Lost and found. 20 lb spring.

Birdsnest

So the other day we got blown off the off shore waters and had to fish inside for shelter from the SE winds. Since it was a derby day in tofino I figured it would be a good idea to stay away from the common spots and fish something a bit less popular and maybe if we got one that would be great. We fished an area for about an hour and did not have a sniff until we went through a back edie off a point the island and hooked into a hot 25 lb spring. We were all stoked with this but did not expect much else to come of it but this one tack off a rock point provided just about every pass.
None of us had had any good fishing yet this year so we were all pumped until my buddy dropped a rod just moments after hooking into another 20 ish lb spring. What a downer. The other side had hooked up as well but it got off so all the gear was out of the water and we were all stunned. I immediately lower both balls and started to take the boat in circles to try and get the line. I did this for 10 mins or so but no luck.

I had had it and wanted to pull the pin but the fishing was awesome and the others wanted to keep going so we trolled with one rod and missed a couple more fish. Then it started to happen. My friend was checking the gear and said hey I got something here. I immediately recognized the yellow braid that was on that lost rod and I knew right away what it was. We started bringing in the line by hand and the rod came up right away and then I noticed that the fish was still on the line. I hand lined the very tired spring to the boat and we netted it. It felt like a bonus fish for sure.

My favourite type of salmon fishing is catching big springs in shallow water. I learned that fighting big springs in shallow water on braid is violent and chalanging. The braid may have been a factor in dropping the rod. We were hooking these fish up in 30 feet of water. It seems like the shallower you hook's up in the hotter they are. In the end we landed 5 springs out of an area the size of a 1/4 acre in a couple of hours.

The last time I saw that fish it was headed full steam out of that area but I guess it came back and held in that spot again. who knows. None the less an interesting event for us as $500 worth of rod line and reel was lost and found.

So the other day we got blown off the off shore waters and had to fish inside for shelter from the SE winds. Since it was a derby day in tofino I figured it would be a good idea to stay away from the common spots and fish something a bit less popular and maybe if we got one that would be great. We fished an area for about an hour and did not have a sniff until we went through a back edie off a point the island and hooked into a hot 25 lb spring. We were all stoked with this but did not expect much else to come of it but this one tack off a rock point provided just about every pass.
None of us had had any good fishing yet this year so we were all pumped until my buddy dropped a rod just moments after hooking into another 20 ish lb spring. What a downer. The other side had hooked up as well but it got off so all the gear was out of the water and we were all stunned. I immediately lower both balls and started to take the boat in circles to try and get the line. I did this for 10 mins or so but no luck.

I had had it and wanted to pull the pin but the fishing was awesome and the others wanted to keep going so we trolled with one rod and missed a couple more fish. Then it started to happen. My friend was checking the gear and said hey I got something here. I immediately recognized the yellow braid that was on that lost rod and I knew right away what it was. We started bringing in the line by hand and the rod came up right away and then I noticed that the fish was still on the line. I hand lined the very tired spring to the boat and we netted it. It felt like a bonus fish for sure.

My favourite type of salmon fishing is catching big springs in shallow water. I learned that fighting big springs in shallow water on braid is violent and chalanging. The braid may have been a factor in dropping the rod. We were hooking these fish up in 30 feet of water. It seems like the shallower you hook's up in the hotter they are. In the end we landed 5 springs out of an area the size of a 1/4 acre in a couple of hours.

The last time I saw that fish it was headed full steam out of that area but I guess it came back and held in that spot again. who knows. None the less an interesting event for us as $500 worth of rod line and reel was lost and found.

Lucky you, glad to hear you got the rod back. I don't think it was really the spectra that caused the loss of the rod though. I'd chalk that one up to buddy with butter fingers. I'd put a leash on the rod the next time you hand him a $500 outfit. Or make him put down a deposit on it next time. Ha ha.

