Kneed a knew knot for 80 lb nylon mono

• Thread starter Thread starter dog
  • Start date Start date
D

dog

Anyone have any knot advice for me here. My neighbour gave me a nice big old spool of 80 pound test nylon mono. Am thinking about spooling up a reel for big butts. Need a knot to tie to rings & swivels & clips.

You can use line crimp sleeves instead of a knot... I recommend you save it for leader line, I wouldn't spool a reel with it and use it for big butts. Nylon has to much stretch, and the large diameter of 80lb. test will create drag in the water causing your line to angle to far back fishing in deep water with a current. Better off using non stretch thin braid line or one of the many brands out there, Tuff Line,Spider wire ect. ect. What type of reel are you planning on putting this line on? 80lb. will take up lots of spool space, reducing your line yardage on the reel. If you have a big enough reel I'm sure it would work.. .. use crimp sleeves or test a variety of knots until you find one that will work with your 80lb. mono..

Well now that you mention reels, I started typing that I need a fourth if anyone near Steveston has a big old dog cheap, but decided not to ask, so I guess I would spool up my old Alvey which holds a fair pile, but has an annoying drag. The spool of line I got is 600 yards. Quite old. It is probably more than 10 years old. Thanks for the crimp sleeves info. I think I still have some crimps that I mistakenly bought for the downrigger cable. I lost one ball before discovering I used the wrong crimps on the stainless.

Back