looking for a 4-stroke kicker

oh ya, I actually did see that one a while back but forgot about it. What do you think they mean by "remote controls"?

Poppa it means with controls no tiller handle so if you want you can tie a bar between the 2 motors its what I use and most guides as you can control your speed.

Wolf

oh so its got the controls that I can run to the cockpit - instead of walking to the back of the boat to change speeds. I've never had that luxury.

Oh it is a great luxury try it you may just like it LOL

Good luck Wolf

Im going to sell mine. 1999 yamaha 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke long leg, tiller handel, I am going to get a new one with controls. runs well. In Sooke near shell station $1500

you sound like a drug dealer from an afternoon special with that line Wolf. And I'm just impressionable enough to take your advice.

Morning woody, I mean chubby I may PM you on that engine but Wolf's got me thinking dirty thoughts about remote controls now.

Poppy if thats what you like go with the ol saying "Whatever floats your boat!!!!!!" if thats how you inturput what I said LOL LOL.

Morning you dont have to sell your moter you can get a conversion bracket (S&G) and just take off the handle run up some cables i suggest the one you can get from Trotac they are teflon coated inside and small for kickers purple in color about 90 bucks a cable I think (dont quote me)get an old control box it doesnt need to be a yammy, the first one i used was an old 70s merc box it didnt have a key switch so I hooked up a push button start and used the stop button on the moter.

There are a variety ways of hooking up the electrical so you would be into it for less than 300 bucks and your time. then you know how it all works!!!

Good luck Wolf

Make sure you check into well before buying a tiller model and plan on converting it to remote.
First of all a lot of tiller models won't have an electrical system. And without one you will have to run you're big engine to keep you're batteries up, they will get drained from you're electronics. And if you have to run you're big engine all the time anyways it will kind of defeat the purpose. Putting a charging system on may not be the easiest or most economical.
Just some things to look into before before you spend some money...

Well I have never heard of a 9.9 yammy with out a charging system if there is must be new even the new hi 8s have a charging system. as for the other models I simply dont know I like the yammy for trolling thats for sure great motor.

Wolf

I'm am not that familier with the small Yammies myself but I just wanted poppa to be aware of the fact some manufacturers don't run charging systems on tillers. I know when I rigged up my new boat this spring and I went with a Johnson 9.9 4 stroke which is actually built by Suzuki and they don't run any electronics on there standard tillers. It wasn't my plan to go tiller anyways but it is just something I had found out...

We tried on of those up at the lodge for 2 years it ran the s*$%s it turned out to be a great anchor, LOL

Wolf

Well thanks for telling me now ;) ;) so far it has run nice wolf but I only put about 40hrs on it last summer out in Sooke I guess time will tell. I doubt I will ever put on the hours a lodge would but over time you never know. It is a very easy starting and very quite and smooth running engine like I said the new ones are built by Suzuki and they have a reputation as good engines. It was not necesarily my first choice for a troller but I went with the Evinrude 175 E-TEC and wanted an engine to match.

It was one of those that first cam out personally i think the crank was out of balance it shook the whole boat all the time and never had a "happy" spot with it,

We started(13 years ago)with honda 4 strokes with but the handles kept on breaking now we have ran yammys the past 5 years and with the amount we put on them they still run great Doubt we will ever switch back.

Last year alone on my personal boat I logged 398 hours on my new yammy so far and probably even more this year. I hooked up an hour meter to it so I now exactly what I run every year.

Take a look at what guides run and lodges thats a good indicator.

Good luck Wolf

Run my 9.9 Yammy for five years now. Great kicker. Easy to maintain.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Poppy if thats what you like go with the ol saying "Whatever floats your boat!!!!!!" if thats how you inturput what I said LOL LOL.

Morning you dont have to sell your moter you can get a conversion bracket (S&G) and just take off the handle run up some cables i suggest the one you can get from Trotac they are teflon coated inside and small for kickers purple in color about 90 bucks a cable I think (dont quote me)get an old control box it doesnt need to be a yammy, the first one i used was an old 70s merc box it didnt have a key switch so I hooked up a push button start and used the stop button on the moter.

There are a variety ways of hooking up the electrical so you would be into it for less than 300 bucks and your time. then you know how it all works!!!

Good luck Wolf

Hey wolf thanks for the info. Whats your advice for steering it? i have hydrolics for my main and currently use an easy steer. I like the option of steering from the back or the helm so im tossed up on my decesion to re-rig things. my boat doesnt turn well with out use of the main as a rudder to help

I like Yami 8hp hi trust with elec start and tilt. Controls right by the trottle and they will push just about any boat along nicely should the big motor quit.

In my area they are mounted on 18-28ft boats and they all top out at about 5-6mph at full trottle and idle down nice and quiet/smooth for the troll.

As to steering, TR1 Gold autopilot for the kicker is the best thing since the invention of cheap GPS plotters. They have an inertia nav driven by a gyro ball that holds headings or GPS waypoints regardless of wind, current or what ever. The come with wireless or cable remotes that controlls step turns, zig-zags, circles, MOB and reserve trolling. Turns are programmable with 10 choices from 1 to 90 degrees increments with one push of a button and trottle changes 20-30rpm increments. Once you install one of these things you will wonder how you ever fished before.

See: http://www.nautamatic.com/gold/index.htm

Morning I have a link inbetween the 2 motors and this year i am currently puting in a second steering (hydrolic helm) right in the middle of the boat on the back of it, and got this great little steering whell from a place we all know it is only 8 ichs round with a nice little suicide knob will work fantastic for steering in the back and small and compact so it wont be too much in the way.

What type of boat do you have and is it possable to do that? my links are on the front of the motors and I dont touch them I can trim either motor with out it binding so the link stays on all the time very handy. hope that helps

Good luck Wolf

Back