Kicker Question

Your friend is wrong there are 2 different types.
The 2 stroke ones usually have 1 main pin with a little t handle the big 4 stroke ones have 2 main pins joined by a bar handle and are definattly beefed up.and for renny get a 4 stroke one YOU will need it!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WOLF

Wolf is right, here is a link so you can see the differences you will find most of these styles at any marine supply store but shop around prices will vary. This is one case where bigger is better when it comes to mounting a 4 stroke kicker.

http://www.saveonboating.com/products.asp?cat=63

The Garlick Offshore One is the one I would recomend and I think this is also what Wolf is talking about. JMHO.

Cheers ME

Ditto to Wolf. I managed to toast even the big heavy-duty four stroke kicker bracket, get a SOLID WELDED ONE! The only reason my 8hp stayed with me is the control cables! And you see the odd one coming in to Renfrew that fell off on the way there. Solid Welded is how I would roll, and it would be LOTS cheaper then an adjustable.

found it. yes that is the one I can pick up. I will check to see what shape it is in. Lastchance was talking about SOLID WELDED. I gathere that that is a permanent solotion?

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

found it. yes that is the one I can pick up. I will check to see what shape it is in. Lastchance was talking about SOLID WELDED. I gathere that that is a permanent solotion?

Not really, so long as your skeg does not throw water while your boat is running, there is no need for an adjustable kicker bracket. They all may splash a bit when you start moving, but once you are going, your kicker should be high and dry.

Whichever bracket you select - which I'm sure will be the right one- I think there is a value in having the motor strapped tight while trailering. I use a ratcheting type strap between the boat tie down eye to a new eyebolt I installed in the motorwell (with a large 6"x6" backing plate). Seems to stop the kicker bouncing around so much while trailering.
Anybody else do this?

I like that idea TIME. it is a long drive from Merritt to Renfrew. Will probably take it off for long drives but to Nicola Lake, Okanogan maybe not. But will certainly strap on. Thanks.

Solid welded means (to me) a bracket that is one solid piece of metal.Either made from stainless steel, aluminum or steel that would be primed and painted. It wouldn't be adjustable. It is mounted to the transom at the appropiate height so the kicker is in the water at the correct depth. I happen to have a solid bracket on my boat. Strong as hell. From past experience with those adjustable ones they have a tendency to drop down in rough seas. You can find pre-made solid brackets at some marine stores or you might go to a metal fabrication shop and have them make you one.

Thanks, anyone know what kind of cost you wold look at for a welded mount? Approxiamte, as I know it would depend on boat etc.

My 99 Merc fourstroke 15 horse tag says 112 pounds. I have broken three kicker brackets to date since I went fourstroke. The Stainless four stroke Garelick is crap. It flexes and bends just moving the motor with your hands while on the trailer. I broke or ovaled out the bolt holes on two of the heavier Garelick fourstroke kicker mounts. They work, but wear. The ocean when rough really puts a beating on them.

The best is the OMC 125 pound Auxillary motor bracket. It is the heaviest duty bracket I know of. New $720.00 U.S. I got mine off of ebay for $300.00. I didn't put it on my boat, but saved it for my bigger Trophy that I just bought. Here is the lighter OMC bracket. Its called the 15 horse. (The heavy is the 125 pounnd model) I think it is still stronger than any of the other adjustable kicker brackets.

If you can get the 125 pound model, do. It is pretty heavy itself. The head you put the kicker on is solid thick aluminum. The mounting holes of the bracket have a double bolt pattern on each side or four rows of holes to mount to the stern. This is the heavy duty one.

Here is the lighter one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-...455QQitemZ200086302772QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Back