Made in North America [Canada & USA]

• Thread starter Thread starter RVP
  • Start date Start date
R

RVP

I would like to start a list of MFG. Co.'s that truly make and assemle their wares in North America, namely Canada and USA. This after a great conversation with a customer about rod MFG.'s. It seems that far too many home grown companies are selling out and moving over seas to have their products produced.

I'll start the list with some easy ones;

Made in NA

Scotty, Gibbs, Len Thompson, Deadly Dick, Buzz Bomb/Zzinger, Rhys Davis, Krippled, Oki, Hot Spot

Please add more...

Robert, I'm about to take issue with the term "sellout".
So if I made a quality product and became moderately sucessful but wanted to take my company to the next level by cutting production costs thereby getting my product in more hands to enjoy...this is somehow construed as selling out?
Your inferance that a home grown product outsorced to increase profits, decrease operating costs and possibly increase employment both here and afar is somehow anti-Canadian????
I would like to support at all costs a Canadian company and am and have been willing to pay the increased price but you have to understand the economics here.
And no, I don't shop at WallMart which supports bottom down economics where cheaper is better and quality only counts until the one year warranty is up.
I only know of one or two products that are still made here....Islander Reels, Tomic Lures.....Not sure about Zinger or Buzz-Bomb (I think they package the finished product. Heck even Dymara Lures were made offshore and stickered here only.
Wow...what a rant...need come coffee now....I'm poping in to see you today....

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

Robert, I'm about to take issue with the term "sellout".

That was an awesome rant, and I appreciate your view of the term "sellout".

Dymara was never packaged in Canada, 95 percent of the products were offspring of D-A-M. All Dymara was made/packaged Overseas and imported as a finished product into Canada.

Unfortunately when we take a product Overseas it does not increase employment here in North America and it does not help anyone who lives in North America develop employment opportunities in such areas like MFG.

Certainly choices are based on echonomics, but in the same tolken, the long term effects are blinded and covered up by vertue of the all mighty dollar and short term immediate gain.

I am not knocking products that are made Overseas - the quality in many cases by far exceeds some of the same types of products that are being made here in NA.

My concerns are long term and what I see as a huge shift in our echonomy over the next ten years. I my self want a list of company's that still produce and package their wares here in NA, so as I, me, as a consumer can actively choose to support businesses and families in North America. To hopefully help curtail any kind of short comings that may lay ahead for North America.

The new poverty line for main stream British Columbia has just hit $50,000 yr. If all the NA companies start to build Offshore, then all we will be left with is menial low paying employment and all we will become is a total consumer based continent.

Where is the focus on long term sustainable employment going to be in the future?? I don't know, but I would sure like to be on the forefront in helping to keep the jobs that people have today, right now, here at home!

I understand economics...but it pisses me off to have to swap out the hooks in once top quality lures, now made overseas, for fear of losing a fish to a broken or straightened hook (not to mention the poor quality finishes). Bring on the domestic products!

No problem to get manaufacturing back on track in north america...
all you gotta do is pay the workers 5 bucks a day, no benefits
and harsh working conditions.[xx(]
Then we'll have all it all back again !

You must be dreaming $5 is too much compared to what the pay in those slave camps in China and other 3rd world contries. You would think with all out technoligy we could compete but the EPA restriction is also a major problem down here. They use lead in the paint of most lures to make them shine and it is a processing problem down here.

Well, had my coffee, did my drive to Nanaimo (sorry Robert, ran short of time) and back...
Don't get me wrong, I'm with ya on buying as much as possible from local companies, but does North American products include those countries that we have a free trade agreement with? Is Mexico included in buying N.American? Or are we talking just U.S.A. and Canada here?
Or are you just talking Canadian products.
Why not just limit it to the immediate area that you live...say just within a 20 kilometer radius of Nanaimo. What would you be able to purchase?
See where I'm going with this?

I try to support north american built products,We buy a ton of electrical equipment but more and more of it is being manufactured in China,for example I pay 11 bucks for a pot light here on the Island , I can have the SAME pot light for 4 bucks from overseas,switches from N.A run about a buck and a half more here each,the list goes on and on,pretty much all the light fixtures come from overseas also.As long as my competitors buy here so will I but someone will open the door and then we will have no choice but to follow.I guess its the new global economy.Sad.DAN

...sorry blueorca, I think I am missing something in what you are trying to say.

I did start this thread with my first comment being;
" I would like to start a list of MFG. Co.'s that truly make and assemle their wares in North America, namely Canada and USA."

The reason that many Overseas countries are lower in price for a comparable item is due to many factors - ie., EPA, labour, unenhibitted waste managenet and in some countries decades of stock piled, pennies on the dollar scrap and raw materials, etc, etc.

Use the common metal lead as a simple example - the reason cannon balls and so many other lead based products have risen so sharply this season is that all of the once abundent scrap lead from areas of BC, is now getting scarce and it is due to the direct shipping of scrap unprocessed materials to overseas countries like China. This practice makes it hard for a local MFG to purchace lead at a resonable price and the local MFG is now forced to buy lead from a foundry that has processed it almost pure for top dollar.

A similar product from China will be cheaper in the short term, but as we start to rely on China more and more, the cost will start to creep up and rise to a price that is similar to what we have grown to expect. As the trend to shift into control by directing consumers into accepting these changes start to strengthen, so will our quality of living start to drop. We can already see this in many areas of NA, where our echonomy is already starting to feel the pinch. Many industries are already being affected. We will soon feel the cost of doing business overseas, more than likely, in less than 10 yrs., that is of coarse if the rate of change stays the same as it is today.

