Island rivers 2023

Whats happening mid island? Do I head to the Q or maybe the mouth of the little Q for choh or take my kids mushroom hunting instead this weekend

Fished the Somass at Somass Park this morning from around 8-10 AM ... there were 4 other anglers there when I arrived. River is moving pretty good .. I'd say a bit faster than walking speed. No one was catching anything while I was there ... but one angler did walk away with a nice silver that he must have landed before I arrived (couldn't tell the species from where I was standing). Was expecting more action .. .not sure if I'm early or late??

It can be hit or miss with salmon once they are in the river, they can be locked up and a window can open for a short period of time that they are biting. As mentioned before first and last light are triggers (maybe the salmon you saw was caught as the sun came up) I would also say precipitation can be a trigger too if the river is on the rise or freshly receding. My experience is having no expectations other then enjoying the time by the river, there are only a couple fisheries I have dialed in when I expect to get my fish but the one chance I had at them this year I struck out(no fish). Its good to fish around other people and see how they are having success/what methods are working/if the spot is good. We are going to get a bunch of rain on Monday and Tuesday I would think that will trigger some coho to move those would be good days on the water.

thanks for the report though some day I will get over to that system and give it a shot.

Fished the Somass at Somass Park this morning from around 8-10 AM ... there were 4 other anglers there when I arrived. River is moving pretty good .. I'd say a bit faster than walking speed. No one was catching anything while I was there ... but one angler did walk away with a nice silver that he must have landed before I arrived (couldn't tell the species from where I was standing). Was expecting more action .. .not sure if I'm early or late??
You are late. The fact that there were only 4 guys there lets you know the bulk of the run has already gone up the river.

I was at the Big Q and Little Q yesterday to take a look at what was going on.

The fish are all spawned out, there were a few chucking gear at the fish above the hatchery at the Big Q, but the fish literally move out of the way as their offerings came at them.

I think coho off the beach would be more successful.

I was at the Big Q and Little Q yesterday to take a look at what was going on.

The fish are all spawned out, there were a few chucking gear at the fish above the hatchery at the Big Q, but the fish literally move out of the way as their offerings came at them.

I think coho off the beach would be more successful.

Yupp now is the time for fun on the beach/estuary 🎣🎣

Fished Somass park for 2 hours this afternoon. Hooked 4 landed 1 dark spring that went back. Surprised by the amount of coho still jumping down river by the campground so definitely still a few about. River moving quite quickly so be careful crossing if anyone goes. Definitely recommend a wading pole

Iv got a question about the Nanaimo river. Do the salmon head that far up ? Can they make it above the lakes? I dont think theres any waterfalls to stop them is there?

Back