Great story. Glad it had a happy ending

Great story man I enjoyed reading that. When I was about 15 something similar happened to me. I was fishing the Egmont government dock with a live shiner on my line, I had been there for hours and had no luck so I put my rod on the dock and went to check some thing out. As I was walking away I realized my mistake and turned around. Too late. I saw the rod butt sliding off the dock and it was gone. Bummed out I went to the general store and bought as much three strand rope as I could with the $5 I had, about thirty feet. I separated the three strands of the rope and had 90 feet. I attached the biggest weight in my tackle box ten feet from the end with a small one at the end with three trebles in between. I put it too the bottom and dragged it around on the bottom in hopes of recollecting my rod. For hours I dragged it with no success. The rope got caught on the bottom but it came. I tried swimming but 50 feet in early may was impossible. I gave it one more try and in a spot 50 feet or so from where I dropped it I suddenly had some weight on my line. I pulled it up and to my delight my mono was attached to one of the trebles. I retrieved the rod and there was an eleven lb lingcod still on the line. Good way to end the day.

Great Story Birdsnest, buy a lottery ticket

I lost my keys while I was out fishing a few weeks later I went back to the same lake. I did find my keys with get great satisfaction!

What I get out these stories, is the NO QUIT factor!! Great stories.

I've read many stories about fly rods taken out of a boat by a striking fish that were never recovered on interior lakes. I've wondered a few times what one might dredge up with some rope and a grappling hook in one of the more popular lakes. Haha

Great Story Birdsnest, buy a lottery ticket
Percy,
it's funny that I have a very similar story in the same place! about 48 years ago my cousin and I where fishing off of the Egmont dock for rock fish & lingcod. At that time you could buy live herring for $1.00 per dozen. we would rig up a live herring on our trout spinning rods and just drop it straight down. I no time flat we would hook up a nice rock fish or decent size lingcod. My cousin decided to try something different so he rigged up his next live herring and casted it out as far as he could. he laid the rod down on the dock and turned away for a second to talk to me. the next thing you know, the rod is yanked off of the dock and we watch it go zooming through the water with a big bubble trail behind it. Unfortunately we never saw that rod again and we lashed our rods to the dock from that point on!

I've read many stories about fly rods taken out of a boat by a striking fish that were never recovered on interior lakes. I've wondered a few times what one might dredge up with some rope and a grappling hook in one of the more popular lakes. Haha

I was out trolling a lake one day and caught something that felt odd. Sure enough I reels my line up and I'd hooked a fly line. I hand lined it up and found a beater fly rod on one end covered in slime. Handling up the other end and found a live 2 pound + cuttie on the fly. I let the little guy go as I felt that was the least he deserved for being stuck to the line for days. I figure a found fish like that should always be released for good karma.

Great story, love these kind of fish tales.

I had one last year at the Kitty Coleman hump. Was lowering the line on the downrigger and my Scotty Orca rod holder popped open and the rod goes into the water. Luckily, the line was still in the clip so like the Big Guy, I hand bomb the line up and retrieve my rod (sigh of relief, sadly, not the only time it's happened with the Orca's).

As I'm done dealing with that, I go to bring in my other line but it's now snagged and wrapped around the deep line. Again, frustrating, but not a huge deal. My son then says, 'dad, there's a fish with a flasher over there on the surface'. I look over and notice a decent spring swimming along the surface slowly with a flasher dragging behind him. I'm thinking 'hmmm, lets see if we can grab him and the flasher!' Every time I turn the boat towards him, smart bugger starts to turn behind us to the rear. After the third attempt at this, I notice the flasher looks awfully familiar... Light bulb goes off, grab my fishing line off of the deep line and start hand bombing it towards me. Lo and behold, he starts getting closer.

I was able to bring the tired guy in and was able to net him. High five buddy (to my son)!!! Added a 10 1/2 spring to the cooler and didn't lose a single piece of gear. Had a really good chuckle about that one.

Agreed, this pretty much describes my last Haida Gwaii trip. The fish were all 'only' 20-25 lb but just 30-40 ft down and on braid so the fights were consistently exciting. Once we figured out the one tiny creek mouth where they were holding, we nailed one pretty much every pass, often double headers.

I too have a similar story. About 50 years ago I was out fishing with my grandfather the day after the Sun Fishing Derby. I snagged something and when I got my line reeled in there was another line attached to it. I pulled the other line in by hand and at the end there was a rod with a Peetz reel , all in excellent shape.
I still have both the rod and reel and they remind me of my grandfather whenever they are used

I too have a similar story. About 50 years ago I was out fishing with my grandfather the day after the Sun Fishing Derby. I snagged something and when I got my line reeled in there was another line attached to it. I pulled the other line in by hand and at the end there was a rod with a Peetz reel , all in excellent shape.
I still have both the rod and reel and they remind me of my grandfather whenever they are used

Back