Lousy weather forecasting

Cuba Libre

I complained to Env. Can. about the poor quality of wind forecasts on the marine weather. In my estimation they are wrong , to at least some degree, 50% of the time. Here is the response.....

Thank you for sending your feedback to Environment Canada.

I understand your frustration about the lack of accuracy of the forecasts and warnings and wish to explain some of the limitations that we face in making and communicating predictions about the weather.

Although our meteorologists use some of the best radar, satellite and computer model technologies available, there remain deficiencies in our knowledge of the science of meteorology and the past and present weather conditions upon which our meteorologists and computer systems rely in preparing and distributing forecasts.

One big challenge is trying to take into account all the "local effects" caused by the geography of an area where the weather can be substantially different in one place compared to the rest of the region because of the effects of valleys, hills, mountains, or proximity to water. Another is the brevity with which we have to communicate information about often complex weather situations. The accuracy of the forecast is usually better for the near-future, and decreases in the long term as errors associated with the deficiencies in our knowledge of the detailed state of the atmosphere grow over time.

We take the tracking of our forecast performance very seriously and monitor the accuracy of the weather forecasts. Although we are able to see that our predictions have been improving over time, there are occasions where nature sometimes deals us a scenario that is extremely difficult to forecast with the kind of accuracy that we would like and perhaps you expect. We are undertaking efforts to continuously improve our forecasts and to improve our measurements of their accuracy. Rest assured that the technologies are improving and the global knowledge of meteorology is improving with every event that is investigated.

All the complaints we receive regarding the quality of our forecasts and warnings are sent to the appropriate managers of the forecast centres for their information.

Regards,

National Inquiry Response Team
Meteorological Service of Canada
Environment Canada

Damn funny-- I dont see the same error rate south of the border.. Charlie-Comments??

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

All I know is that for whatever reason the forecasts are getting less reliable than in the past. We cancelled a trip to Malcolm a couple weeks back because they were calling for gale force NW winds and waves to 3 meters. It turned out to be calm :((and the fishing was good). [V]
Even Big Wave Dave has been a bit off lately.

Yeah, know what you mean. Got cautious because of the strong winds forecast last week at McNeil so didn't go out. Turned out to be a beautiful day (a little wet but light winds). What a bummer! I really don't know what to believe about the forecasts anymore.

Big Wave Dave is useful for me to see the weather before I head out. In old days, looking at the directions of smoke from the sawmill was useful before I head out. If the smoke goes vertical as straight up..water is calm. if not, it's windy out there.

The problem is it changes so easily out and fast ive seen it flat calm at otter then get near possession and its 2 to 3 ft waves from the strong ebb.
the only good thing is basic local knowledge via yourself ill use sooke as an example especially the harbour mouth if you know its a very strong ebb and a westerly wind you can bet its going to have stacked waves out front you just get to know it from going out almost everyday and knowing the different currents if you know its a slowing ebb to a flood it will usually get flat calm out that ebb does very strange thing from the mouth to half way to otter its almost the the bermuda triangle. i will often get past the big kelp reef and head right towards the tin shack and go along the east side of otter just to make it a more comfortable ride.

How many times have you launched a boat at SS and its flat calm only to get out there and its 3 to 4 fters hey highlights!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

they aren't much better with what comes from the sky yesterday - last nights forecast was cloudy with chance of showers, I'm looking out the window telling my wife there's going to be a thunderstorm....rain hits, wind hits, then comes rumble of thunder and a few lightning bolts. I can do a better job just looking out the window.

Then while its happening, they change the forecast to a few thundershowers...lol

I could have told them that much earlier based on this sky:
60497_429045670657_622875657_5552721_7847056_n.jpg

Well at least they got it right today... forecast was for light until noon rising to SE 10-20 .

They were right... surfed the SE all the way back from Little Q to Union Bay ( but no fish in the boat...[xx(])

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back