Kicker bracket install

smp747

Crew Member
I'm looking to mount an adventure marine fixed kicker bracket on my Skagit Orca 24xlc and seeking a solution to install the lower bolts into the kicker bracket.

I have a storage compartment on the deck where i can get the top bolts through, however the only place i can get the lower bolts into is the fishwell below it, but unfortunately it is too low for the lower hardware....

My options i have thought of is:
-modify the kicker bracket by adding a 4" plate at the bottom of it
-cut a 6" hole in the storage panel and remove the foam to access the hardware, install a round inspection hatch over top. Possibly refill foam?
-have a custom kicker bracket fabricated with a deeper profile to be able to access the bolts in the fishwell.

any input would be appreciated.
Untitled.png
20240530_090740.png

20240530_090814.jpg
20240530_090835.png

Sometimes you just have to ask silly questions out loud give yourself an answer. I think ill just get a custom bracket built.... but i should probably just pod it at this point... :)

Can you cut the bracket where the kicker mounts to this raising the install points? Looks like you may be able to have 2-3” off and still work

Can you move the bracket more to centre? Avoiding the fish locker and keeping all your mounting in the engine ‘room’?

Here is how one of the guys on the orca fb page has his mounted... it looks like they just drilled the lower bolt holes to a higher position to fit it all with the

I'm running a 2022 20hp suzuki efi DF20A Long shaft. If I need to make it a xl shaft I can buy and extention.

The adventure marine brackets are rated for 15hp/140lb and I'm putting on a suzuki 20/110lb Would there be any concern structurally on the boat or bracket by moving the bolt holes closer together?

Bracket holes are 5-1/2" center to center, I would probably be closer to 4" instead.

Messenger_creation_d88a7e88-cc93-4a61-87d3-62de8e9fa0dd.jpeg
Messenger_creation_c8539581-d4d7-449e-868a-bbdde2e7b45b.jpeg
Messenger_creation_8d677ae0-45da-433b-af79-28e0140759bc.jpeg

I contacted Bite me too and they're brackets are 10" with 6-1/2" center to center holes with room to slot if required.

I'll probably end up going with getting they're bracket as I don't like the idea of having so much clamping force over such a short span as what I would have to do to make the adventure marine one work..

A plug to both companies though.. I spoke to Greg at adventure marine, and Trevor at bite me too and they seem like great guys to deal with..

Bite me too's layout for reference...
20210806_184807.jpg

I don't have an Orca but I had a similar issue when I installed a Bite Me Too bracket on my Arima. There was no inside access to either set of bolts. Arimas installed their old Gaerlick brackets before the foam and liner went in. Many, many owners have had to do what I did, which is cut the liner and dig out the foam. In your case, it looks like you at least have free access to the area in question, my upper bolts were in a very awkward spot. Even with that, it only took me about 45 mins to cut the liner with a dremel and dig out the foam. I installed 1/2" aluminum backing plate in the process.

I would just cut an access hole where you need it.

I don't have an Orca but I had a similar issue when I installed a Bite Me Too bracket on my Arima. There was no inside access to either set of bolts. Arimas installed their old Gaerlick brackets before the foam and liner went in. Many, many owners have had to do what I did, which is cut the liner and dig out the foam. In your case, it looks like you at least have free access to the area in question, my upper bolts were in a very awkward spot. Even with that, it only took me about 45 mins to cut the liner with a dremel and dig out the foam. I installed 1/2" aluminum backing plate in the process.

I would just cut an access hole where you need it.
I have seen guys do similar things on a whaler to access the lower bolts to accommodate newer engines, however if i don't have to drill a 6" hole in my boat and remove foam ill do everything i can to avoid it. I thought about refilling the foam and then glassing over the hole, however i don't like the idea of not having access to the bolts for inspection purposes. If i didn't have access it would be my only option however the Bite Me Too bracket will accommodate my lower bolts in the fishwell...

I also have dreams and hopes of one day podding the boat, so i would have to redo it all over again if that day ever comes.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Back