Island rivers 2023

suppose i should be checking the punt daily to see if i can spot some chinook ahead of opening on sept 1.

maybe even go throw a line.

as mentioned above, CR has pinks running right now and they are in there THICK. so much so that not foul hooking one on your retrieve is an achievement. if you cast to the areas where the chinook hold during the pink run there are a good number of them to be caught right now too. i landed one and lost one the other night. saw another guy land one that was 25-30 lb range. nice fish. i've seen another buddy land 5 or 6 also and he claims to have landed 17 already last we spoke.

14+mm soft beads or a really large ball of wool seem to keep most pinks from touching it when targeting chinook

Visited a flow that is still open today no salmon yet but lots of cutties and a few very nice little summer runs

Attachments

• 20230825_131430.jpg
    20230825_131430.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 68
fished the punt last night and there are a lot of fish around.

landed about a dozen pinks and a single chinook. small female maybe 8 lbs. a buddy landed a few others, and everything we caught was already fairly dark. hopefully some silvers push into the river for opening next week.

Busy at the big Q today. Lost of dark.pinks shooting around still. A few Springs pushing through but no luck for me or my son.

Hi, looking for some advice, hoping someone here can help me out. First time fly fishing for Springs on the Puntledge.

I recently acquired a 9wt Spey rod.

Suggestions for fly patterns and locations (aside from Condensory Bridge) would be greatly appreciated!

Big Q was busy, nothing new there. Lots of fish in the usual places.
Pink soft beads for the win. Of all the fish my son and i had. Only 2 snags and one was top of head.
Watches guys fire twich jigs all day and get nothing but Snags all the time.20230903_110320.jpg

I was out there Saturday morning nothing worked for me using mottled orange with a size 14 bnr bead what size bead were you rocking?

Whats the word anyone on big Q? Are fresh Chinook still heading up? Was unable to go last week. And want to bring my son again.

they let up 2000 on Saturday, about 50/50 clean and darker ones, more of a challenge getting through the moldy pinks unsnagged. I was float fishing soft beads on Sunday to avoid snagging and had no love, I was bouncing it off the springs noses.

Back