Kicker Question

Merrittboy

Bought a merc 9.9 4 stroke. Can't believe how heavy it is. Is it going to be ok for a 18.5 Maxum? Just seems heavy to me but then I dont have anything else to go by as far as experience with motors, boats.[?]. Ideas?

I run a 9.9 merc on my 24 kingfisher and love it.A little heavier than the 2 stoke but I bet on the water u wont notice a difference except you'll be able to breath alot easier with out all the smoke LOL.

I just bought a 2007 Merc 9.9 4-stroke for my 16' Harbercraft. I also have a new 60 Merc 4stroke and the weight doesn't seem to be a problem. The actual weight for the 9.9 is about 90 lbs which is within a few pounds of the Yammy and Honda. I don't think you'll get anything lighter for a 4 stroke.

4-stokes are heavy but mounted on 18ft's all the time.

Think about mounting on the opposit corner from you seat to help balance out the boat.

No worries - what's is weight 118lbs or so?

Yes it will be mounted on the opposite side, will balance out as I am a biggy at 260. So should be fine then. I worry about the mount, but it also seems strong enough.

Make sure it is a bracket for a 4 stroke if its for a 2 stroke it WILL break!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

recheck your through bolts too - I had a honda 15 on the back of my old KnC and the top bolts of the kicker bracket broke fortunatly I'm paronid and I had a safety rope through the handle so I didn't loose the motor.

I foud over the yrs the bolts looke ok but they had rotted in the centre section

good ideas guys. The boat is stored in Harrison, I live in Merritt, so havent even had the chance to put kicker on. I just bought the boat in November and have only been out in it once! Hope to bring it up here in March to play with on Nicola Lake! Not the same as Renfrew but it will give me some practice! ( Nicola does get pretty windy in the spring though).

Yes and watch out for the heavy tide there too I hear its the worst in the province!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Wolf

I have had a kicker bounce off my transom in heavy seas (was tied down but was alone in rough seas trying to get the kicker back on - not fun). I now always bolt my kicker on my boat/bracket as well use a safety rope and make sure my clamps are tight. A bolted kicker is much more work for someone to steal as well.

now now, don't be mean to Nicola Lake! It is rated as one of the most windy lakes in North America! lol! I know it won't be the same but it will give some play time before I venture out there! I have heard about kickers coming off! Man my brain is getting filled with all this info! I do appreciate it! It never hurts to have too much advice!

Never hurts to have too much advice??? Must LOVE being married :D

Sorry, couldn't resist..... I'm very brave when she's NOT around....better delete the favorites link to this web site now.....

Just a word of caution when connecting your kicker to the boat via rope chain etc.The kicker is most likely to bust off when in rough water had a friend who had a kicker connected by rope and his kicker came lose and was smashing into his main motor .He was very lucky he got it off but he lost the kicker and by that time he had stern full of water. Almost better to leave it unattached and make sure u have the proper bracket.In his case it would have saved him major$$ and hull damage to just kiss his kicker goodbye.

No problem, my wife is semi computer illiterate! Although I still have to be careful! But after 27 years! She can handle it! [8D]

More on kicker. Man that sucker is heavey! Put it on my boat fianlly and I do think that the mount I have is too small. Friend told me that there was no such thing as a two stroke and four stroke mount, what do u think and where can I get something put on if there is a separate four stroke mount? Whats the danger of cracking the transom if the it bounces arounf too much? Thanks for the help.

Back