Malibu Tyee Transom Water

northshorebb

Hi Everyone,

This drain hole that goes through the transom on this Malibu Tyee I am looking at has water in it and feels a bit soft, is that an issue?

Image (2).jpgImage.jpg

So much hysterical drama, guys!

I had a Tyee for years. That drain hole was resin-sealed at the factory. It may have allowed some moisture into the core over an extended time. However, it was likely salt water from the splash well, if it's an ocean boat. Salt pickles wood and does not support fungus - rot. I doubt there is any relevant decay.

Negotiate the price. People panic at the thought of rot. If it troubles you, dry the area with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) on low for a few hours. Clean out the hole with a burr on a drill. Mix up slow, low viscosity epoxy and flood the hole. Tape off one side, then use a Tuck tape dam and funnel on the other side. Before the epoxy goes off, clean the exterior surfaces with acetone.

Keep your boat out of the rain. They can develop rot at the top edge of the transom, when the sealant fails below the aluminum trim. Mine did but it was easily repaired. Malibu's are great boats! Enjoy it!

It did sound more thuddy as I tapped closer to the hole and it looked like water was getting in from the top where the aluminum trim goes, all the calking on the top aluminum trip was missing or peeling off. He did pull the upper and lower motor bolts and said the wood was dry there (I didn't see this with my own eyes), so maybe it's just a bit of moisture around these drain holes.

Last edited:
It did sound more thuddy as I tapped closer to the hole and it looked like water was getting in from the top where the aluminum trim goes, all the calking on the top aluminum trip was missing or peeling off. He did pull the upper and lower motor bolts and said the wood was dry there (I didn't see this with my own eyes), so maybe it's just a bit of moisture around these drain holes.
A soft transom when you tap it with a mallet is so easy to pick out, so I think you just answered your own question, is it rotted right out probably not but it will get there, wood core is like a sponge if it’s been like this for a while it’s wet

Repairing a bit of rot in a transom can be difficult or easy. I've repaired 3 and found the answer is again, epoxy - and a small vacuum pump. I bought one to install a heat pump. It's great for sucking out moisture, too.

If the rot is near the top edge, drill down with a 1/4" drill to sound wood, 2" o.c. Use heavy plastic and tape to seal the area. Insert the tube from the pump and seal it. A horizontal straw underneath will hold the poly up. Pump a light vacuum and leave it for 2 hours. You'll need to run the pump periodically to keep a vacuum. Constant operation will overheat it. Leave it for 2 hours, then pump a vacuum again. Before you do this, carefully pour in some acetone (small funnel) and seal the hole. Too much will soften the tape. It will absorb and mobilize any remaining moisture. After two hours under vacuum, slowly pour in the thin, slow-cure epoxy until bubbling stops. Seal and apply vacuum. It will bubble as the epoxy penetrates the wood. Add more as needed until the edge stays wet. Clean up.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Seems like any DE/Tyee older than 10 years has water in there. This one doesn't seem too bad but I am going to pass on it. The hull was very clean other than this.

Think I am going to switch to looking for an aluminum haha

Back