander. I agree w above post, esp the drag..no comparison. Also the MR3 is reversble for Southpaws. I have the gold :)
JD

Here's an excerpt from their webpage about the development of the MR-3:

" New Mooching Reel Underway
The Islander MR2 is one of the best selling premium salmon mooching reels on the market today. With over 4000 MR2s out there, we have a hard time keeping this reel on the shelf.

The MR2 has remained virtually unchanged from its original design. Minor changes to the clutch and pawl mounting boss were the only real modification to be made in its more than 10 year history.

"If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!"

Well, it certainly isn't "broken" but many on the development team wanted to create another moocher. The idea was to create a mooching reel that was two-thirds the weight of the MR2 with a contemporary design.

Integrating a large arbor spool into the new mooching reel added an incredible amount of strength to the spool. Even though it looks like a lightweight reel, the spool and frame walls are substantially thicker than that of its LX counter part. The prototype has over 6 cubic inches of capacity, which translates into quite a bit of mono.

To help lighten the reel, the naval brass clutch is being replaced with the proven 7075 hard-coat anodized aluminum clutch, similar in design to the LX version. The only difference is it being made of far thicker material, with a modified profile to enhance strength. It will be surfaced with Teflon® and graphite-impregnated cork."

Back