Marina in Sooke closing .

codfish

What are all the fishermen in sooke supposed to do
when Sooke Harbour Marina shuts down at the end of September. It has been sold to developers who will be putting in codominiums. Tell me What you think???

dy

I moore at Sooke Hrbr Marina myself and it's a shame we're going to lose that marina. There aren't many alternatives other than Sunny Shores and I dislike travelling up and down the basin. I assume they will keep a portion of the Sooke Hrbr Marina docks for condo owners. Has the Crab Shack been sold too? It's right beside Sooke Hrbr marina and perhaps they could exand that marina? They could buy the existing docks from Sooke Hrbr marina and just install them 100 yards away! Overall, the marina situation is quite pathetic in the Sooke area - I might have to buy a condo just to get access to the docks. lol.

News to me....big ouch!

And when did the one just before Ayland become private? (rude shock my first time out this year having been gone for 10 years).

Guess this means get to Cheanuh real early or you'll be parking 5k away! Also means Beechy/Trap/Church just that much more congested.

There's a killing to be made if someone took the initiative to do something here!

Does the city/town of Sooke have any public boat launch ramps??? I don't think they do.. that is totaly pathetic !! All the fishermen need to show up at the Sooke town meetings when the rezone Sooke H. Marina for Condo's. The city of Sooke and the developers better give back some thing in return to the public in way of a public launch ramp or another Marina some where..

Does the city/town of Sooke have any public boat launch ramps??? I don't think they do.. that is totaly pathetic !! All the fishermen need to show up at the Sooke town meetings when the rezone Sooke H. Marina for Condo's. The city of Sooke and the developers better give back some thing in return to the public in way of a public launch ramp or another Marina some where..

Is this a done deal?
Sale made, zoning approved...?
Strange place for condos. View of the basin, cold fog, boat traffic...

Is this a done deal?
Sale made, zoning approved...?
Strange place for condos. View of the basin, cold fog, boat traffic...

Firstly understand town coucil, they turned down a T. Hortons franchise????? Sooke is developing big time with new residences. Tax dollars for the municipality. There are app 90 BBs here catering to tourists. Tourists equal money spent in the community. Tourists are lured here too by the fine fishing prospects. 100s of non res licenses sold every year and that is a fact. These fishing tourists utilize local guides and point being yes, some one posted the fact about attending council meetings and demanding launching facilities.
Campbell River, Count the number of launches, yes many, Sooke ought to look at that. If nothings done, next year is going to be a nightmare for launching facilities, like nothing!

B Gibb

Firstly understand town coucil, they turned down a T. Hortons franchise????? Sooke is developing big time with new residences. Tax dollars for the municipality. There are app 90 BBs here catering to tourists. Tourists equal money spent in the community. Tourists are lured here too by the fine fishing prospects. 100s of non res licenses sold every year and that is a fact. These fishing tourists utilize local guides and point being yes, some one posted the fact about attending council meetings and demanding launching facilities.
Campbell River, Count the number of launches, yes many, Sooke ought to look at that. If nothings done, next year is going to be a nightmare for launching facilities, like nothing!

B Gibb

Its all explained here in this link about the development..!

http://www.sookeharbour.com/sooke/marina-hotel-sooke.html

"The biggest concern voiced by council was the displacement of current marina users and the lack of launching facilities from the easily accessible site.

Of the current 130 slips, 35 would be used exclusively by the resort's residents with the remainder available for weekly and monthly rental. The marina would not allow trailer parking for members of the public who would use the boat launch. Parking would be only for residents of the resort.

"The principle purpose is fishing, the existing facility is underdeveloped," said Rocheleau. "The boat ramp would be kept open to the community of Sooke."

Its all explained here in this link about the development..!

"The biggest concern voiced by council was the displacement of current marina users and the lack of launching facilities from the easily accessible site.

Of the current 130 slips, 35 would be used exclusively by the resort's residents with the remainder available for weekly and monthly rental. The marina would not allow trailer parking for members of the public who would use the boat launch. Parking would be only for residents of the resort.

"The principle purpose is fishing, the existing facility is underdeveloped," said Rocheleau. "The boat ramp would be kept open to the community of Sooke."

I also heard the land that was the old logging mill site beside sunny shores was on the way to be developed also with a marina and convention centre coming very soon sooke is a sleeping giant get ready more people will be coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

I also heard the land that was the old logging mill site beside sunny shores was on the way to be developed also with a marina and convention centre coming very soon sooke is a sleeping giant get ready more people will be coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

quote:
I moore at Sooke Hrbr Marina myself and it's a shame we're going to lose that marina. There aren't many alternatives other than Sunny Shores and I dislike travelling up and down the basin. I assume they will keep a portion of the Sooke Hrbr Marina docks for condo owners. Has the Crab Shack been sold too? It's right beside Sooke Hrbr marina and perhaps they could exand that marina? They could buy the existing docks from Sooke Hrbr marina and just install them 100 yards away! Overall, the marina situation is quite pathetic in the Sooke area - I might have to buy a condo just to get access to the docks. lol.

dy

quote:

dy

No Jocks dock has not been sold but it is a les then an ideal boat ramp when tides are low. In regards to the fishing report in sooke it has been great. Depths of 80 and 105 off otter point. Scrap the bait it's time for the hoochies and spoons!
Good Luck!

dy

No Jocks dock has not been sold but it is a les then an ideal boat ramp when tides are low. In regards to the fishing report in sooke it has been great. Depths of 80 and 105 off otter point. Scrap the bait it's time for the hoochies and spoons!
Good Luck!

dy

Back