Mama's itchin' for da winter springs

Yeppers, Dr Hook and I were out today, Becher Bay.

Launched Cheanuh about 9am, one small but legal spring released within 5 min, one 19.5lb, our largest winter yet, at 10am.

Ended the day with 6 total, released two, kept 19.5, 12.7 plus two in the 50-55cm range when the rain started and it seemed like time to go.

19.5 in tight near Frazer, 130' right on botton, blue/green/silver flasher, 4" Copcar Coyote, most of the others in 190-220' of water, downriggers at 174-185' all on Coyote's, no flasher.

Not bad for 1/2 day.

http://members.shaw.ca/bij/nov24.jpg

Remember, this whole area inside Becher will possibly be an RCA next year. It's one of the best well protected winter spring areas around, so if you fish the area, let DFO know your concerns or it may not be available to any fishing for 10 years or more.

More info on this proposed RCA here.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3081

Thanks for the report, Bish. Too busy to go out myself right now, but I can still fish vicariously.
T2

Yup Codfish does it again!!!

Took the kids out thursday two 10pounders and a 13.5 in two hours.
Flat calm a little rain though.

dy

What a difference a day makes. We were out Becher Bay again Friday morning. Wind, wind waves, heavy rain, 4 other boats out, by 11am no one had a sniff so we packed it in to dry out.

Bish,nice fish.Was that big one clipped?

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

knuckle, I don't think so. I can't believe that two of us wouldn't notice in the boat, or me notice in processing the fish... however when I look at the picture, I don't see the adipose.

Too late now, the head was made into stock and I'm gnawing on some of him smoked as I type. I think I would have found the wire tag in my collander if it had one.

Here's something I find odd though. I just got back head info on a fin clipped spring I got July 31 off Camper at Renfrew.

Brood year 2000, from the Kalama Creek Hatchery. That's a 4.5/5 year old fish, but it was only 10lb. I'd have thought a Chinook that old would be mid 20's, minimum.

I've left message with fellow at DFO that sent me that info along with a few clipped coho, but no call back yet.

FWIW KALAMA Creek hatchery is run by the Nisqually Tribe and it's a trib of the Nisqually River which is the primary drainage from Mount Rainer and runs into Puget Sound near Olympia, Washington

Funny you mention that river Bish.

I was fishing the northern Queen Charlottes and caught a steelhead that had a spagetti tag in it, and it was from the Kalama River. Already fin clipped, We guessed that it had been clipped at birth, went out came back up, netted and tagged, went back out and we caught him. It was only about 6-7 pounds. Maybe they just grow them small there.

FWIW Dr Hook and I were out to Becher Bay yesterday for a few hours.

Just two hatchery springs, 6.7lb and about 5lb.

The first right on the bottom in about 130' of water, the other at 160' on the downrigger in about 200' of water.

Both on 4" Cop Car Coyotes and the only rod with a flasher, green/blue/silver, other 3 rods with no flasher, not even a touch.

Deep inside the Bay near Frazer.

Might have got more, but after the second one I found my wife had stuck a banana in my floater coat pocket. I had yet to put the coat on. Same rod popped the release clip once after that, but nothing there.

She's in BIG trouble. hehe.

Hard to believe that a chinook would be 5 years old and 10 lb. Go figure, most 5 year olds are over 30, Very strange.

the other Geoff

I have done tests and bananas are actually good luck, if none at all. I promise.

the other Geoff

Um how do you figure a 5 lb spring is 5 years old???
Most winter springs are a 2 year old fish sometimes 3 there here to fatten up and feed for the winter then they go back out to who knows where, the deeps somewhere. thats why if you notice a good winter fishery give it 2 years and the summer should be good too.
Ever notice sometimes with winter springs there bellys are full of bait or even coming back up in there mouths this is when they put the pounds on from nice herring that sit on the bottom of the ocean.

Wolf

Back