Light sticks for halibut

Northdogboy

So I've seen so many different gimmicks for halibut. I've always wondered. Anyone use the little light sticks you get your kids on your gear? Red green blue. Do they hold up down deep or do they blow apart at depth?

I use the inserts made by lighthouse lures, particularly the clear. Insert in the head of your 9” hoochie, activates when it hits the water. We have had incredible success with clear light setup, the UV didn’t work at all. We tested this out the last two years on our big Hali trips. The setup with the light landed %90 of the fish. I’m sold.

B150E292-9D6F-4E2C-A026-B1C70636085A.png

1A7ADA7C-A9F6-482A-9610-B5BF614DC3A8.png

I can second the lighthouse lure lights. Truly cant compare to anything else. I fish mainly up north from 50-650' of water. I have had great luck in green, and multi color lights. Haven't tried white yet?

I can Honestly say 90% of my hali are caught on LED squid with herring.

Lighthouse lures is the way to go. Just make sure you dry the electrodes before putting them away. I like the big white 9 inch hoochies they sell-the green are a close second with either belly or herring!!

I never fish halibut in more than 350'.
Have tried all the light gimmicks and frankly cannot say they help.
If you must have light, try a glow stick. they are cheap and will last a couple of hours at a time.
The key for us is smell.

Tried these water activated lights with no noticeable difference for halibut.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Sea-LED-Lure-Underwater-Fishing-Light-Squid-Strobe-Flashing-Lamp-Bait-Bass-/223005123769
look to be the same for $11.99 us came directly from China and took forever to get here.
https://lighthouselures.com/product/l-e-d-fishing-lure-enhancer-lights-wholesale-5-pack/ $24.99
View attachment 42269
Those aren't the lights we are talking
Tried these water activated lights with no noticeable difference for halibut.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Sea-LED-Lure-Underwater-Fishing-Light-Squid-Strobe-Flashing-Lamp-Bait-Bass-/223005123769
look to be the same for $11.99 us came directly from China and took forever to get here.
https://lighthouselures.com/product/l-e-d-fishing-lure-enhancer-lights-wholesale-5-pack/ $24.99
View attachment 42269
Those are not the ones we are talking about. GO to the Lighthouse lures website and you will see the big pre rigged squid-I have used them for many years with good results. Won't fish without them!!

[QUOTE="spring fever, post: 910855, member: 14"
Those are not the ones we are talking about. GO to the Lighthouse lures website and you will see the big pre rigged squid-I have used them for many years with good results. Won't fish without them!![/QUOTE]

Have not tried the pre rigged squid, but have tried several others including the lights below.
Maybe I need to get one of those pre rigged squid.
All gear designed to catch fishermen and like many I take the bait.
Probably will try the nose light on the 9" hootchie....more money spent....eh...but no doubt will go back to the herring and salmon belly.
hali light.jpg

[QUOTE="spring fever, post: 910855, member: 14"
Those are not the ones we are talking about. GO to the Lighthouse lures website and you will see the big pre rigged squid-I have used them for many years with good results. Won't fish without them!!

Have not tried the pre rigged squid, but have tried several others including the lights below.
Probably will try the nose light on the 9" hootchie....more money spent....eh...but no doubt will go back to the herring and salmon belly.
View attachment 42274[/QUOTE]

Do you use the squids with the light and herring or salmon belly or just the squid with light?

I am like Spring fever with this one. I always use them & out fish the rod with out them. I have even bought the LED lights direct from Lighthouse lures & made my own squid lures I designed.

Perhaps its the area fished that makes the difference? Type of feed they are eating? I have only used them in northern waters...

View attachment 42274

Do you use the squids with the light and herring or salmon belly or just the squid with light?[/QUOTE]

I always use Belly ,herring or octo with them-they are like scents-they are an enhancer-I even inject my baits with scents. You only get out so many times a year and you have to make it count. I usually fish with other people on my boat so I can compare how the lights work with bait vs just bait. Since we are using the same bait over time it should be a valid comparison. Usually works out at 2 to 1 but sometimes it is embarrassing and have had to share my rod. I retie the hooks on the large squid to a tandem set-up to take whatever bait I am using.

Do you use the squids with the light and herring or salmon belly or just the squid with light?

I always use Belly ,herring or octo with them-they are like scents-they are an enhancer-I even inject my baits with scents. You only get out so many times a year and you have to make it count. I usually fish with other people on my boat so I can compare how the lights work with bait vs just bait. Since we are using the same bait over time it should be a valid comparison. Usually works out at 2 to 1 but sometimes it is embarrassing and have had to share my rod. I retie the hooks on the large squid to a tandem set-up to take whatever bait I am using.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of tandem set up. I always re tie mine with crimps. Do you anchor or drift typically?

I always use Belly ,herring or octo with them-they are like scents-they are an enhancer-I even inject my baits with scents. You only get out so many times a year and you have to make it count. I usually fish with other people on my boat so I can compare how the lights work with bait vs just bait. Since we are using the same bait over time it should be a valid comparison. Usually works out at 2 to 1 but sometimes it is embarrassing and have had to share my rod. I retie the hooks on the large squid to a tandem set-up to take whatever bait I am using.

I like the idea of tandem set up. I always re tie mine with crimps. Do you anchor or drift typically?[/QUOTE]

I've done both but when the size limits came into the halibut I sold my anchor set-up--not worth the effort as I can get the smaller hali's by drifting with less trouble. I may get an argument from some guys but in my opinion you stand more chance of a really large hali on the hook with a bait bag. Just my 2 cents

Perhaps its the area fished that makes the difference?....I have only used them in northern waters...
My experience is that the further north you go the more groundfish go for glow stuff.

I've actually torn glow Salmon gear apart to make more lures when a good groundfish bite over rough ground at Englefield meant I was going through a lot of stuff.

North dog boy

Yes the light sticks that the kids use work very well !!!! heres a pro tip the green ones work the best if you can find the ones that have the hole at the top they are easy to attach to your spreader bar in front of your bait.Also glow and uv spreader bar are very effective I buy them at halibut.com. good luck out their !! be safe !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Ive tried both sets of lights as seen in the pics here on the forum.They work but are costly,Im sold on the glow sticks Im not going to say where I buy mine because they might be sold out lol... usually can find them for about one dollar each and I only use them when at anchor.That being said like spring fever due to reg / size change I don't anchor near as much as I used to because now we have to target chickens.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Spring fever

Jut curious if you have a favourite out of the three colours in the photo ?? you can pm me if you want thanks in advance !!

billydoo

Spring fever

Jut curious if you have a favourite out of the three colours in the photo ?? you can pm me if you want thanks in advance !!

billydoo
Really like the pearl -think it comes with a 7 colour flash -when it burns out I usually put in a clear light-they seem to last longer.
I have used the green with success as well-just don't seem to change if it's catching fish. The complaint from most guys is that they think the lights burn out quickly--I have several with the same lights from 2 years ago--BUT-I dry them carefully after use and store them in a dry place!!

Back