Start saving your money now, because it is going to hurt. :(;)

Ya, ya, I know 'The sky is falling, the sky is falling!' Well not really and not yet - but I would like to help slow down the effects of what is going to happen...

this is a good read, and only one of thousands of articles surrounding global echonomic change and power shifts..."NOTE: it was writen two years ago!"

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_34/b3948401.htm

and here is a very well writen report called Forsight 2020
in PDF format
http://graphics.eiu.com/files/ad_pdfs/eiuForesight2020_WP.pdf

I fully understand what you are saying.
But if you take this reasoning too far, we wouldn't have an economy. We need to import and export as a country for us to survive. We do have the means to be somewhat self sufficient here in Canada but do you think it's fair to say that we can export some of our products into other countries that they expect to import some of theirs too in the bargain.
I agree that it would be nice to buy strickly North American products but that being said how can you tell they haven't out sourced some components of the total product?
What if Gibbs were using copolymer paints from Korea in their lures?
OK maybe I'm taking this too far...If a Canadian or American product is strickly made in house, expect them to manufacture either patented nonpropiatary products or expensive quality niche items.
That way they can create a product based on exclusivity because they won't be able to compete on volume and cost.
Take Islander Reels. Niche market item created not to compete with the Diawa MOne's (which they couldn't possibly do) but to make their own market for high end reels. Some may argue TFO's are comparable but not this guy.
Add to your list E-chip gear. (Protroll)which are made in the U.S.A.

Time for another hit of java.......

blueorca - you are totally missing my point...I said that I would like to complile a list of NA MFG's so as I could offer my support, to actively buy their wares. I am not trying to stop trading. I am actively trying to support job's that are slowly disappearing in NA. It is only far too obvious that many MFG's buy parts and pieces from other countries to complete many products. I said "make, assemble and package in NA." A list, not a debate!

E-Chip products are assembled and packaged Offshore. Especially the lures, and flashers, other than when an other MFG signs a licence to develop E-chip into their product range, such as Tomic did.

Thanks for you reply non the less...

The point of this thread (if I'm not mistaken) is to determine NA fishing products so they may be targeted by local tackle stores, not argue about the economics of trade.
I for one would pay more for locally made products if given the chance. Coyote spoons are a great example. They went from good quality perenial favorites, to lures with **** poor hooks and **** poor finishes after moving manufacturing to China.
RVP, bring on the higher priced local products!

By the way...how's the fishing?

Ok sorry, I wanted a debate.....
Here's some for you

Lucky Strike - Peterborough, Ontario
C & D Lures - LaSalle, Ontario
Canadian Wiggler - Tecumseh, Ontario
BaitBuster - Victoria, B.C.
Caribou Lures - Monteal, P.Q.
Shaddow Wear - Toronto, Ont.
BaitriX - Port Alberni, B.C.
PeetZ Mfg. - Victoria, B.C.
Dick Nite Spoons - Lake Sevens, Wa.

Thanks Blue...I appreciate you imput.

Ps. Baitrix is made, packaged and imported into Canada from Overseas - just so that we are clear, there is nothing wrong with that, as it is an awesome product and we do very well with it in Barkley Sound and Quatsino for hali, ling and salmon. It also works like a charm for rats and ho's on the Stamp river.

As previously mentioned, kind of, an address does not make it home grown...but that is what innovation, ideas and marketing are all about.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)[8D]:D

RVP, im with that idea 100%. Would be nice to have a certifing body similiar to http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/ that would certify products either made in NA or countries that have proper environmental and human rights practices or at least an accurate list of where the parts came from. Im for free enterprise, but give me an imformed choice, im buying NA.

...it's funny how topics can twist, anyways, I was just reading an informative article tonight in one of the papers - It said that the USA's debt load is aprox 75% of the world's total debt, and with most of the USA debt being owed to China. Food for thought...imagine how world echonomies will be manipulated in the not to distant future. If the USA heads into a recession due to it's circumstance, Canada will fall with it.

Well, back to my list;

Ez Eggs - USA
Ace Line Hauler - Canada
Teton Reels - USA
Talon rods - USA
Ande line - USA
Worden's - USA
Firefish Lures - Canada
...I am sure there are more - please keep adding to the list.

RVP. ;)

Okay, the Ace Line Hauler one that got me going a little.

They are "assembled" in Canada but the motor is a Made-In-China less-than-spectacular product having burnt two of them out in under 6 months. Okay for no wind, lighter trap hauling but won't stand up to our winter winds (okay mayby not even this years spring winds). To be fair to the company they replaced the motors but I just don't have the time or space on my boat for something that is broken all the time...

So let's differentiate between "Made in Canada" vs "Assembled in Canada". Cheap Chinese steel is cheap Chineese steel regardless of where it's assembled. Was told by a local fabricator it's because many of the Chinese manufacturers are using a high reclaimed-metal content which can have significant impurities which degrades the strength... but brings down the cost/price.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Okay, the Ace Line Hauler one that got me going a little.

They are "assembled" in Canada but the motor is a Made-In-China less-than-spectacular product having burnt two of them out in under 6 months.

Sorry to hear that, but we have never had any issues with our hauler, it works great for us. There is no need to separate assembled or made, as it is still an end use product that was deleloped and put together and packaged in NA.

All I want is a list...please help me out here.

Thanks,
RVP

Lyman Lures handmade in Kelowna, BC
More popular in the Great lakes, overseas and for BC trout than for westcoast salmon. I believe Wolf likes them because they can be fished at the same speed as bait on another rod.
Ok, the owner's kid played ball with mine, but this ain't no spam. I think Glen employs about 10 people.

http://www.lymanlures.com/

Back