Motor flush

pescaru

What do you guys do for flushing motors, say if you were moored with no available fresh water?
Thats got to be tough on them, not flushing an' all

Cheers
Vic

I don't flush when moored and I don't know anybody that does - but then again cheanuh doesn't have water to the docks even if I wanted to.

ha, is that how you clean your glasses at home to? Just turn them over and drain out the liquid and back in the cupboard. :D

Got a buddy with a newer style yammie. After every trip he tilts her up and hooks up a hose and flushes her out. EVERY time he uses it!

i flush every trip with salt away 20 min flush or more. with my new motor i dont need 2 run it while it flushes. scottyboy

Run the new Bomy 175 E-TEC Saltwater Edition,,, hook the garden hose for 2 min run it and done no recommended maintenance for 3 years yah thats rite 3 years boys go ahead Honda and Merc and or Yamy biches.. Read and weap 3 years....

When are you all going to wake up to the new kid on the the block... As usually when the boys from Alberta show you how...

Hey Walley, like the man says, "pay me now or pay me later" every body gets a turn.

Hmmm, I run my boat two to twelve times a day, every day, seven days a week. So if I was to hook up a hose and flush it for 20 minutes after each trip that would be 3 to 28 hours of flushing a week :)

I'm with LC we tilt mine ours up at the end of the day and let them drain and that's it. One boat is almost at a thousand hours with no corrossion issues in site so far. Not ideal but flushing really isn't practical in our scenario as the salt water is going to be back in a maximum of 12 hours anyway.

I think in most marina's it's the electrolysis from stray electric currents that's going to kill your engine long before salt water corrossion by itself is an issue.... Some of the marina's are so bad your zincs can be completely gone in under a year. Then your nice big expensive motor becomes your sacraficial metal [V]

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

When are you all going to wake up to the new kid on the the block... As usually when the boys from Alberta show you how...

When the word "Bombardier Revolutionary New Two Stroke" and "Replacement Powerheads" quit appearing in news articles. They still happen, sniff around. Otherwise appears to be an awesome engine. Oh yeah, and I don't see ANY of 'em on any of our dealerships showrooms, the motor is one thing, support is another.

Hey, if you only use your boat occassionaly and you have the capability to flush it between uses it sure isn't going to hurt and at the price of these damn things anything you can do to make it last even a few days longer is worth the effort. Just saying if you use it often and flushing is impractical I wouldn't loose any sleep over it :)

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever compared motor life length/problems between trailer boats and moored boats.
Like, I believe, most trailer boaters, flushing the motors is just part of the standard procedure when I get home. Although I never did it when I had a boat moored.
Is this just an old habit from when motors were not really built for saltwater use?

I think outboard longevity comparisions are hard to do given the really wide range of usage patterns and maintenance practices with boats.

One thing that I am a firm beleiver in is that outboards like to be used regularly. I've always had more problems with outboards I've used infrequently compared to those I've run the snot out of but used all the time. You only have to look at all the problems folks have with their kickers to become a believer in this.

Also think it's a really good idea to spend the $$$ on the right pitched prop to get your boat running at the manufacturers recommended working rpm's with your typical passenger/gear load. Think a lot of folks put undue stress on their motors by running them with the stock props regardless of operating rpms. See a lot of boats going by all summer either screaaming at high rpms or struggling under load.....

I don't think I've ever seen a motor written off because it corroded to death, other than being eaten by electrolysis due to poor zinc maintenance. Have seen a few die due to barnacle sets in the intakes causing poor waterflow, then overheating, then seizure as folks were too lazy to tilt them up. Some of the older engines had internal cooling pipes made out of steel that used to rust out and sometimes need replacing but all the saltwater ones now use SS so I think that's pretty rare these days...

But I'd still flush if I could :D

Some of the new I/O have some sort of attachment where you can just hook up the hose while you moored and just flush it out. They also make an after market attachement to do this. I agree with the salt away it seems to work great on all metal equipment. The lasting longer on the trailer or moored the key is to have all the zincs in good shape.

We bought a 9.9 Johnson in 1980 as a kicker.It was never flushed and never broke down 18 years later. We sold it with the boat. My new boat I flush everytime.

Back