Ling Jigs - Power Paddle/ Megabite

We probably have the same kit from Amazon, and the largest size is 9/0. Wouldn't go smaller than 7/0 in this use. Hard to find good assist hooks up here in Canada. That kit is a good starter and relatively inexpensive, but definitely not kevlar cord and after about 10 toothy buggers you will see the wear. PNT has some decent looking 7/0 hooks. With regards to hook size for jigs (flatfall etc.) conventional wisdom is that hook points should come 1/3 to 1/2 way down the jig.

These assist hooks work fine. I usually loose the jig, or it gets logged in their mouth so well I just cut it off. If the cord, is looking worn out, just cut off and replace. These are cheap hooks. Don’t overthink like Riverboy says

Keep in mind boys when your down 150’ plus colour makes very little difference unless your running glow. Orange, brown, grey even white all just shades of grey at that depth.

11” worm from Lancer Jigs with 16oz of lead. Haven’t missed in two years.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 270
We probably have the same kit from Amazon, and the largest size is 9/0. Wouldn't go smaller than 7/0 in this use. Hard to find good assist hooks up here in Canada. That kit is a good starter and relatively inexpensive, but definitely not kevlar cord and after about 10 toothy buggers you will see the wear. PNT has some decent looking 7/0 hooks. With regards to hook size for jigs (flatfall etc.) conventional wisdom is that hook points should come 1/3 to 1/2 way down the jig.
Peche Sud has a decent selection of high quality assist hooks and split rings for reasonable prices and they ship pretty quick.

4oz Delta Glow Green. Caught many large lings on them. Come in two packs so they're cheaper. Already have two hooks. I really want to try the West Coast ones though. They look awesome and have more weight with the solid rubber body. Replacing tails is lame.
I'm with RC... the 2-packs of the Delta 4oz powerpaddle, either glow green or Herring Aid color work best for me.

4oz Delta Glow Green. Caught many large lings on them. Come in two packs so they're cheaper. Already have two hooks. I really want to try the West Coast ones though. They look awesome and have more weight with the solid rubber body. Replacing tails is lame.
4oz a little light for me, and traditionally have stuck with the Mega Bite or Power Paddle 14oz since with Ling, deeper generally = bigger. Do like the look of those WCFT 2 hook 10oz and will be picking up 2 today.

Who says I'm not adding weight? ;)

Also, that GIRL was caught at 30 feet.

11” worm from Lancer Jigs with 16oz of lead. Haven’t missed in two years.
Those lancer jigs look great. Are you using the "Purple Nightmare Worm" thats the only one I see in that size. Can you get them online in Canada or do you order them directly?

Those lancer jigs look great. Are you using the "Purple Nightmare Worm" thats the only one I see in that size. Can you get them online in Canada or do you order them directly?
I was using the Purple Nightmare a lot but snagging bottom and losing jigs made me try Worm Dog. The Worm Dog caught a 31 pounder. I order directly and get just the replacement worms and put my own lead and hook on. I’m in Washington and don’t know how they deliver or retail in Canada. Contact them. Great folks.

What lb mono are you guys running for your leader with those megabite 14oz and 16oz delta bullet jigs?

I have 90lb braided on my main line but last time I directly connected my jig onto the braid with a swivel snap and when I caught bottom it was very difficult to break it off.

I was thinking 2' of 40lb but is that enough or should I be using 50 or 60lb?

We were catching some 37 and one 38" ling last time I was with a friend and I'm heading back to the same area tomorrow morning.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!

What lb mono are you guys running for your leader with those megabite 14oz and 16oz delta bullet jigs?

I have 90lb braided on my main line but last time I directly connected my jig onto the braid with a swivel snap and when I caught bottom it was very difficult to break it off.

We were catching some 37 and one 38" ling last time I was with a friend and I'm heading back to the same area tomorrow morning.

With those toothy buggers nicking the leader and the chance I may pick up a hali, I go 50#.

I use 80lb mono leader.

Back