Ling Jigs - Power Paddle/ Megabite

So...About the ling cod jigging... Have now tried the mega bites and the assist hooks. Both work well.
The assist hooks get caught up easier but I have had a few fish on that hook that would have missed the other. So good and bad.
Bigger bait and deeper water seems to produce bigger fish also.
Yeah I bought the wrong size assist hooks and need to rebuy, I got 0/6 and I need 0/9. I didnt get any of them hooked on the 0/6's. They would be good for the 6oz I'm using 16oz heads (Gibbs delta bullet jig) and either the mega bite tails or savage. I have not used the glow hurricane yet.

Is there any cheaper jig heads, its $13 + a swim tail ~ $20-22 each time I loose one of these babies.

Has anyone tried the Chartreuse colored Gibbs heads vs white?

We got a 30" ling off the white Russian last night on the 16oz Gibbs white bullet head. I need a better reel/rod combo though. Pulling up 200-250' of line is tiring after a hour and a half jigging with my setup. I think I will create a different post on it though as I have some other questions about trying to find a salmon/ling setup.

Yeah I bought the wrong size assist hooks and need to rebuy, I got 0/6 and I need 0/9. I didnt get any of them hooked on the 0/6's. They would be good for the 6oz I'm using 16oz heads (Gibbs delta bullet jig) and either the mega bite tails or savage. I have not used the glow hurricane yet.

Is there any cheaper jig heads, its $13 + a swim tail ~ $20-22 each time I loose one of these babies.

Has anyone tried the Chartreuse colored Gibbs heads vs white?

We got a 30" ling off the white Russian last night on the 16oz Gibbs white bullet head. I need a better reel/rod combo though. Pulling up 200-250' of line is tiring after a hour and a half jigging with my setup. I think I will create a different post on it though as I have some other questions about trying to find a salmon/ling setup.

I always buy a few of these every year or two. I’ve never had a tail outlast a jig head. In my experience, white jigs out fish any other colour. As far as rods/reels go, the proper setup makes all the difference. The jig needs to be the appropriate weight for the rod. In my experience, these 14oz jigs don’t pair well with my MH 6’6 Trevala. They do better with my Admunson Sumo Savy. So I’ll run a lighter jig with my trevala but it’s far more work (back trolling) keeping my line vertical with a lighter jig. Lighter jigs are tough when fishing deep like you so I’d stick with the heavy stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_7575.png
    IMG_7575.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 5
@N2013 Maybe its just my 330 GT is old but I find it so slow to reel it up. I have a Ugly stick MH 7' with it.

I want to figure out a better setup and something maybe that reels up a lot faster so I can pull it up and drop again to get it vertical in our drift.

I thought a new reel with better gearing could make it easier to get the 16 oz up quickly.

We are usually drifting .5km from the starting point and normally the drift only takes 10-15 minutes in the Haro Straight. Yesterday evening seemed to be moving quicker than normal and our lines were not vertical after a few minutes with the 16 oz jigs. I know Gibbs makes a 24 0z of the bullet jib. I was debating if that would keep it more straight but then its so much heavier to jig.

@outbeen with a 6 oz in that spot within a few minutes it's no where near vertical.

@N2013 Maybe its just my 330 GT is old but I find it so slow to reel it up. I have a Ugly stick MH 7' with it.

I want to figure out a better setup and something maybe that reels up a lot faster so I can pull it up and drop again to get it vertical in our drift.

I thought a new reel with better gearing could make it easier to get the 16 oz up quickly.

We are usually drifting .5km from the starting point and normally the drift only takes 10-15 minutes in the Haro Straight. Yesterday evening seemed to be moving quicker than normal and our lines were not vertical after a few minutes with the 16 oz jigs. I know Gibbs makes a 24 0z of the bullet jib. I was debating if that would keep it more straight but then its so much heavier to jig.

@outbeen with a 6 oz in that spot within a few minutes it's no where near vertical.
You could always back troll to keep the lines more vertical

200’ does require some cranking. There are faster reels (better gearing or 2 speed reels). Good chance you have a lot more line out than that if you’re experiencing a lot of blow back. Like @Aces said, you need to back troll (troll in reverse towards your jig) to keep it more vertical. Fishing areas/times of slower water movement help keep your gear more vertical. Might be worth checking out some other areas. I used to fish around Sonora and there are some wicked places and a lot water movement but many were only fishable at slack tides.

A heavier jig will help, but it also means it’s a lot more work. I’m familiar with the 330/ugly stick combo setup and it is a heavy setup. I assume you’re using braid?

Back